Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Already married to usc, wanting to move now

Already married to usc, wanting to move now

Old Nov 12th 2015, 7:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Already married to usc, wanting to move now

Originally Posted by Kevrev View Post
The way we both feel at the moment is that time is most important. It's been long enough already. Neither of us want to wait another 8+ months
Unfortunately that's how long it takes. You'll have to be content with visiting each other in the meantime.

Rene
Old Nov 12th 2015, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Remember... Immigration is a privilege... not a right!

It really sucks having to wait and having absolutely no control over the process but that is the price we pay to achieve what we desire.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Kevrev is an unknown quantity at this point

When I said
"The way we both feel at the moment is that time is most important. It's been long enough already. Neither of us want to wait another 8+ months"

It was in reply to a comment (that I can't find now) that seemed to say that there are two visas available, one enabling me to come quicker but wouldn't allow me to work and other takes longer but I would be able to work straight away.

If that were the case then we would prefer the quick option
Old Nov 13th 2015, 2:38 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

When I said
"The way we both feel at the moment is that time is most important. It's been long enough already. Neither of us want to wait another 8+ months"

It was in reply to a comment (that I can't find now) that seemed to say that there are two visas available, one enabling me to come quicker but wouldn't allow me to work and other takes longer but I would be able to work straight away.

Sorry, that was me. I suggested a K-1 visa route because it's a bit quicker (only 6 to 8 months), but then realized you're already married so you don't qualify for that visa anyway. When I realized that, I deleted my post since it didn't apply to you.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

No worries 😊

So, just to get it clear in my own head ..... We need to apply for a spouse visa and once we have that I can visit for up to three months at a time?
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:19 pm

No worries

So, just to get it clear in my own head ..... We need to apply for a spouse visa and once we have that I can visit for up to three months at a time?
No! The USC files an I-130 to get the ball rolling. At any point, starting now, you can visit the USA on the VWP as you normally would. Eventually, about 8 to 10 months from now, you will get an immigrant visa which means you can then move permanently to the USA.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2015, 3:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101 View Post
No! The USC files an I-130 to get the ball rolling. At any point, starting now, you can visit the USA on the VWP as you normally would. Eventually, about 8 to 10 months from now, you will get an immigrant visa which means you can then move permanently to the USA.

Rene
If he is going to be away, does he need to be sure that someone is checking the mail at home to ensure that he doesn't miss any appointment notices, etc.?
Old Nov 13th 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger View Post
If he is going to be away, does he need to be sure that someone is checking the mail at home to ensure that he doesn't miss any appointment notices, etc.?
Yes, it's always a good idea to have someone checking the mail back home, although he won't hear anything for the first several (maybe 3 to 5) months. Actually I highly suggest doing one visit to the USA while the I-130 is processing, and then staying in the UK for the remainder of the visa process after the I-130 gets approved.

Rene
Old Nov 13th 2015, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

During the process, everything I received came via email, and then eventually a hard copy via snail mail

I wouldn't worry to much about missing the mail

And just so you know I continued to visit on an esta for the 13 months it took my case to complete
Old Nov 13th 2015, 7:58 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

When I said

Seeing that you would prefer the quick option, I am puzzled as to why you disregarded the suggestion proffered by our learned friend, Mr F...
Old Nov 13th 2015, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Elvira View Post
Seeing that you would prefer the quick option, I am puzzled as to why you disregarded the suggestion proffered by our learned friend, Mr F...
I haven't disregarded Mr fs suggestion, nor would I disregard the suggestions of anyone good enough to offer their help.
She is going to go see an attorney, in fact next time I visit we may well go together.
Unfortunately she isn't in a position to be able to go yet as she is currently recovering from a major operation.