Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

American citizen married to a British citizen...Benefits?

Wikiposts

American citizen married to a British citizen...Benefits?

Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

123Flash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default American citizen married to a British citizen...Benefits?

I am an American male citizen married to a British female citizen. She is about to receive her American Green Card. Exactly what “British” benefits am I "the American citizen" entitled to, if any…
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:27 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American citizen married to a British citizen...Benefits?

Originally Posted by 123Flash
I am an American male citizen married to a British female citizen. She is about to receive her American Green Card. Exactly what “British” benefits am I "the American citizen" entitled to, if any…
unless you plan to live in the UK then nowt.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:30 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

she gets the benefits.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

As the spouse of a UK citizen, you would have the opportunity to immigrate to the UK, if you ever wanted to do that.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

123Flash is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
As the spouse of a UK citizen, you would have the opportunity to immigrate to the UK, if you ever wanted to do that.

Rene
Is there any special benifits I should be aware of...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I evidently don't understand your question. We have answered it, I believe. The benefit you recive is: You have the opportunity to immigrate to the UK if you want to.

That IS the special benefit.

If you're thinking of some other things, can you list them, so we can tell you if you have those or not?

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

If you moved to the UK you'd get way more vacation time than in the US.

You would be allowed to use the NHS.

If your wife got pregnant, you would be getting maternity and paternity leave, your wife would get maternity pay, and there's also child benefit, plus a small trust fund for the child.

You'd each get a tax allowance.

If you were to become disabled you'd get disability benefits.

etc etc

Last edited by Elvira; Aug 10th 2008 at 12:49 pm.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:12 pm

123Flash,

Oh, you meant if you immigrate to the UK, what would be the benefits? Sorry, I didn't understand that.

If you do plan to immigrate to the UK, it would be best to wait until your wife is a USC. If you move back to the UK while she's still a PR, you run the risk of her losing her US PR status.

Rene
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:47 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly what “British” benefits am I "the American citizen" entitled to, if any…
As a USC, you are entitled to *no* British benefits. You get nothing by virtue of your marriage to a UKC. However, if you subsequently move to the UK, you can *apply* for certain benefits by virtue of your marriage to a UKC. Realize though, that there is no entitlement. If you get any benefits whatsoever, it is because you qualify to receive them... not because you are entitled to them.

Ian
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
If you moved to the UK you'd get way more vacation time than in the US.

You would be allowed to use the NHS.

If your wife got pregnant, you would be getting maternity and paternity leave, your wife would get maternity pay, and there's also child benefit, plus a small trust fund for the child.

You'd each get a tax allowance.

If you were to become disabled you'd get disability benefits.

etc etc
Those "benefits" all come with strings attached...