Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Another Affidavit of Support Question...

Wikiposts

Another Affidavit of Support Question...

Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Gu2Me is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Affidavit of Support Question...

Hello -

Me - UKC Wife - USC. 2 x children UK/US Citizens. I-130

I am just about to submit my collected paperwork check sheet to the Embassy in London and was wondering about the I-864.

We have fairly substantial savings (in the US) and equity in our house here in the UK to be able to sponsor myself and family.
Can I do this or do I HAVE to have someone in the US sponsoring me?

We both have good paying jobs here in the UK but will be going to the US without any employment set up though expect to get the same sort of employment paying about the same.

I can submit three years of tax returns and proof of funds available etc. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:41 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Affidavit of Support Question...

Your wife is the one who has to submit 3 years of US tax returns, I assume you mean those.

You can certainly use joint assets (savings and home equity), if it reaches the right amount. Gto www.uscis.gov, Immigration Forms, I-864P. Find the row for family size of 4. Look at the 125% column. Take that figure and multiply it by 3.

That is the amount you'll need to show in assets.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

Sorry - yes my wife will submit the tax returns.

That answers my question nicely. We meet the requirements, though I wasnt 100% sure if we could sponsor ourselves. .

Hypothetically - how long would I have to find a job once I get to the US? Do they check up to see if my savings have run out and I will then have to claim social? Is there a minimum amount of savings? Just wondered. Thanks.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:54 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gu2Me

That answers my question nicely. We meet the requirements, though I wasnt 100% sure if we could sponsor ourselves. .

Hypothetically - how long would I have to find a job once I get to the US? Do they check up to see if my savings have run out and I will then have to claim social? Is there a minimum amount of savings? Just wondered. Thanks.
You're not really sponsoring yourselves. Your USC wife is sponsoring you. She is listing joint assets as her way of showing she has the resources to support you.

They do not check up on you once you get to the USA, no. You can find a job as quickly or as slowly as you like. If your savings runs out and you have to use a means-tested benefit (like food stamps), then the government agency will come after your wife for repayment (that's what the I-864 is for). There is no minimum amount of savings you need to keep, once you are inside the USA.

Rene
Old Jul 30th 2008, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

Rene - thankyou for your help.

Sometimes its hard to see the wood for the trees
Old Jul 30th 2008, 8:16 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gu2Me

heheheh..

I'm one who sponsored almost totally on assets (foreign OH had some foreign income). I was asked if I would get a j o b and of course said yes. I've changed my mind since. My immigrant spouse never got a j o b in the US and he's now a USC.
Come, be job free!