Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:35 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American girlfriend>English boy (me)>marriage....

Originally Posted by cliff1961
At present my Fiancee' is living in Grapevine just north of DFW airport.
Been to Forts Worth several occassions . . .
Yep, we go shopping in Grapevine a fair bit (mainly for the British Emporium!)
Old Feb 10th 2015, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BunnyGirl

I am 1 minutes walk from British Emporium, drive through main Street then past bank of the West and British Emporium is a small shop on the right amongst a row of other shops.

often go in there not to buy the items as I look at the prices and compare them to what I pay here O.M.G it is Ridiculous the expense I know shipping is dear but a little Greedy.

But when you miss the food I should imagine you will pay anything just to try and get a taste of something you have not had for a long time.

I Guarantee I will miss the British Food !
Old Feb 10th 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

cliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond reputecliff1961 has a reputation beyond repute

I see your User ID: with Bedford TX, it is right on the doorstep to Grapevine, just off 121 below Glade Road, been there many times eating at "On the Border" and Texas Harris Methodist Hospital . . . also Walmart on the corner of the Highway before you get to On the Border.
It may very well appear that once I sell my home here and move over I will be moving from the rented accommodation and buy a house in Bedford, Euless on the west side of 360, possibly over by the outskirt of Colleyville near precinct line . . . unable to afford a house in the centre of "Colleyville" even though it is my favourite !

Last edited by cliff1961; Feb 10th 2015 at 10:50 am.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:32 pm
Hoppity hop...

BunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond reputeBunnyGirl has a reputation beyond repute

I see your User ID: with Bedford TX, it is right on the doorstep to Grapevine, just off 121 below Glade Road, been there many times eating at "On the Border" and Texas Harris Methodist Hospital . . . also Walmart on the corner of the Highway before you get to On the Border.
It may very well appear that once I sell my home here and move over I will be moving from the rented accommodation and buy a house in Bedford, Euless on the west side of 360, possibly over by the outskirt of Colleyville near precinct line . . . unable to afford a house in the centre of "Colleyville" even though it is my favourite !
Oh gosh, yes we looked at renting in Colleyville but you can get so much more house for your $ a bit further west! We were looking at anywhere in HEB but settled for here because of the good school district. We're going to keep renting for a while though, don't want to buy in Texas as the long term plan is to end up in New England in about 5 years so we'd lose too much in fees etc if we bought now.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Stribs
Thanks, it sure is a relief. Now just waiting for passport to be returned. Its been since the 13th so hoping it comes soon before the panic starts creeping in.
Stribs, Have you left for the States yet ?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

So, I guess i live in America now!

All went smoothly through Newark Immigration. Taken into a little side room, told to sit down while my pack was ripped open. After all that time taking care of that package i didn't even get to see it opened. The guy called me up asked if i had just left America where i corrected him that was Feb 2014 not 15! *Stamp* "Welcome to America, good luck"

So now where is the welcome pack? And when is my orientation meeting explaining what to do next. I have looked but cannot see some sort of guide what to do now I've entered until i get married and AOS.

Any direction would be great.

And another huge thank you to the replies in this thread that got me here!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Now time to fill out applications and pay more fees for

I-130
1-485
1-131
I-765

An Interview and another Medical according to my Attorney !

Stribs:

Helping other members with your experiences would be much appreciated from here on !

Last edited by cliff1961; Mar 5th 2015 at 12:40 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Stribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond reputeStribs has a reputation beyond repute

I-130
1-485
1-131
I-765

Stribs:

Helping other members with your experiences would be much appreciated from here on !
I do apologise Cliff, but i think if someone was to read through this experience i have had here it would answer a ridiculous amount of questions which i personally was not able to find myself.

If i could please report. .. <snip>

Last edited by Noorah101; Mar 5th 2015 at 1:39 pm. Reason: please use the report button, or contact a moderator via PM.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

cliff,

You listed what to do after marriage. Stribbs specifically asked what to do from now until marriage.

Rene
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:47 pm
Hoppity hop...

