Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American Citizen marries Chinese Citizen in Cairo: DCF, K3?

American Citizen marries Chinese Citizen in Cairo: DCF, K3?

Old Feb 4th 2004, 11:35 am
Just Joined

All_Smiles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American Citizen marries Chinese Citizen in Cairo: DCF, K3?

Originally posted by Mrraveltay
Khadija wrote:

> Good point, JEff. The beneficiary in this case will be a Chinese
    > national living in Egypt for at least six months. I suspect DCF was
    > designed for those USCs living in a foreign country and marrying a
    > national of that particular country. Certainly something to be
    > investigated before they embark on this journey.
    >

The decision varies by consulate. However, they generally care about
whether the person is legally a resident of that country, not whether or
not they are a native of that country.
Mrraveltay:
do you have any more information about the use of DCF in different countries? any info you can give me is greatly appreciated.

fyi i emailed the consular in cairo with these specific questions so i hope ill get a reply soon.

~
d
Old Feb 4th 2004, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

theangells is an unknown quantity at this point

Smiles,

If both of you don't have any permanent residencies in Cairo, my suggestion is NOT to get married there and do K3 because it will definitely complicate the whole process for you. I learned that K3 visa can only be issued from the consulate where the marriage took place, in your case it will be Cairo if you get married there. This means that all the interview for your wife will have to be done in Cairo.

It seems to me that both of you don't have permanent residencies in Cairo. This will give you more problem, especially if both of you will be leaving that place by the end of your study. You mentioned about being there for one year and if you do K3 process right away once you get married in Cairo, there might be enough time for you to deal with the process but you never know how fast the USCIS works, not to mention the Cairo consulate.

You might consider about marrying her in China and then do K3 while you two go for study in Cairo, so her interview and other stuff will take place in her country of residence. It will save time and money for both of you rather than having to go back and forth to Cairo to deal with the consulate when you two have already finished your study there.

Anyway... just some thoughts from me... final decision will be in your hands of course... good luck !

Originally posted by All_Smiles
This is my first post here. I really appreciate how everyone helps each other through this process that can be quite painful! My situation is particular and could use some advice from you:

I'm an American born citizen - and American resident; My fiancee is a Chinese citizen. We both planning on going to Cairo to study for 1 year beginning in June. We will both be on student visas. Upon arrival we will marry.

What is the best way to be back in the United States within 1 year?

Is DCF an option? ( I read somewhere that there is a 6 month residency requirement) If so do you think we could establish residency and then do DCF?

Or is K3 clearly the only option?

I'd appreciate any comments / help!

~D
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by theangells
Smiles,

If both of you don't have any permanent residencies in Cairo, my suggestion is NOT to get married there and do K3 because it will definitely complicate the whole process for you. I learned that K3 visa can only be issued from the consulate where the marriage took place, in your case it will be Cairo if you get married there. This means that all the interview for your wife will have to be done in Cairo.

It seems to me that both of you don't have permanent residencies in Cairo. This will give you more problem, especially if both of you will be leaving that place by the end of your study. You mentioned about being there for one year and if you do K3 process right away once you get married in Cairo, there might be enough time for you to deal with the process but you never know how fast the USCIS works, not to mention the Cairo consulate.

You might consider about marrying her in China and then do K3 while you two go for study in Cairo, so her interview and other stuff will take place in her country of residence. It will save time and money for both of you rather than having to go back and forth to Cairo to deal with the consulate when you two have already finished your study there.

Anyway... just some thoughts from me... final decision will be in your hands of course... good luck !
thanks for the input.

its a thing of chance; if there's a good chance that this will drag out longer than 13 months or even 18 months for that matter, then doing it in China might just be the better option that you said. the other factor is that from her hometown to the consulate guanzhou is thousands of miles and at least two flights. if the risk of us getting stuck in cairo together for an extra 5 months is lower than 20% i'd run with it.

i havent asked what her preference is yet somehow im thinking she'd rather be 'stuck' in cairo than her hometown as she originally wanted to study there for 2 years - until she met me and i cut her down to 1 year.

but ill definitely take heed of your advice... im just trying to get as much input as possible as to what the chance of each occurrence..
(k3 taking longer than 13 months, k3 taking longer than 18 months, k3 taking longer than 24 months, k3 never coming down....god forbid)

i dont fully understand the process, but i did speak to an immigration lawyer - personal friend of mine - who told me to file the i 130 asap. well we'd have to legally be married in china (or egypt) before we could file the i 130. she said i 130 will take 1 year so the sooner it gets filed the better. its just a matter of whether i wanna get married in china in march or get married in egypt in june and file it from there.

the original reason for wanting to do everything from cairo was that i was hoping that she wouldnt have to return to guanzhou in china for that interview...well looks like i might have to compromise on that one.

~D
Old Feb 5th 2004, 6:00 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

the original reason for wanting to do everything from cairo was that i was hoping that she wouldnt have to return to guanzhou in china for that interview...well looks like i might have to compromise on that one.

~D
How so?
Seems you have the recipe for DCF in Cairo.
It is a different critter than K3.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:42 am
L D Jones

meauxna wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by All_Smiles
    > > the original reason for
    > wanting to do everything from cairo was that i was hoping that she
    > wouldnt have to return to guanzhou in china for that interview...well
    > looks like i might have to compromise on that one.
    > >
    > > ~D
    >
    > How so?
    > Seems you have the recipe for DCF in Cairo.
    > It is a different
    > critter than K3.

