Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:10 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Originally Posted by Stribs
Can you enter the US whilst either the I-129 or K-1 are pending as a visitor?
I-129F, you mean. Yes, you are allowed to visit the USA while all that is pending. However, it seems you're already experiencing some difficulties on your US visits...just don't be surprised if one day you get bounced at the POE.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I was taken into the drunk tank one night, i had to pay an £80 fine and never went to court. Does this stuff ever show up?

(I was wrongly accused of head butting someone, I don't even know how to do that!)
I don't know if that's an arrest or not. But either way, just be honest on all the immigration paperwork.

You asked about the police report...you will need to have that in hand before your medical exam. You need to take a copy of it with you to the exam.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I-129F, you mean. Yes, you are allowed to visit the USA while all that is pending. However, it seems you're already experiencing some difficulties on your US visits...just don't be surprised if one day you get bounced at the POE.

Rene
A couple of times I have come over and stayed for 88 days, things like that. They told me I was absuing the VWP. I dont work. I save and live here. We stay at her Mums (Thankfully she is away a lot of the time) and my Fiance pays for some things when im here, and I pay for some things when shes in England. It's just what we have to do.

This time coming in was a nightmare. They took my phone and looked through my messages. They got a more important man to come over and question me intensely (The meanest man i've ever met, he said "I cant see how I can let you in")

But the only reason I got in was I told them I was proposing and the 1st man said he had a girl who he loved and knew my situation. He's my hero.

When you say bounced you mean shipped back on a plane?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:22 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rich

I was taken into the drunk tank one night, i had to pay an £80 fine and never went to court. Does this stuff ever show up?

(I was wrongly accused of head butting someone, I don't even know how to do that!)
Don't know. My guess it is same as a speeding fine and won't count for anything, but does the gf know about it? Wouldn't like to have that sprung on her at the wrong moment.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:32 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah she's heard it, more as a funny anecdote than anything taken seriously.

Girls ran up to bouncers in a club and pointed at me saying I had harmed their friend.

I had not

The bouncers kicked me out, I thought fine, kebab and home.

Said girls then ran to the police standing outside and shouted the same offense (I did not commit). They then hand cuffed me and paraded me through the street like a common thug. Had a lovely sleep in a cell then let out in the morning.

Anyway I digress.

Not being able to work for another 2 months after applying for the AOS seems tough going.

I would come to the US on my K-1, get married then still not be able to work?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:58 am

A couple of times I have come over and stayed for 88 days, things like that. They told me I was absuing the VWP. I dont work. I save and live here. We stay at her Mums (Thankfully she is away a lot of the time) and my Fiance pays for some things when im here, and I pay for some things when shes in England. It's just what we have to do.

This time coming in was a nightmare. They took my phone and looked through my messages. They got a more important man to come over and question me intensely (The meanest man i've ever met, he said "I cant see how I can let you in")

But the only reason I got in was I told them I was proposing and the 1st man said he had a girl who he loved and knew my situation. He's my hero.

When you say bounced you mean shipped back on a plane?
Yes, I mean turned around at the POE and sent back on the next plane out. From what happened to you on this entry, I'd leave it as long as possible before trying another VWP visit...more than 3 or 4 months for sure.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2013, 3:59 am

Correct. You enter on the K-1. You get married. You file AOS. As part of the AOS paperwork, you can apply for an Employment Authorization Document. It takes about 60 - 90 days to get the EAD in hand. Until you have the EAD in hand, you won't be able to get hired anywhere.

Rene
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:06 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah she's heard it, more as a funny anecdote than anything taken seriously.

Girls ran up to bouncers in a club and pointed at me saying I had harmed their friend.

I had not

The bouncers kicked me out, I thought fine, kebab and home.

Said girls then ran to the police standing outside and shouted the same offense (I did not commit). They then hand cuffed me and paraded me through the street like a common thug. Had a lovely sleep in a cell then let out in the morning.

Anyway I digress.

Not being able to work for another 2 months after applying for the AOS seems tough going.

