Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

AIG report on SSN for K-1's

Wikiposts

AIG report on SSN for K-1's

Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AIG report on SSN for K-1's

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

You seem to miss the point -- the SSN would enable those "abusers" to get health insurance, filing taxes, getting jobs, maybe get a driver's license. And perhaps even "terrorists" could do it too. I find your lack to devotion to the national security of the United States to be shocking, just shocking!
I hardly think that terrorists are going to be overly interested in filing taxes or getting health insurance. Health insurance would be sort of pointless for that 'person', no?

I'm going to have to read more about how these 'abusers' are abusing the system, cuz I really see how they are abusing anything.

I could go on about what I think about our 'national security' and 'our best interests', but I'm afraid I would digress too far off topic.

You're getting cheeky today MrF.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 3:53 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I hardly think that terrorists are going to be overly interested in filing taxes or getting health insurance. Health insurance would be sort of pointless for that 'person', no?

I'm going to have to read more about how these 'abusers' are abusing the system, cuz I really see how they are abusing anything.

I could go on about what I think about our 'national security' and 'our best interests', but I'm afraid I would digress too far off topic.

You're getting cheeky today MrF.
Hi:

Sigh. You still don't get, do you? It is not about you or what you think. The idea is to prevent violation of the law and abuse. Government-think is that all fraud and abuse must be eliminated. Back in 1996, they had a program called "Citizenship 2000" to expedite naturalization. Unfortunately, a very small, almost miniscule percentage of applications resulted in the naturalization of people who were ineligible. This was a political embarrassment so the system was revamped to make SURE no one got citizenship unless it was CERTAIN the person qualified. Of course, this resulted in backlogs and people like you complained -- I once heard an official INS say with a straight face and a smile that this was an improvement.

If NOBODY gets a benefit then the abusers also do not get a benefit. Remember, the Government is doing it for your protection and they will think you are quite ungrateful.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Is a photocopy of the marriage liscense ok to take to the SS office or do we need the original or a certified copy?
Neither one. Getting his SSN isn't based on his marriage. It's actually better if you DON"T bring anything relating to the marriage, it just confuses them. His SSN is based on his K-1, not his marriage.

Rene
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Sigh. You still don't get, do you? It is not about you or what you think. The idea is to prevent violation of the law and abuse. Government-think is that all fraud and abuse must be eliminated. Back in 1996, they had a program called "Citizenship 2000" to expedite naturalization. Unfortunately, a very small, almost miniscule percentage of applications resulted in the naturalization of people who were ineligible. This was a political embarrassment so the system was revamped to make SURE no one got citizenship unless it was CERTAIN the person qualified. Of course, this resulted in backlogs and people like you complained -- I once heard an official INS say with a straight face and a smile that this was an improvement.

If NOBODY gets a benefit then the abusers also do not get a benefit. Remember, the Government is doing it for your protection and they will think you are quite ungrateful.

Oh, no MrF, I'm pretty sure I get it. I'm just also pointing out the hardships this creates on an already stressful time for legit couples.

Here's one thing that I don't understand though. If someone 'abuses' the system by working illegally, how would the SSA have to potentially pay them any benefits, so how are they abusing the system please tell?

It's very difficult for someone here legally as a PR to obtain benefits, so how would an 'undocumented' worker do so? Heck, as a native citizen, it's damn near impossible for me to get the disability benefits that they are supposed to provide in case of perm. disabling. So I'd really like to understand how this proposal protects us from 'abuse'? Not to mention, they had a large number of internal errors (miscoding, or no expiration date) that they would rather penalize us for, instead of implementing training or a better software system that wouldn't allow them to make a mistake in the first place.

It seems to me that if a person remains here and is working illegally, and is actually paying taxes into their SSN account, then the SSA should notify ICE of the persons info and have them picked up. Wouldn't that help solve the problem of some of the 'abusers'?
Old Sep 9th 2008, 4:51 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Has parallels with the wide scale disenfranchisement of voters to -- allegedly -- ensure that "illegals can't vote". But idiots buy it.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 5:13 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
So I'd really like to understand how this proposal protects us from 'abuse'?p
It "protects" by adding another layer of accountability - in this case, a marriage certificate or EAD for those adjusting from a K-1. As Mr. F. alluded, if no one who enters on a K-1 can get a SS# without a marriage certificate or EAD, then obviously those who would abuse the system don't get one either.

Not to mention, they had a large number of internal errors (miscoding, or no expiration date) that they would rather penalize us for, instead of implementing training or a better software system that wouldn't allow them to make a mistake in the first place.
Umm, yah... this is less expensive!

Ian
Old Sep 9th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

OH.

Ah well. I was planning to fly into JFK then on to Chicago. Hopefully they will still be giving the stamp, if not...ho-hum. I'm getting married as soon as I get my hands on my man too!

Laws and rules are in place for a reason. Indeed things might be tough, but looking at the bigger picture it's not all that bad. Maybe I'm over positive?

After months of being apart waiting for my K1 who cares if I can't get my SSN right away.... NOT ME! Also, everything is easier when your dealing with something together. OK, I'll stop all the slush!

However, It could be a problem obtaining a drivers licence, ID or bank account without a SSN?!?!?

Last edited by gstring; Sep 9th 2008 at 8:02 am. Reason: Thought of a down side....
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gstring
OH.

Ah well. I was planning to fly into JFK then on to Chicago. Hopefully they will still be giving the stamp, if not...ho-hum. I'm getting married as soon as I get my hands on my man too!

Laws and rules are in place for a reason. Indeed things might be tough, but looking at the bigger picture it's not all that bad. Maybe I'm over positive?

After months of being apart waiting for my K1 who cares if I can't get my SSN right away.... NOT ME! Also, everything is easier when your dealing with something together. OK, I'll stop all the slush!

However, It could be a problem obtaining a drivers licence, ID or bank account without a SSN?!?!?
Awwww aren't you the cute couple

If you're coming in soon, you'll probably get your SSN ok anyway - sounds to me like these changes won't happen for a bit.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

gstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond reputegstring has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
Awwww aren't you the cute couple

If you're coming in soon, you'll probably get your SSN ok anyway - sounds to me like these changes won't happen for a bit.

I know! *sigh* Young love eh.

Yeah, no point in worrying about something until it happens I guess. I'd love to be back by Halloween though.
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gstring
I know! *sigh* Young love eh.

Yeah, no point in worrying about something until it happens I guess. I'd love to be back by Halloween though.
I hope you make it by then. The SSA office near you isn't too bad btw, I've been there.

We'll have to have a Mexican dinner or something
Old Sep 9th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

squentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant futuresquentna has a brilliant future

Hi: The idea is to prevent violation of the law and abuse. Government-think is that all fraud and abuse must be eliminated. .... If NOBODY gets a benefit then the abusers also do not get a benefit. Remember, the Government is doing it for your protection and they will think you are quite ungrateful.
That's how my agency ssa.gov works! We set rules and policy based on the exceptions rather than what works best for the herd.

Also, I missed my flight at the airport while a 96 yr.old is be frisked. Benifits are reduced to recipients to hire more inspectors at a cost greater than the value of the undeserving recipient that slipped through.

Soon I come to believe that I don't deserve a fiance/wife. Newspeak creaps into my vocabulary as I wait patiently in line to recieve the next morsel of terror in an envelope. I pray that it's only an RFE, but the envelope could contain broken dreams or worse. Finally, like the character in Orwell's 1984 I scream.... "no no do it to her." It's been so long I don't even remember her intimacy. I emerge from the Building of the Ministry of Truth, a broken man in a gray coat, lunch pail, trudging to work...