Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Old May 23rd 2015, 3:16 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Received my appointment date and location for my biometrics.

Should I expect anything other than putting my 4 fingers left and right, I couldnt find any experiences.

Does this do anything for work/travel?

Thanks
Old May 23rd 2015, 4:50 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

They will take a scan of all 10 finger prints. They will take a photo, which will appear on your AP/EAD card, so fix your hair. LOL.

Yes, this will continue the processing of all your applications, including AP and EAD.

Rene
Old May 23rd 2015, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

Ha Im glad its not the photos i sent in with the application. I look very thuggish.

Do things move quicker after biometrics or still the wait continues?
Old May 23rd 2015, 2:16 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stribs
Ha Im glad its not the photos i sent in with the application. I look very thuggish.

Do things move quicker after biometrics or still the wait continues?
The wait continues....in fact it will seem that things are moving slower, because the biometrics appointment comes relatively quickly after filing AOS. You have another few/several months of waiting ahead of you (until the AOS interview). The AP/EAD card should come in the mail in about a month after biometrics.

Rene
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Surely the ead and ap is all i really care about now. Once i get those in the post then I can work?

At least the wait is over the summer. There's a pool at our apartment complex so might just have to soak up some rays. Im sure my wife wont mind while she's at work all day! Hmmm.
Old May 23rd 2015, 3:48 pm

Surely the ead and ap is all i really care about now. Once i get those in the post then I can work?
Yes.

Rene
Old May 29th 2015, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Now become very busy organizing the wedding but everything Booked and under control !
My property is still up for sale in the UK and once sold shall wait until the currency of the UK Sterling picks up a little to convert it over into dollars.

Question:

If my property is not sold by next January 2016 when my Fiancée' files her taxes will she be taxed on the property I have in the UK even though it is not sold ?
Old Jul 5th 2015, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

At least the wait is over the summer. There's a pool at our apartment complex so might just have to soak up some rays. Im sure my wife wont mind while she's at work all day! Hmmm.

Hi Stribs,

How did your wedding go ?

I shall be having mine on July 18th.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Well well well.... isn't this immigration process fun!

So I am now happily married for almost 5 months. It took pretty much spot on 3 months for my employment card, to arrive. I now have a respectable job..... all should be fine!

HOWEVER!!! I am trying to get my drivers licence... this has been unbelievably tough and on going. I understand all states are different but I think my problem is generic.

I never drove in the UK so starting fresh. I went to the local DMV to get my learners permit, I had to do the test on the computer, easily passed. All good. I was told my documents had to be sent off to Homeland security. They said this will take 2 weeks, 7 weeks later and I get the letter stating "You are eligible to have a drivers licence"... hoorah, or so we thought.

Heading back to the DMV, the passed test is only valid for 30 days so had to retake, easy again (They really need to challenge these kids) back to the desk... and now told although I have the letter confirming I am eligible to drive, it seems until my Adjustment of status approval comes through there is nothing that can be done....

So consequently a letter came through 2 days before stating, due to workload factors, my case could be delayed up to 6 months.

Can anyone tell me what my current status in the US is, and do I have a fight to get my drivers licence and the DMV are just clueless?

Either way anyone catching up on the progress.... Immigration never ends! Definitely make sure you really like this girl!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:04 am

Your current status is "pending adjustment of status", and DMV should accept your EAD as proof of your status. You shouldn't have to wait for the green card.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

I didn't have it with me on the day.

I have the form that clearly states I am eligible for a learners permit. He just kept going on about needing the approval letter for adjustment of status and wouldn't accept anything else.

In your knowledge people have had a drivers licence whilst pending AOS?

Thanks Noorah
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:20 am

Oh yes, everyone. My husband included. Next time you go, bring the EAD and ask to speak to a supervisor.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2015, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

That's great, thanks for the response Noorah.

We were suffering from immigration exhaustion coming back from the DMV. Nothing a stop at Red Robins didn't cure!
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:18 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The DMV are clueless when it comes to immigration.

The GA DDS tried to tell me that I could not have my DL extended based on the one year ROC extension letter. The second one I went to called the first one an idiot and did it right there and then.

YMMV at different DMV offices.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 5:06 am
Forum Regular

So I'm attacking again tomorrow,

On the Penndot website, for someone who is AOS pending you will need....

SS Card (Tick)
2 proofs of residency (Tick)
EAD (Tick)

Immigration documents.... Including I797 receipt notice (Nope?) Biometrics notice (Nope?) Interview notice (I have received the notice saying my interview will be waived, but that is a I-485 form, would this be accepted?)

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.