Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit/sworn statement format --- for AOS.

Wikiposts

Affidavit/sworn statement format --- for AOS.

Old Dec 24th 2003, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

ChiMiigwech is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit/sworn statement format --- for AOS.

Hi,

I'm in the process of gathering evidence for my AOS interview. I learn that we need to prepare for affidavit/sworn statement from people we know attesting to the length of time petitioner and beneficiary have been residing together in Marital Union. The problem is I'm highly clueless about what the format should look like. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.
Yanne

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!
Old Dec 24th 2003, 4:12 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit/sworn statement format --- for AOS.

Yanne,

No, you do not need to have affidavits from people you know. You can if you wish. Read the I-485 instructions again.

There is no prescribed format. A simple letter format, generically addressed to the USCIS, and presenting relevant information that the person knows about you and your wife, should be fine.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by yannecantik
Hi,

I'm in the process of gathering evidence for my AOS interview. I learn that we need to prepare for affidavit/sworn statement from people we know attesting to the length of time petitioner and beneficiary have been residing together in Marital Union. The problem is I'm highly clueless about what the format should look like. Can someone help me with this?

Thanks.
Yanne

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY!!!
Old Dec 24th 2003, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Yanne,

No, you do not need to have affidavits from people you know. You can if you wish. Read the I-485 instructions again.

There is no prescribed format. A simple letter format, generically addressed to the USCIS, and presenting relevant information that the person knows about you and your wife, should be fine.

Regards, JEff
Thanks Jeff.

I know that the letter is not required. But I really want to be able to show plenty of evidence that my marriage is real. I'm just very anxious about this whole interview thing I guess

Yanne
Old Dec 24th 2003, 4:37 am
unDAUNTEd

KissingtheBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yannecantik
Thanks Jeff.

I know that the letter is not required. But I really want to be able to show plenty of evidence that my marriage is real. I'm just very anxious about this whole interview thing I guess

Yanne
Yanne,

We brought letters from family and friends, signed and notarized. Although not *required*, our interviewer was glad to accept them and said so.

Ours were all in the same format. Our letter writer stated their name, how they were acquainted with us or related to us and how long they had known us (if not related).

Then our letter writers stated they knew us to be in a loving and committed relationship and they gave examples of time spent with us as a couple, i.e. joint birthday parties, trips to sporting events, being with us at the hospital during the birth of our child, movies and dinner out, etc.

They closed by saying that in their opinion, we were a good match for one another and committed to our marriage.

They were all short and sweet letters.

I agree, having too much proof is definitely better than not enough. I had too much. Some stuff he didn't want. He *did* want the letters.

Good luck!

Angela
Old Dec 24th 2003, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Angela. That's very helpful

Merry Christmas.....
Yanne