I-130
1-485
1-131
I-765

I thought you were coming over on a K1 visa? If so, why the I130?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Perhaps i should be more specific with the queries Im finding.

1. On reading a few articles it mentions waiting 2 weeks before applying for a SSN, is this correct? It also mentions about an i-90 form. I do not know what this is as i just got stamped and sent on my way. Am i missing something?

2. The idea is to start working as soon as possible. I keep reading reports that it is not the best idea to apply for the employment card before AOS. Is this just a financial thing?
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

I thought you were coming over on a K1 visa? If so, why the I130?
I am coming over on a K1 Visa and asked my attorney for a quote on application fees and the list below was what I was told has to be filed.

Attorney:
Since I did your fiancée visa I will only charge you $1750.00 for attorney fees to handle your case. That is $500 less that what I normally charge. That price includes all forms necessary including the your 1-130 Petition for Alien relative, and I-485 Adjustment of Status, I-131, I-765, other misc. forms, and me attending the Adjustment of Status interview with you. You will also have the pay the filing fees for the I-130 and I-485 which are $1490.00. You do not have to pay the I-131 and I-765 filing fees when they are filed with the I-485.

You will need to have a medical exam from a designated Civil Surgeon in the US.
I will give you instructions for that when we meet.

Last edited by cliff1961; Mar 5th 2015 at 2:09 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:10 pm
Hoppity hop...

Originally Posted by Stribs
Perhaps i should be more specific with the queries Im finding.

1. On reading a few articles it mentions waiting 2 weeks before applying for a SSN, is this correct? It also mentions about an i-90 form. I do not know what this is as i just got stamped and sent on my way. Am i missing something?

2. The idea is to start working as soon as possible. I keep reading reports that it is not the best idea to apply for the employment card before AOS. Is this just a financial thing?
You should wait at least 10 days before applying for your SSN as that's how long it takes for your details to appear in their system. Otherwise they'll have to manually verify your status which could take several weeks. An I90 is to renew your greencard, you won't even have a greencard for several months.

It's not usually worth the $380 fee to file for your EAD separately as you're only work authorised for the first 90 days after arriving in the US and it generally takes 60-90 days for the card to arrive to prove that! Much better just to file for it for free with your AOS.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

You should wait at least 10 days before applying for your SSN as that's how long it takes for your details to appear in their system. Otherwise they'll have to manually verify your status which could take several weeks. An I90 is to renew your greencard, you won't even have a greencard for several months.

It's not usually worth the $380 fee to file for your EAD separately as you're only work authorised for the first 90 days after arriving in the US and it generally takes 60-90 days for the card to arrive to prove that! Much better just to file for it for free with your AOS.
Perfect! Thanks bunny. Arts and crafts for the wedding it is!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:14 pm
Hoppity hop...

I am coming over on a K1 Visa and asked my attorney for a quote on application fees and the list below was what I was told has to be filed.

Attorney:
Since I did your fiancée visa I will only charge you $1750.00 for attorney fees to handle your case. That is $500 less that what I normally charge. That price includes all forms necessary including the your 1-130 Petition for Alien relative, and I-485 Adjustment of Status, I-131, I-765, other misc. forms, and me attending the Adjustment of Status interview with you. You will also have the pay the filing fees for the I-130 and I-485 which are $1490.00. You do not have to pay the I-131 and I-765 filing fees when they are filed with the I-485.

You will need to have a medical exam from a designated Civil Surgeon in the US.
I will give you instructions for that when we meet.
Fire your attorney, he doesn't know what he's talking about. If you come over on a K1 visa you do NOT need to file an I130. Similarly you shouldn't need another medical, you just need to have a civil surgeon complete the vaccination supplement of the I693. That's a far cry from a full medical.

You may also not have an interview, a large proportion of K1 cases have the interview waived.

Why are you even using an attorney? It doesn't sound like you need one. However, if you feel like you need some extra help please seek the opinion of another immigration attorney, one that knows what he's talking about

Last edited by BunnyGirl; Mar 5th 2015 at 2:17 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.