Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

After marriage - Houston

After marriage - Houston

Old Aug 28th 2002, 5:35 am
Eyal

Default After marriage - Houston

Hi, I just get married last saturday and I was trying to get all the papers and I
have some questions.. The judge of the peace gave me a kind of Certificate of
Marriage which she said its something she give the couple (the real certificate she
send it to some office in houston and they suppose to send it to me within 3 weeks).
My question is if I can send a copy of the certificate the judge gave me or I must
wait to get the real one. Or there is a place where I can go and get a legal copy of
the real one..

Thanks in advance, Eyal.

Old Aug 30th 2002, 1:32 am
Tim

Default Re: After marriage - Houston

You are not getting any response to this so I thought I'd help some. My wife has also
filed AOS at Houston.

The INS won't accept that fancy certificate you got from the judge. It's just a wall
decoration. They want a *certified* copy of the marriage certificate. If you don't
want to wait the 3-4 weeks to get this in the mail, just go to your local courthouse
and request a certified copy. They only charge around $10 for this.

Good luck, Tim

[email protected] (Eyal) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi, I just get married last saturday and I was trying to get all the papers and I
    > have some questions.. The judge of the peace gave me a kind of Certificate of
    > Marriage which she said its something she give the couple (the real certificate she
    > send it to some office in houston and they suppose to send it to me within 3
    > weeks). My question is if I can send a copy of the certificate the judge gave me or
    > I must wait to get the real one. Or there is a place where I can go and get a legal
    > copy of the real one..
    > Thanks in advance, Eyal.

Old Aug 30th 2002, 2:59 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: After marriage - Houston

Also if you are a K-1 recipient, file in person if at all possible. I understand they fast track K-1 recipients for EAD's if done in person and the ultimate AOS interview.

Rete

Originally posted by Tim:
You are not getting any response to this so I thought I'd help some. My wife has also
filed AOS at Houston.

The INS won't accept that fancy certificate you got from the judge. It's just a wall
decoration. They want a *certified* copy of the marriage certificate. If you don't
want to wait the 3-4 weeks to get this in the mail, just go to your local courthouse
and request a certified copy. They only charge around $10 for this.

Good luck, Tim

[email protected] (Eyal) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > Hi, I just get married last saturday and I was trying to get all the papers and I
    > have some questions.. The judge of the peace gave me a kind of Certificate of
    > Marriage which she said its something she give the couple (the real certificate she
    > send it to some office in houston and they suppose to send it to me within 3
    > weeks). My question is if I can send a copy of the certificate the judge gave me or
    > I must wait to get the real one. Or there is a place where I can go and get a legal
    > copy of the real one..
    > Thanks in advance, Eyal.