Reload this Page >

Affidavit for working foreign spouse

Wikiposts

Affidavit for working foreign spouse

Old Jun 10th 2004, 11:51 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit for working foreign spouse

Hi, all.

After reading mangoR's astounding news that their AOS interview is only 4 days from the time they got the appointment letter, I'm getting ready for ours to drop on the doorstep anyday now, as we both filed at Miami around the same time.

As you prolly know, Corey's no longer working, as he wanted to study full time, so I'm the only one working. My income alone is three times the amount needed for the poverty guidelines, so I know we'll be ok there, but are they still likely to ask for a co-sponsor? I hope not, cuz if we only get a few days notice, there's no way that'll be enough time to arrange one.

Also, does Corey still need to fill out the I-864 if he's not contributing anything toward the income req? Which one do I fill out? The I-864 or I-864a? We have pretty much everything we could have as far as co-mingling goes, but any advice on the Affidavit would be great. Ta very much!!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jun 11th 2004, 1:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit for working foreign spouse

Yes, Corey's need to be included in the I-864. You and he will combine your incomes on one I-864. Best to get a co-sponsor lined up now and do the I-864 and all their document this month so that you will have it ready for the interview. I believe it can be up to a year old as still usable if all the information is still the same.

Put together your evidence re the commingling of your social and financial lives now. Don't wait to the last minute. Set up a folder with originals in one and copies in the other. Make yourself a checklist of what documents are behind which tab so that you have only to glance at the checklist, i.e. Tab A. Identification, Tab B. Financial Evidence, tax returns, bank information, Tab C. Car Insurance, etc.

Rete

Originally posted by katesuiter1
Hi, all.

After reading mangoR's astounding news that their AOS interview is only 4 days from the time they got the appointment letter, I'm getting ready for ours to drop on the doorstep anyday now, as we both filed at Miami around the same time.

As you prolly know, Corey's no longer working, as he wanted to study full time, so I'm the only one working. My income alone is three times the amount needed for the poverty guidelines, so I know we'll be ok there, but are they still likely to ask for a co-sponsor? I hope not, cuz if we only get a few days notice, there's no way that'll be enough time to arrange one.

Also, does Corey still need to fill out the I-864 if he's not contributing anything toward the income req? Which one do I fill out? The I-864 or I-864a? We have pretty much everything we could have as far as co-mingling goes, but any advice on the Affidavit would be great. Ta very much!!

Kate. xxxxx
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:21 am

Originally posted by Rete
Yes, Corey's need to be included in the I-864. You and he will combine your incomes on one I-864. Best to get a co-sponsor lined up now and do the I-864 and all their document this month so that you will have it ready for the interview. I believe it can be up to a year old as still usable if all the information is still the same.

Put together your evidence re the commingling of your social and financial lives now. Don't wait to the last minute. Set up a folder with originals in one and copies in the other. Make yourself a checklist of what documents are behind which tab so that you have only to glance at the checklist, i.e. Tab A. Identification, Tab B. Financial Evidence, tax returns, bank information, Tab C. Car Insurance, etc.

Rete
Thanks for the info, Rete. I was really hoping to avoid a co-sponsor. Has anyone ever just qualified on their own income, or is it absolutely vital?

I started a rough draft of evidence folder already, just have to make copies of everything and tidy it up now!! Got our tax transcripts the other week, too, so we don't have to wait on those. The only thing is, I renewed my driver's license the other day, and I have to wait 30 days to get my new one, so I only have my temp paper permit. Don't see that being an issue, though, as I still have a passport for ID.

Kate. xxx
Old Jun 11th 2004, 3:37 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,

An I-864 needs to be submitted within 6 months of the date it was signed. And, in my ex-wife's AOS case anyway, I was told to provide a new I-864 for the interview although the one that I had sent in with her application was less than a year old (about 10 months, as I recall). So I wouldn't count on an I-864 being good for up to 1 year.

Why do you recommend that Kate and Corey line up a joint sponsor when she makes 3 times the required income?

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Rete

Rete
Old Jun 11th 2004, 4:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Rete,

An I-864 needs to be submitted within 6 months of the date it was signed. And, in my ex-wife's AOS case anyway, I was told to provide a new I-864 for the interview although the one that I had sent in with her application was less than a year old (about 10 months, as I recall). So I wouldn't count on an I-864 being good for up to 1 year.

Why do you recommend that Kate and Corey line up a joint sponsor when she makes 3 times the required income?

Regards, JEff

Wow that is surprising. Perhaps it depends on the DO you are using. We didn't have to submit a new one in NYC and ours was 21 months old. All we needed was a recent paystub.

Because the experience of another poster whose husband lost his job just prior to the AOS interview (they were in Portland, Maine) and they attempted to use her/the foreign spouses income alone, and their AOS was placed on hold. They had one month to get a co-sponsor or have their AOS denied. Why take the chance that you would run into someone who thinks (wrongly) like the Maine examiner did.

Rete
Old Jun 11th 2004, 5:31 am

Thanks for the contributions, Rete & Jeff. I have a question, though. How do we fill out an affidavit for both of us? The I-864 has a line on there that asks for the income:

Sponsor and spouse's combined income: (If spouse's income is to be considered, spouse must submit Form I-864a)

On the I-864a, it states:

A sponsored immigrant who qualifies as a household member is only required to complete this form if he or she has one or more family members immigrating with him or her and is making his or her oncome available for their support.

Waaaaahhhh!!!!! Contradicting themselves again!!!

I'm also assuming that we'd fill out the affidavit as though it's just about Corey sponsoring me, but then we'd put my income in the total, and just submit W2's, tax info, & employment info for me? I hope that's right.

Kate. xxxxx