It may be different now but I was able to work for a while, then stop then start again. If I remember, I could get a 3 month work permit based on the K1 visa, then once AOS was applied for I could get a one year permit. 6 month gap between.
More from my time line:

1 July Applied EAD
15 july Applied SSN
;;;recieve SSN
6 August Wedding
7 August Reciept for EAD (dated 15? July)
16 Aug 2004 EAD received (valid 3 months from 15 July!!)
?May 2005 new 1 year ead can work again.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

I may have to go to a different forum (I saw someone get told off before) But just if you knew, If we got married in the US, as more family members were here, but then wanted to live in England. Would this be a wholllle different process?
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:30 am
BE Irregular

I may have to go to a different forum (I saw someone get told off before) But just if you knew, If we got married in the US, as more family members were here, but then wanted to live in England. Would this be a wholllle different process?
Yes it is a different process- you would be looking to immigrate your US wife to UK. See this forum:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61
Old Dec 4th 2013, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

The UK recently tightened up on their requirement for a non-EU spouse to live in the UK. It now requires the sponsor (you) to have an annual income of about £18,500 or have £62,500 in a bank account for 6 months.

The US requires the sponsor (her) to have an annual income of about $18,500 or have about $52,000 in assets or have a joint sponsor that can fulfill the avadavat of support requirements (125% of the poverty level including you). The joint sponsor can be any US citizen or legal permanent resident over the age of 18. There is also a way to combine income with assets to fulfill the requirement.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 11:36 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I proposed on Sunday, she said yes... wooo!
Congratulations! I don't really have anything to add to the excellent advice you've received so far - but I just wanted to say that I, personally, very much appreciate your attitude towards US immigration. You've demonstrated the requisite flexibility, you've done your homework, and you have a viable course of action. Well done!

My wife and I did the K-1 visa thingy many years ago - and although I was born in Scotland, I was living in Canada at the time. Regardless, the process was as much the same then as it is now. Everyone here has been through or is currently going through the process - so their information is invaluable.

You are about to learn a new language (with apologies to George Orwell): immigration-speak. Take your time and, as civilservant suggested: read, digest, read again, etc.

Ian
Old Dec 4th 2013, 2:31 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Some points of clarification to ensure that you understand correctly how the parts fit together:

You US fiancee does not apply for an I-129f form. She uses an I-129f form to petition the US government to recognize you as her fiance. This recognition qualifies you to apply for a K-1 visa.
1. My girlfriend/Fiance (US) Applies for an i-129F form. This gets approved.
You will be applying for a non-immigrant visa in the K-1 category. The application will not be approved (or denied) until after you have completed steps 2 and 3.
2. I get a letter in the UK saying to fill out a K1 application. This gets approved (Over a period of time and money)
You need to have a medical exam as a part of your K-1 visa application. You must have the medical exam before you can have the interview. The medical exam is not something that is approved or denied, it provides the consular officer with the information they need to know to determine whether or not you are inadmissable to the USA for medical reasons.
3. I get told to get a medical. This gets approved.
After you have submitted your visa application (form DS-160) and your medical exam report has been submitted to the consulate by the Panel Physician (the US approved doctor who performed your exam). Like the medical exam, the interview does not get approved or denied, it gives the consular officer information they need to determine whether or not your visa application can be approved.
4. I get an interview date/ Have interview. This gets approved (I get my passport back)
Yes.
5. I have 6 months to go to the US, once in the US I have 90 days to get married
Ideally within 90 days of entry, but not necessarily. What this gives you is conditional status as a Permanent Resident of the USA for a period of two years. During the 90 day period prior to the expiration of your two-year conditional status you petition to have the conditions removed and your Permanent Resident status be made 'permanent'.
6. Once married I apply for an AOS (before my 90 days are up) and this gives me something which I haven't worked out.
Regards, JEff
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Congratulations! I don't really have anything to add to the excellent advice you've received so far - but I just wanted to say that I, personally, very much appreciate your attitude towards US immigration. You've demonstrated the requisite flexibility, you've done your homework, and you have a viable course of action. Well done!

My wife and I did the K-1 visa thingy many years ago - and although I was born in Scotland, I was living in Canada at the time. Regardless, the process was as much the same then as it is now. Everyone here has been through or is currently going through the process - so their information is invaluable.

You are about to learn a new language (with apologies to George Orwell): immigration-speak. Take your time and, as civilservant suggested: read, digest, read again, etc.

Ian
Thank you on your kind words. It's that realisation that there are only a few options that we have right now, we've accepted that, so planning the best route we have.

I'll get a timeline set up of our journey when this gets going, the ones I have read have been extremely helpful to gage what happens.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 4th 2013, 5:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from Ian's post, you ,may have noticed that we are far more welcoming of those that have clearly actually read something and digested it first, then those whose opening sentence is 'We're married, so now what'?'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.