Another AOS vaccination surprise: chickenpox

Wikiposts

Another AOS vaccination surprise: chickenpox

Old Jan 6th 2003, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

groovy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another AOS vaccination surprise: chickenpox

Hi all,

For the record of the group I´ll post what happened to us today. We were told by INS that to AOS in CT we needed my vaccination records signed by a civil surgeon in the US nevermind the physical and everything I did back in my country for K1 in october. So I went with all my records to one of this civil surgeons on our area and he looked at everything and said: "yes, I´ll do it, I charge 50$. "

OK so far...

Then he looked at my records and said: "You are up to date with MMR, DT and evertyhing else but YOU DO NEED CHICKENPOX..."

What????

I did have chickenpox when I was a child. I still have a mark in fact. And he said it is a new requirement and that if I had it I shoul have either records of it or a blood test for antibodies !

We tried with a second civil surgeon and got the same story.

So I guess I´ll have to do something about it but for sure I am not getting another shot of something I am already inmune to.

I just hope that with all this news and time lost we´ll be on time for my AOS...

Best,
groovy
Old Jan 6th 2003, 10:21 am
Son 5 & Daughter 2 1/2

Pete F is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another AOS vaccination surprise: chickenpox

Originally posted by groovy
Hi all,

For the record of the group I´ll post what happened to us today. We were told by INS that to AOS in CT we needed my vaccination records signed by a civil surgeon in the US nevermind the physical and everything I did back in my country for K1 in october. So I went with all my records to one of this civil surgeons on our area and he looked at everything and said: "yes, I´ll do it, I charge 50$. "

OK so far...

Then he looked at my records and said: "You are up to date with MMR, DT and evertyhing else but YOU DO NEED CHICKENPOX..."

What????

I did have chickenpox when I was a child. I still have a mark in fact. And he said it is a new requirement and that if I had it I shoul have either records of it or a blood test for antibodies !

Best,
groovy

Hi Groovy.. Can you get a copy of your records?

Seems a tad mean.. Hmm Ok.. as an aside, I did get a copy of my Medical records from my Doctor for the cost of £50 which covered their time and paper and photocopying. I just checked my records and it has an entry for 25th March 1965 for Chickenpox.. Phew..

Actually. While waiting for my Visa, I have had an Eye checkup due to a small problem with fluid behind the retina (common for fella's my age apparently) and the Consultant told me some of the practices in the states are less than honest..

If you need laser treatment, they charge by the shot of laser.. Soooo to make money , they turn the laser's power output down and then fire away..
Hmmm..

Good Luck tho..
Pete
Old Jan 6th 2003, 10:43 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The chicken pox vaccination requirement is not new. Don't get a second one. Have them do the simple blood test for antibodies. Didn't they tell you this when you had your medical for the K-1?

Rete

Hi all,

OK so far...

What????

So I guess I´ll have to do something about it but for sure I am not getting another shot of something I am already inmune to.

I just hope that with all this news and time lost we´ll be on time for my AOS...

Best,
groovy
Old Jan 6th 2003, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

groovy is an unknown quantity at this point

No, Rete... unfortunaly the did not tell me I was told I needed MMR and TD and I got those shots. So I guess I have to try to either get the test for antibodies or my records.... from prehistoric times!

Aynway, thanks for the imput and support. I just wrote this to the NG because I found out something new for me and I got mad at INS :-)

I´ll work it out with same delay for AOS...

groovy
Old Jan 6th 2003, 1:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

No, Rete... unfortunaly the did not tell me I was told I needed MMR and TD and I got those shots. So I guess I have to try to either get the test for antibodies or my records.... from prehistoric times!

Aynway, thanks for the imput and support. I just wrote this to the NG because I found out something new for me and I got mad at INS :-)

I´ll work it out with same delay for AOS...

groovy
Glad you wrote about it Groovy. It has not been mentioned here in a while and it was a hot topic for a while there as some countries, such as Canada, do not have the vaccine to give people. The antibodies test is just the drawing of a little blood and can probably be done by your regular doctor and the results taken to the INS doctor as verification of your immunity.

Good Luck
Rete
Old Jan 6th 2003, 2:30 pm
Banned

Ranjini will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Rete
Glad you wrote about it Groovy. It has not been mentioned here in a while and it was a hot topic for a while there as some countries, such as Canada, do not have the vaccine to give people. The antibodies test is just the drawing of a little blood and can probably be done by your regular doctor and the results taken to the INS doctor as verification of your immunity.

Good Luck
Rete
Rete: The K1 ers from the UK reported on this newsgroup that the varicella vaccine was not available there, and therefore not required for the K1 in the UK. I remember there was one forumer ( I cannot recall exactly who) who would get quite insistent whenever the varicella vaccine was mentioned, even in connection with another Consulate!!
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

Margueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really niceMargueriteuk is just really nice
Default Chicken Pox and all that jazz

The saga continues..

As previously posted, I had my antibody test for Varicella. The test result came back negative - I am not immune, despite having had chickenpox as a child of about 5. Is this possible or is someone determined to get their hands on my cash??

I have to pay another $75 for this !!!

