Am I wasting my time?

Old Feb 1st 2004, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

jsomerville is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Am I wasting my time?

I am a British national currently working for a well known US company in London in the financial services sector. I have been with them for 3 years now, two of which were in Tokyo. I have two Masters degrees, and I speak Japanese. Unfortunately, my company will not grant me a transfer to their NY office, because they need my Japanese skills in London. As I really want to live in NY, I am thinking of quitting my job, and going to NY for 3 months to conduct a job search and to take the Chartered Financial Analysis (CFA) exam in June which is well known over there. I would be grateful if someone could advise me whether or not I will be wasting my time. I have heard about a "cap" on the H1-B visa, but not 100% sure what this will mean for me when trying to get an employer to sponsor me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 8:48 pm
Doolaly17

Default Re: Am I wasting my time?

Although I can't give you the advise you need - because I don't know
it. From my most recent experience of trying to obtain a visa (and by
the looks of things, people here), you are best off speaking to a
lawyer.

DO NOT try to enter the US by yourself (i.e. going down to the
Consular office and applying without seeking advise from an
immgiration lawyer - and make sure its not some seedy lawyer too). I
say this, because you'll be really ticked off, like my self and others
here, if you apply for this visa and you are refused...this will make
entry to the US, even on holidays much harder in the future.

I learnt my lesson the hard way and now I am being punished for being
honest by refusal of entry to the US to see my parents. Understand
that the system is there to treat you as a threat, and you are treated
as a criminal at the consular office/US border until you can proove
otherwise.

Therefore once again, DO NOT attempt to apply for a visa without
seeking the adrviseof a professional.

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 2:15 am
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jsomerville
I am a British national currently working for a well known US company in London in the financial services sector. I have been with them for 3 years now, two of which were in Tokyo. I have two Masters degrees, and I speak Japanese. Unfortunately, my company will not grant me a transfer to their NY office, because they need my Japanese skills in London. As I really want to live in NY, I am thinking of quitting my job, and going to NY for 3 months to conduct a job search and to take the Chartered Financial Analysis (CFA) exam in June which is well known over there. I would be grateful if someone could advise me whether or not I will be wasting my time. I have heard about a "cap" on the H1-B visa, but not 100% sure what this will mean for me when trying to get an employer to sponsor me. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Why quit and spend 3 months in the US. Take a short trip to take the test, then line up some interviews and schedule a few interviews for a later visit.

Quitting your job, and then showing up at the border won't give them a warm fuzzy feeling that you're planning to go back to the UK.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Eric2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its a risk. The financial services sector in New York City is still a little weak. Thus, employers' might not be willing to go through the additonal effort and costs of hiring someone who needs a H1B. Still, it depends on what your particular skills are. If your skills are in great demand, it will make things easier obviously. You can try sending your resume out to recruiting firms in NYC to try to get an idea of the job market and your prospects. I tried getting something in NYC in accounting and finance but was told that my non-immigrant status was an impediment. But then, there is also an element of luck. I eventually managed to get a job in the US even though I needed a H1B visa, just not in NYC.

The H1B cap will definitely be an issue. The limit for the current fiscal year is expected to be reached in the next 2 to 3 months I think. So, even if you get a job offer, you might not be able to obtain an H1B this fiscal year ending Sept 2004. In other words, you cannot start work until Oct 2004 at the very earliest.

Then there is the issue of what you are going to tell immigration when you get to the border. If you coming into the US on the visa waiver program, you might have some problems since I do not think a job search is a valid reason for entry. Also, the fact that you quit your job back in the UK might suggest that you do not have strong ties to your home country.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 11:10 am
Just Joined

jsomerville is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Eric, I didn't know that Sept 2004 is treated as the end of the year with respect to the H1B visa. That knowledge has definitely helped me to plan the next few months. I will also be careful about not applying for a visa by myself.

