Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Almost there, just need advice

Wikiposts

Almost there, just need advice

Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all
Default Almost there, just need advice

Hi,
Our daughter (US citizen) has applied for us to be issued green cards for permanent residency in USA. This was done at the end of July 2010 and we were advised that it would take approx. 5 months.
However, in November she was advised that the application had been now received in the Texas (local) office and would now take up to a further 180 days. So, sometime early May.
Just sold our house today (WooHoo) and due to settle early April. Now we need to know if there is any way we can travel to USA following the settlement and collect Greencards there to avoid finding somewhere else to live for a month or two here in Australia.
We obviously do not want to jeopardise the process, but would love to know if it is possible.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Almost there, just need advice

Originally Posted by Keith S
Now we need to know if there is any way we can travel to USA following the settlement and collect Greencards there to avoid finding somewhere else to live for a month or two here in Australia.
Sorry! You must have immigrant visas in your passport before you can enter the US and get your green cards. You can not get them in advance of the visas being issued. You can, of course, visit the US... but that'd probably be a tad expensive... perhaps more expensive than finding someplace in Australia for a few months.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:12 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Our daughter (US citizen) has applied for us to be issued green cards for permanent residency in USA.
If you are currently outside the USA, then your daugher has filed a petition to begin your Immigrant Visa process. You won't be issued green cards, you'll be issued Immigrant Visas.

This was done at the end of July 2010 and we were advised that it would take approx. 5 months.
What was done? The I-130's were filed in July 2010? Or the I-130's were approved in July 2010? If the I-130's were filed in July 2010, they should have been getting approved around December 2010 / January 2011.

However, in November she was advised that the application had been now received in the Texas (local) office and would now take up to a further 180 days. So, sometime early May.
Any idea why the delay in I-130 approval? Ten months is a VERY long time for an I-130 approval. Unless you're talking about the entire Immigrant Visa process, which does take about 10 months from filing I-130 to getting visa interview overseas.

Just sold our house today (WooHoo) and due to settle early April. Now we need to know if there is any way we can travel to USA following the settlement and collect Greencards there to avoid finding somewhere else to live for a month or two here in Australia.
We obviously do not want to jeopardise the process, but would love to know if it is possible.
You cannot come to the USA to collect green cards until you have an Immigrant Visa in hand first.

Or....were you actually in the USA when your daughter started the process, and you guys actually filed for an Adjustment of Status from within the USA? But you are now overseas?

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Keith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to allKeith S is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you are currently outside the USA, then your daugher has filed a petition to begin your Immigrant Visa process. You won't be issued green cards, you'll be issued Immigrant Visas.

What was done? The I-130's were filed in July 2010? Or the I-130's were approved in July 2010? If the I-130's were filed in July 2010, they should have been getting approved around December 2010 / January 2011.
The I-130's were filed in July and we were expecting approval in Dec (5 months)

Any idea why the delay in I-130 approval? Ten months is a VERY long time for an I-130 approval. Unless you're talking about the entire Immigrant Visa process, which does take about 10 months from filing I-130 to getting visa interview overseas.
No idea. The next advice we received was in Nov. when the application was transferred to Texas (where our daughter lives) and we were told that it would take up to 180 days to complete.

You cannot come to the USA to collect green cards until you have an Immigrant Visa in hand first.
That's a shame, it would have been just more convenient.

Or....were you actually in the USA when your daughter started the process, and you guys actually filed for an Adjustment of Status from within the USA? But you are now overseas?
No, we were in Aus when the application was lodged.
Rene
Will we have to attend the US Consulate here in Sydney to complete the process?
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

Noorah, Our answers to your questions are in the previous reply mixed in with your quote. Still learning to drive this thing.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 4:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. After the I-130's get approved, the file goes to NVC in New Hampshire, USA. There will be more correspondence between NVC and the petitioner (your daughter). Then you'll go for a medical in Australia and finally go to a visa interview in Sydney to get your Immigrant Visas.

Rene
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 11:45 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah, Our answers to your questions are in the previous reply mixed in with your quote. Still learning to drive this thing.
I think you're confusing the I-130 section of the process with the entire process. The I-130 is a petition that establishes the relationship between a US citizen and a non-USC. Once the I-130 is approved (usually about 5 months), the paperwork will go to the NVC and then, eventually, to the US Consulate in Sydney. Once the paperwork gets to Sydney, you will be invited to apply for the visa. That part of the process takes an additional 5 months... so 10 months total.

If the I-130 was filed in July 2010, you should be getting the visa sometime in May 2011. Try not to get hung up on specific dates in between! It's not necessarily a linear process.

Ian
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 4:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Keith, this wiki entry explains the process for an Immigrant Visa. This one is written from the viewpoint of 'spouse' but works well for parents as well. The links will get you to the State Dept pages you need to read regarding your visa application.

CR-1 Info

Total processing time, from the first form filed by your daughter, to when you have permission to move is 8-10 months. Don't sell your house, quit your job or make any unchangeable plans just yet.
Old Feb 3rd 2011, 11:15 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna

Total processing time, from the first form filed by your daughter, to when you have permission to move is 8-10 months. Don't sell your house, quit your job or make any unchangeable plans just yet.
Bit late, they've already sold their house.