Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:24 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Originally Posted by Stribs
K-1 Visa - Regarding the enter 6 months from being approved (Or from your medical I heard) and then having 90 days to get married......

Does the 90 days have to be used within the 6 months, or could I enter on the 5th month and then get married on the 88th day (I don't plan this, just using the extreme case)

Thanks
You can enter the USA anytime before the K-1 visa expires. Once you get inside the USA, you then have 90 days to get married.

The "90-days to get married" requirement is not linked to the K-1 visa expiration date. The 90-day clock for marriage starts ticking whenever you enter the USA.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:46 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

You have 90 days after entry to get married, regardless of the expiration date of the paper visa in your passport. If that's on the 88th day you're still golden - as long as you promptly file the paperwork to Adjust Status.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 8:08 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
You have 90 days after entry to get married, regardless of the expiration date of the paper visa in your passport. If that's on the 88th day you're still golden - as long as you promptly file the paperwork to Adjust Status.
Just to further what civilservant said, the only requirement is that you marry within 90 days of entry. It's best to file AOS as soon as possible after marriage, but there is no requirement to file it within the 90 days. If you file it after 90 days, keep in mind that you will go "out of status" after the 90-day mark, but it won't be held against you when your AOS is adjudicated.

Rene
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:37 pm
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Correct me if I am wrong (and I probably am because my K-1 journey was 18 years ago!), but I thought that during the time between landing and marrying you were allowed to work? Once married, you were no longer allowed to work until AOS?
Old Jan 9th 2014, 9:40 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

While a K1 holder is able to work, they have no proof of such. For that reason, many do not.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
That's perfect, thanks.

All paperwork is signed, sealed and Fedex state it will be delivered tomorrow.

The journey begins... When things actually happen will get a timeline up.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

As per the timeline thread, we have received our NoA1 I-797C.

Pending no RFE (Please no RFE!!!) will the next contact be approval for me to start my fun?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:04 pm

As per the timeline thread, we have received our NoA1 I-797C.

Pending no RFE (Please no RFE!!!) will the next contact be approval for me to start my fun?
If no RFE, then the next contact will be another I-797C (Notice of Action), commonly referred to as NOA2, which should be the approval (or denial) of the I-129F.

Rene
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If no RFE, then the next contact will be another I-797C (Notice of Action), commonly referred to as NOA2, which should be the approval (or denial) of the I-129F.

Rene
Eek, I always forget there is a 2nd option (Denial)!

Is the below timeframe until we receive the NOA2? (Not to be taken as a set time period, got it!)
Attached Thumbnails American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....-picture-8.png  
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:29 pm
Often not so civil...

Yes - although it should be noted that was last updated in November.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:29 pm

Eek, I always forget there is a 2nd option (Denial)!

Is the below timeframe until we receive the NOA2? (Not to be taken as a set time period, got it!)
Approximately, yes.

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Once my fiancee (USC) gets the NOA2, Is there a time limit when I (UK) start my process from England, or can I wait a couple of months to try and get a better wedding date (Weather)?
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 12:46 am

Once my fiancee (USC) gets the NOA2, Is there a time limit when I (UK) start my process from England, or can I wait a couple of months to try and get a better wedding date (Weather)?
The I-129F petition, once approved, is valid for 4 months (meaning you are supposed to interview before that expires). However, many people can't interview by then, and no one has had a problem extending that validity date (which is done at the time of your interview).

So, you can probably wait a couple of months before taking the next step after the NOA2 arrives. You might want to keep in touch with London to make sure they know you're not abandoning the case; that you just need a bit more time (you don't have to give them the reason).

Also, don't forget that the visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical, plus the 90 days you have after arrival in order to get married. Your part of the visa process after NOA2 probably takes 2 or 3 months. So you're still looking at a possible 7 or 8 months of time from NOA2 until you have to get married.

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Rene.

We always worked off, when everything is approved my end, we would have that 9 months, but realistically 7, as I dont want to enter the US on the last month of the 6 and don't want to marry on the last 30 days of the 90 so I have time for AOS.

I leave the US on Friday, and then the being apart for a ridiculous amount of time for an engaged couple begins. tough, but exciting times!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 3:00 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rene.

We always worked off, when everything is approved my end, we would have that 9 months, but realistically 7, as I dont want to enter the US on the last month of the 6 and don't want to marry on the last 30 days of the 90 so I have time for AOS.

I leave the US on Friday, and then the being apart for a ridiculous amount of time for an engaged couple begins. tough, but exciting times!
Stribs, if I could do it, so can you two. Promise. We've almost all been through it and did well. Just two words of motherly advice that helped and comforted me Always make an agreed-upon time to connect with each other each day, and put that connection time first. And don't borrow/anticipate trouble!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.