It appears to be a question of residence. The consular section in
Cairo's website does not mention the subject of residency however.
http://www.usembassy.egnet.net/consular/iv003.htm. They may assume (or
require, one cannot tell) that the beneficiary is an Egyptian citizen
but there is no reason not to enquire

Old Feb 5th 2004, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

theangells is an unknown quantity at this point

Smiles,

Another suggestion that came up to my mind is you can also call or e-mail Cairo consulate and tell them your situation (don't forget to mention that both of you don't have permanent residencies in Cairo or Egypt) and ask them if they can process your K3 visa there. That way you can get some more solid "confirmation" from them, but keep in mind that these consulates sometimes don't exactly know what they are doing, so you cannot take their words as 100% guarantee. But having something solid in your hands is better than nothing I guess.

You better study every options you have before deciding to get married in China or Cairo. Your case is quite "unique" so hiring a lawyer may do you good as well.

thanks for the input.

its a thing of chance; if there's a good chance that this will drag out longer than 13 months or even 18 months for that matter, then doing it in China might just be the better option that you said. the other factor is that from her hometown to the consulate guanzhou is thousands of miles and at least two flights. if the risk of us getting stuck in cairo together for an extra 5 months is lower than 20% i'd run with it.

i havent asked what her preference is yet somehow im thinking she'd rather be 'stuck' in cairo than her hometown as she originally wanted to study there for 2 years - until she met me and i cut her down to 1 year.

but ill definitely take heed of your advice... im just trying to get as much input as possible as to what the chance of each occurrence..
(k3 taking longer than 13 months, k3 taking longer than 18 months, k3 taking longer than 24 months, k3 never coming down....god forbid)

i dont fully understand the process, but i did speak to an immigration lawyer - personal friend of mine - who told me to file the i 130 asap. well we'd have to legally be married in china (or egypt) before we could file the i 130. she said i 130 will take 1 year so the sooner it gets filed the better. its just a matter of whether i wanna get married in china in march or get married in egypt in june and file it from there.

~D
Old Feb 5th 2004, 1:03 pm
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by L D Jones
It appears to be a question of residence. The consular section in
Cairo's website does not mention the subject of residency however.
http://www.usembassy.egnet.net/consular/iv003.htm. They may assume (or
require, one cannot tell) that the beneficiary is an Egyptian citizen
but there is no reason not to enquire
Jones,

I'm 100% certain they don't require the petitioner to be a resident. The beneficiary must be though, for 6 months at least, but they don't have to be a citizen. They changed the website recently and that bit used to be there plus that's what they told me when I asked them. So I'm pretty sure unless they happened to change the policy very recently. You're right, though, there's no reason not to ask them.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
Jones,

I'm 100% certain they don't require the petitioner to be a resident. The beneficiary must be though, for 6 months at least, but they don't have to be a citizen. They changed the website recently and that bit used to be there plus that's what they told me when I asked them. So I'm pretty sure unless they happened to change the policy very recently. You're right, though, there's no reason not to ask them.
thanks!
i emailed the consulate 2 days ago and am awaiting their reply. ill keep you guys updated.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:55 am
Overworked and exhausted

Hebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud ofHebapotamus42 has much to be proud of

thanks!
i emailed the consulate 2 days ago and am awaiting their reply. ill keep you guys updated.
If they don't reply within a week, email them again! (They usually reply though, so don't despair.) When are you supposed to be going to Egypt?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Hebapotamus42
If they don't reply within a week, email them again! (They usually reply though, so don't despair.) When are you supposed to be going to Egypt?
June inshaAllah
Old Feb 8th 2004, 5:35 am
Just Joined

June inshaAllah
wow! it's right on the front page and I didn't even notice.
copy and pasted from egyptian consulate page. Im quite sure it describes a direct consular filing and nowhere in it does it mention any residency requirement.. yay! thats a start.
still no repyl from the consular.. maybe they dont like people that ask questions that their website answers so they're gonna purposely make me wait longer. check it out.
any comments on this document?

http://usembassy.egnet.net/consular/iv003.htm

Filing a Petition in Cairo

Petitions for spouses, parents and children of American citizens may be filed with the Consular Section in Cairo. For immigration purposes, an individual must be under 21 and unmarried to qualify as a child. The steps involved in filing a petition in Cairo are given below.

A
The petitioner must send a completed I-130 petition and all supporting documentation to the Consular Section in Cairo by TNT courier. It is to your advantage to follow the directions on the I-130 form carefully. Please contact us to request the I-130 form and instructions.

If the beneficiary wants to travel to the United States in the next six months, the beneficiary should also submit an immigrant visa application and all supporting documents to the Consular Section by TNT courier. The application packet will be sent with the I-130 form and instructions.

B
The Consular Section reviews the petition and supporting documents and the visa application and supporting documents (if sent by the beneficiary). If they are not complete, the Consular Section sends them back to the petitioner with an explanation of what is missing.

C
Once the petition and supporting documents are complete, the Consular Section sends the petitioner an appointment letter. As the petition is not yet approved, your appointment will not appear on our published interview schedule. You may e-mail the Consular Section to check on your appointment date and time.

D
The petitioner and beneficiary appear at the Consular Section at the appointed date and time for the filing and adjudication of the petition.

If the visa application and all of the required documents have been received by the Consular Section before the appointment for the filing and adjudication of the petition, the visa interview may take place at the same time.

E
If the visa interview was not conducted at the time the petition was filed, the Consular Section will contact the beneficiary once the petition has been approved to begin or continue the process of gathering the required documents for the visa interview and to schedule the interview.

Last edited by All_Smiles; Feb 8th 2004 at 5:45 am.