Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American citizen wife, i-130, the wait.

American citizen wife, i-130, the wait.

Old Oct 17th 2018, 10:08 pm
Just Joined

charlielondon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American citizen wife, i-130, the wait.

Hi all,

My wife (USC) sent our i130 papers off to the Chicago lockbox, we received the first notice on March 23rd of this year.

I’m in London and the missus is in NY.

We are approaching 7 months now since we received the notice of action and I’m just wondering how long other’s in the same situation waited and once the process takes the next step. How long before I could hypothetically be on a flight to NY once things kick off?

Thanks!
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American citizen wife, i-130, the wait.

Maybe another few months for the I-130 approval, after that only another few months for the rest of the process. I would estimate April 2019 for your entry to the USA.

Rene
Old Oct 18th 2018, 2:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You can visit.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Maybe another few months for the I-130 approval, after that only another few months for the rest of the process. I would estimate April 2019 for your entry to the USA.

Rene

oh damn, I didn’t think it’d be that long. I was estimating that it could be nearer January!

Thanks for your estimate though, it is helpful.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You can visit.
Can I?

I’ve been told that I could be refused entry during the visa process as I’m a risk and may stay illegally.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 12:49 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charlielondon
I’ve been told that I could be refused entry during the visa process as I’m a risk and may stay illegally.
It's possible of course, no one is guaranteed entry except a USC, but if you have a pattern of visiting and leaving, and are going through the correct process to get the correct visa, you will 99% be ok. I did it several times while my CR1 was pending with no issues.

Oh and I agree that March-April is a more likely timescale for case completion, especially with Christmas in the way which usually slows things down when Officers go on vacation - also the Federal holidays of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

I visited twice during the process and never had any hassle.
Old Oct 18th 2018, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Tkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond reputeTkd67 has a reputation beyond repute

Can I?

Since sending our I-130 in january, I visited in march/april, then in Aug/oct and will be going for another 5 weeks in December. Never had a problem and always had an out going flight, even chatted at POE about the cost of constant visiting.. My biggest worry was catching my connecting flight....Lastly, visiting actually helps with the long process ahead, it sometimes feels like it's not so long after all. Good luck.

Last edited by Tkd67; Oct 18th 2018 at 10:32 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

We are approaching 7 months now since we received the notice of action and I’m just wondering how long other’s in the same situation waited and once the process takes the next step.
My husband and I waited 6.5 months between our NOA1 and our NOA2. I've been absent from the forum for several months so am a bit out of the loop re. current timelines, but I should imagine, hopefully, that you are almost there.

Once you've received your NOA2, you'll be sent your case number (we had to wait another 5 weeks after NOA2 for this to arrive), and following receipt of your case number you'll be sent instructions on what to do next. In a nutshell, individual circumstances depending, it will involve completion of a couple more forms, payment of AOS and IV fees (again, you might find you have to wait for these fees to become available to be paid - our option to pay the IV fee was another two weeks coming), and once all that's done, you'll be waiting for your 'case complete' notification from the NVC and to be invited to attend your interview. It is best to wait until you've received your interview date before scheduling your medical.

In total, after my husband and I had received our NOA2, it was exactly six months until I was on a plane. This was last November. Our entire journey took 13 months in total.

As an aside, I echo what everyone has said re. visitation during this process. I flew back and forth a handful of times during those 13 months, and one of those visits saw me on American soil for two entire months while waiting for our NOA2 to arrive. There was never any difficulty at POE.

The advice always was and likely always will be to remember that each case is different, and one person's timeline may vary greatly from another's. But I do know the desperate urge to receive a ball-park idea of an ETA, so here's my timeline to give you some more guess-material. If general processing times are still roughly the same as they were last year, I'd agree that March/April might be a likely move-date for you.

Good luck!

Last edited by KK85; Oct 25th 2018 at 7:42 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2018, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

The whole process for me took 18 months, we had a few 'glitches' due to NVC and their 'inefficiencies', but during that time I visited the USA at least twice if not 3 times, and my wife came to the UK.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

After 241 days of waiting, yesterday we received our I-797 NOA. It looks like my application is finally going to the NVC. With this in mind, I’m hoping to be in NY by the end of February, start of March.
Old Nov 20th 2018, 12:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

After 241 days of waiting, yesterday we received our I-797 NOA. It looks like my application is finally going to the NVC. With this in mind, I’m hoping to be in NY by the end of February, start of March.
Hopefully, but keep in mind the upcoming holiday season tends to slow things down.

Congrats on the approval!

Rene