Reload this Page >

American wife returning to UK

Wikiposts

American wife returning to UK

Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:05 am
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American wife returning to UK

Hi.My American citizen wife who has previously lived in the UK for 10+ years and who has a NI number will be returning to the UK shortly from the USA after a 15 year departure.Will she need any type of visa etc?at the UK POE,Thankyou for any information.Cheers.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:37 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: American wife returning to UK

Originally Posted by IN THE YEAR 2525
Hi.My American citizen wife who has previously lived in the UK for 10+ years and who has a NI number will be returning to the UK shortly from the USA after a 15 year departure.Will she need any type of visa etc?at the UK POE,Thankyou for any information.Cheers.

I understand that if her passport was annotated by the UK authorities as having "Indefinite Leave to Remain" (basically permanent resident status) then I think she would be fine.

However, I'm not an expert, so to get a definitive answer (rather than getting possibly incorrect info on an internet site LOL!) then do check here:

http://www.britainusa.com

Go to the Consular section and you can contact one of the consulates or US Embassy in Washington DC.

Good Luck!
PS. Why is she intending to return to the UK if you don't mind me asking? Are you going with her?
Old Dec 6th 2004, 12:57 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American wife returning to UK

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I understand that if her passport was annotated by the UK authorities as having "Indefinite Leave to Remain" (basically permanent resident status) then I think she would be fine.
No, this is not correct.

UK permanent residence normally expires after two years absent from the UK.

She needs either a returning resident entry clearance, or a new spouse visa. Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Turning up at a UK port of entry as a tourist is not recommended (strong risk of being refused entry).

Jeremy
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:50 am
Banned

IN THE YEAR 2525 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American wife returning to UK

Originally Posted by JAJ
No, this is not correct.

UK permanent residence normally expires after two years absent from the UK.

She needs either a returning resident entry clearance, or a new spouse visa. Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Turning up at a UK port of entry as a tourist is not recommended (strong risk of being refused entry).

Jeremy

Thanking you both for your replies.Cheers.