Marguerite
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:11 am
Concierge

Originally posted by Ranjini
Rete: The K1 ers from the UK reported on this newsgroup that the varicella vaccine was not available there, and therefore not required for the K1 in the UK. I remember there was one forumer ( I cannot recall exactly who) who would get quite insistent whenever the varicella vaccine was mentioned, even in connection with another Consulate!!
Yes I know that Ranjini. But that is why so many people from those countries should have the blood test for the anti-bodies before going to the INS physical. If they test positive for it, then they don't have to have it.

It stinks that they have to do this. I'm a USC and I've never had the shot and I've never had the pox either.

Rete
Old Jan 16th 2003, 8:12 am
Concierge

Default Re: Chicken Pox and all that jazz

Originally posted by Margueriteuk
The saga continues..

As previously posted, I had my antibody test for Varicella. The test result came back negative - I am not immune, despite having had chickenpox as a child of about 5. Is this possible or is someone determined to get their hands on my cash??

I have to pay another $75 for this !!!

Marguerite
Are you 100% sure it was chicken pox you had? And why $75? Why can't your primary physician give it to you and then you take that slip to the INS?

Just some thoughts.

Rete
Old Jan 17th 2003, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

Carl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

OK so far...

What????

Best,
groovy

This is all clearly laid out on the INS website. It lists all the required vaccinations - including varicella (chicken pox). It also states that while K-1ers don't need to repeat the medical exam in the US, they do need to bring a certified vaccination record to the AOS interview.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 5:36 am
Banned

Originally posted by Carl
This is all clearly laid out on the INS website. It lists all the required vaccinations - including varicella (chicken pox). It also states that while K-1ers don't need to repeat the medical exam in the US, they do need to bring a certified vaccination record to the AOS interview.
I believe this is the link that Carl is referring to:
http://149.101.23.2/graphics/i-693faq.htm

The problem here, Carl, is that the procedure varies from consulate, and from one INS field office to another. Most consulate from what I have been reading here, over the past 4 or 5 years, require only TD and MMR. Most of the other vaccines are only required for children of a certain age. Varicella is required by some consulates but not the UK, simply because the vaccine is not available.
When it comes to AOS our field office did not require anything. The information that was required was right in the brown envelope we brought over from the consulate. To quote from the webpage above, "you do not require another medical examination as long as your application for adjustment of status (Form I-485) is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination" Some field offices require the I-693 filled out by a civil surgeon, some do not.
In these instances, the information on the INS website is quite useless, in that one has to know what is required by the particular consulate or field office that one is dealing with.
That's where the usefullness of this forum comes in. The input of the forumers dealing with those particular agencies.
Old Jan 17th 2003, 7:27 am
Targaff

Carl wrote in news:[email protected]:

> This is all clearly laid out on the INS website. It lists all the
    > required vaccinations - including varicella (chicken pox). It also
    > states that while K-1ers don't need to repeat the medical exam in the
    > US, they do need to bring a certified vaccination record to the AOS
    > interview.

Okay, hrm... which form is this/what does it look like? I'm looking through my
documents and I'm really not certain I have a copy; I have my (still unopened) x-ray
and the form you have to fill out in advance asking whether you're deathly ill or not,
but I can't see anything else, even though I remember the doctor filling it out.

Is it possible it got put in the not-so-little brown envelope? :/

--

Targaff

Old Jan 17th 2003, 9:10 am
Banned

Originally posted by Targaff

Okay, hrm... which form is this/what does it look like? I'm looking through my
documents and I'm really not certain I have a copy; I have my (still unopened) x-ray
and the form you have to fill out in advance asking whether you're deathly ill or not,
but I can't see anything else, even though I remember the doctor filling it out.

Is it possible it got put in the not-so-little brown envelope? :/

--

Targaff
What stage of the process are you in? If you are at the consulate stage, the form should be in your brown envelope, which is intended for the INS office where you will file AOS.
Ranjini
Old Jan 17th 2003, 3:27 pm
Targaff

Ranjini wrote in news:617283.1042841405
@britishexpats.com:

> What stage of the process are you in? If you are at the consulate
    > stage, the form should be in your brown envelope, which is intended for
    > the INS office where you will file AOS.

Getting ready to submit docs to the service centre to apply for AoS (i.e.
just got married).

If the medical report was in the brown envelope, then *phew* I don't have
to worry... I know I haven't seen it since the day of my K1 interview, so
I can only presume that's the case. Best had be, anyhow, I can't afford
to get another medical done...

Thanks,

--

Targaff

Old Jan 18th 2003, 3:50 am
Banned

Originally posted by Targaff
Ranjini wrote in news:617283.1042841405
@britishexpats.com:

> What stage of the process are you in? If you are at the consulate
    > stage, the form should be in your brown envelope, which is intended for
    > the INS office where you will file AOS.

Getting ready to submit docs to the service centre to apply for AoS (i.e.
just got married).

If the medical report was in the brown envelope, then *phew* I don't have
to worry... I know I haven't seen it since the day of my K1 interview, so
I can only presume that's the case. Best had be, anyhow, I can't afford
to get another medical done...

Thanks,

--

Targaff
You file for AOS at your local field office. Not at the service center.
Here is something you should be aware of and which I would check on, if I were you. You should make inquiries as to the procedure for your local office in connection with the I-693. Some require it, some don't. Check out this link:
http://www.kamya.com/intro/k-1a.html#faos
Call your local field office and find out what their requirements are. Best wishes,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.