I have decided to quit my job in mid April, then take off 7 weeks before my CFA exam to study full time. I realise that my current job with only 15 days off a year just doesn't give me time to study and do a thorough job hunt from the UK. Once I have finished my exam, I am then planning to buy a round the world ticket and travel eastwards via Japan until I end up in Vancouver, just in time for the exam results in late July.

I then thought I could enter the US overland and travel to New York. I will tell border control that I am on a round the world trip (which will be true), and of course I will also have my onward ticket from New York to London leaving in October. Luckily this will be perfect timing in terms of the new year with respect to the H1B visa. Any opinions on my plans are welcome! If I am unsuccessful in finding a job, is there any chance I could acquire a J1 (?) visa. I heard that BUNAC (sp?) can organize such visas. I'm going to hunt around on the web for information, but if anyone has anything useful, it will be gratefully received.

Also, Eric, I would be interested to know how useful you think passing the CFA exam will be in the US. I am hoping that it will significantly help my prospects. Although, after looking at NY recruitment agencies that specialize in placing jobs for Japanese speakers, it seems that my Japanese might be the deciding factor.

Thanks!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:31 pm
Banned

Gross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the roughGross50 is a jewel in the rough

Rather than hand over a resignation letter, why not demand to be transfered to the NY office. Make them know that you will be resigning if they turn you down. you've got nothing to lose as you will be resigning anyway. And should they agree, they'll foot the cost of the move, to your advantage. With 2 masters, bi-lingual skills and work experience plus CFA, you should get something.

whatever happens DO NOT apply for a B1/2 visa. you dont need it.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Eric2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you everyone for your responses.

Eric, I didn't know that Sept 2004 is treated as the end of the year with respect to the H1B visa. That knowledge has definitely helped me to plan the next few months. I will also be careful about not applying for a visa by myself.

I have decided to quit my job in mid April, then take off 7 weeks before my CFA exam to study full time. I realise that my current job with only 15 days off a year just doesn't give me time to study and do a thorough job hunt from the UK. Once I have finished my exam, I am then planning to buy a round the world ticket and travel eastwards via Japan until I end up in Vancouver, just in time for the exam results in late July.

I then thought I could enter the US overland and travel to New York. I will tell border control that I am on a round the world trip (which will be true), and of course I will also have my onward ticket from New York to London leaving in October. Luckily this will be perfect timing in terms of the new year with respect to the H1B visa. Any opinions on my plans are welcome! If I am unsuccessful in finding a job, is there any chance I could acquire a J1 (?) visa. I heard that BUNAC (sp?) can organize such visas. I'm going to hunt around on the web for information, but if anyone has anything useful, it will be gratefully received.

Also, Eric, I would be interested to know how useful you think passing the CFA exam will be in the US. I am hoping that it will significantly help my prospects. Although, after looking at NY recruitment agencies that specialize in placing jobs for Japanese speakers, it seems that my Japanese might be the deciding factor.

Thanks!

Definitely use the visa waiver to get into the US since you have a legitimate reason for being there anyway. Applying for a visitor's visa is unnecessary and risky.

Caveat, anything you get out of me will be mostly speculation at this point. With regards to jobs, my impression is that the CFA credentials will help, somewhat. Again, I do not know which area you are interested in, but as you probably already know, financial analysts are not in great demand these days. Although, being a CFA can't hurt either, it will definitely get you a few extra thousand dollars and increase your marketability. But a CFA designation probably will not significantly help your prospects. My impression is that a CFA is good to have but not very sought after by employers. My opinion, I could be wrong, probably am wrong since my focus has mostly been in Risk Manangement, Compliance, Accounting and Derivatives. Your skills in both Japanese and English will definitely be very strong selling points. I suggest emailing placement agencies in New York to get a feel of your relative strength in the market place. These general placement agencies in New York might have a different perspective on your marketability from the agencies you have already contacted. Who knows, they might get you something based on the strength of your experience.

Another poster suggested that you give an ultimatum to your current employers. If you are sure you are going to quit regardless, seems like a rather good idea.

Wish I could be more help. Good luck.

Last edited by Eric2003; Feb 6th 2004 at 7:10 pm.