Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

american marrying a scotsman

Wikiposts

american marrying a scotsman

Old May 2nd 2002, 11:40 pm
Kimmers

Default american marrying a scotsman

Can anyone help with what kind of paperwork I would need to fill out?? I have been
calling places and looking for sites but am a bit overwhelmed at what to do, the
places I have called I am on hold for too long or no one has gotten back to me. We
want to marry in the UK and remain living here. Thanks for your help. Feel free to
email me personally thanks.

kimmers

Old May 3rd 2002, 12:56 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: american marrying a scotsman

YOu will have to apply for residency in the UK. There are several Brits in the NG that will give you advice on how to accomplish that. I believe it is quite easy. Has your fiancee called his immigration agency to find out the wherefores? If not, have you tried called the British Consulate?
Old May 3rd 2002, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to secure a marriage settlement visa from the British Consulate before your arrival in the UK. This is a very straightforward process and takes a day in person or a week or two by post. You need to satisfy the consulate that you have met your fiancé in person, that you have somewhere to live in the UK and that you have sufficient funds to support you. You won't be able to work in the UK until after your marriage, which generally has to take place within six months of your arrival.

More info from http://www.britainusa.com and http://www.velvet.net/bliss
Old May 3rd 2002, 2:40 am
S.M.

Kimmers My wife and I went through this process recently in the US ( British embassy
New York ) and got the fiance visa for the low low price of $372!!. The best advise
is to go to this web site and begin getting all the information together
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/guid...Fiance(e)s.asp

If you have any more questions let us know
S.M.

"Kimmers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Can anyone help with what kind of paperwork I would need to fill out?? I have been
    > calling places and looking for sites but am a bit overwhelmed at what to do, the
    > places I have called I am on hold for too long or no one has gotten back to me. We
    > want to marry in the UK and remain living here. Thanks for your help. Feel free to
    > email me personally thanks.
    >
    > kimmers

Old May 3rd 2002, 3:10 am
Jb

Kimmers wrote:
    >
    > Can anyone help with what kind of paperwork I would need to fill out?? I have been
    > calling places and looking for sites but am a bit overwhelmed at what to do, the
    > places I have called I am on hold for too long or no one has gotten back to me. We
    > want to marry in the UK and remain living here. Thanks for your help. Feel free to
    > email me personally thanks.
    >
    > kimmers

Are you in the UK now (where is the "here" you refer to)? Marrying in the UK is
simple. My wife and I were married in London and no license, blood test or waiting
period (other than to reserve the location for the date we wanted) was required. Our
passports were the only documentation required. The fee was not great (60 pounds or
so but I can't remember).

Contact your local UK council for more information. The registrar suggested that I (a
US citizen) notify the US embassy after the marriage but I didn't because it seemed
irrelevant. The only notification the Embassy had was when I submitted an I-130
application to them some months later.

If you want to marry in the UK and stay in the UK use the link Alvena provided in her
post. It tells you all you need to know. Marry and fill out a relatively simple
(approximately 12 page) form. Post it or go in person to an IND (Immigration and
Nationality Directorate, the UK equivalent of INS) 'public caller unit', show them
your documentation and they will stamp your passport.

You will then be able to remain in the UK for 1 year and work for any employer. After
one year you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residency) in the
UK. Additional documentation that the marriage is still valid will be required then.
The process is simple. If you plan to go in person go very early.

joe

Old May 3rd 2002, 3:22 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see a response from Alvena.

Do see one from Ameriscot though. As always we offers good sound advice
Old May 3rd 2002, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to clarify something brought up by JB - it is very strongly recommended that you start your dealings with the IND *outside* the UK and to enter the UK on a marriage settlement visa. Things get really, really messy when you enter as a tourist and try to adjust status.

I don't think there is any need to return to the US to do this - you can do it at any British Consulate - Brussels and Paris being the closest. You can do it either before or after the wedding.
Old May 3rd 2002, 10:40 am
Jb

Ameriscot wrote:
    >
    > Just to clarify something brought up by JB - it is very strongly recommended that
    > you start your dealings with the IND *outside* the UK and to enter the UK on a
    > marriage settlement visa. Things get really, really messy when you enter as a
    > tourist and try to adjust status.

I assumed that when the poster wrote "here" that the UK was meant. She (?) said, "We
want to marry in the UK and remain living here." The question of location wasn't
answered but you are correct. Entry clearance is absolutely necessary if the person
is outside the UK now.

But, there isn't enough detail in the original post. I have no experience with this,
but if the person is in the UK as a student there will probably be no problem.
Tourist status could cause a problem as you indicate.

Old May 3rd 2002, 10:40 am
Jb

Rete wrote:
    >
    > I don't see a response from Alvena.
    >
    > Do see one from Ameriscot though. As always we offers good sound advice

According to my newsserver's article timestamps Alvena's answer was posted about 10
minutes afer the original question.