Reload this Page >

American spouse moving to UK

Wikiposts

American spouse moving to UK

Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:39 am
Just Joined

cateok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American spouse moving to UK

My husband (English - mickok on this forum) and I (American from North Carolina who is an adaptable personality) are moving to the Northeast of England later this year. My questions are: Biggest surprises? Issues? Concerns for American adapting? I think one concern I have is finding a good dentist, as I have some complex dental issues.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American spouse moving to UK

Originally Posted by cateok
My husband (English - mickok on this forum) and I (American from North Carolina who is an adaptable personality) are moving to the Northeast of England later this year. My questions are: Biggest surprises? Issues? Concerns for American adapting? I think one concern I have is finding a good dentist, as I have some complex dental issues.
There are plenty of good dentists in the UK - the majority of them will be private and not on the NHS - so be prepared to pay for your treatment.

Rather like the US so it should not come as a nasty shock.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:15 am
Just Joined

That's what I figured...thanks so much.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 5:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah Fox made that thing up about us pulling our teeth out with pliers.

People in the north east do tend to see themselves as different from the rest of the country, ee pet you should be aal reet though
Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:43 am
Just Joined

sebsie is an unknown quantity at this point

can i ask if u went thru the k1 visa to marry? if so how long did u give before you decided to move to uk and how long does it take? thanks
Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sebsie
can i ask if u went thru the k1 visa to marry? if so how long did u give before you decided to move to uk and how long does it take? thanks
K1 visa is for people going the other way isn't it? i.e. for those moving to the US?

Welcome to BE btw.

Old Apr 7th 2012, 7:52 am
Just Joined

sebsie is an unknown quantity at this point

yes it is, but i am hoping to return to the uk one day and was wondering how to go about it and what i need to do? thank you
Old Apr 9th 2012, 10:01 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Take a look here:

http://talk.uk-yankee.com/

It is for Americans in the UK, many of whom are there by marriage and won't necessarily be living in London but in other parts. They'll have some practical advice on things like bringing the TV or where to find Mexican food, but it's also worth looking at the Homesickness and Hard Times board which describes some of the pitfalls of moving. Some of the complaints / concerns mirror some of the things you see here (i.e. problems all expats face no matter where they are from or where they are currently living).

One other point: what is your husband's status in the US? Citizen, green card? You should be aware of the issue of 'green card abandonment' if your permanent residence is no longer in the USA.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 2:34 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: American spouse moving to UK

I spent a few days in England last week and read an article about dental treatment in a national newspaper (sadly I can't remember which one, it may have been one of the weekend supplements).

It highly recommended having treatment at one of the university dental schools: a few people had been interviewed and were delighted with their top-notch treatment which was vastly cheaper than going to a local dentist.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-28292917/

(There is a dental school in Leeds as well)

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:36 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

The NE has lots of good dentists....honestly.

I'm interested about what getting a UK visa was like for you as a retiring non-EU spouse. How did the visa folks assess your income for the visa requirements?
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishmum
I spent a few days in England last week and read an article about dental treatment in a national newspaper (sadly I can't remember which one, it may have been one of the weekend supplements).

It highly recommended having treatment at one of the university dental schools: a few people had been interviewed and were delighted with their top-notch treatment which was vastly cheaper than going to a local dentist.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north...2703-28292917/

(There is a dental school in Leeds as well)

Hope this helps!
Oh thanks so much...helps tremendously!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks everyone...esp the dental information. My hub is a UK citizen and I will be applying for a work visa soon. I don't really have that many concerns. Folks is folks...at least that's been my experience. I just don't want to put my foot in it.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 2:09 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone...esp the dental information. My hub is a UK citizen and I will be applying for a work visa soon. I don't really have that many concerns. Folks is folks...at least that's been my experience. I just don't want to put my foot in it.
The issue with getting a visa for you is that you are a non-EU spouse and you have to prove that you have a certain amount of annual income. If you can show that there won't be an issue.