affidavit of support vs work guarantee

Wikiposts

affidavit of support vs work guarantee

Old Jan 12th 2003, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

bstes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default affidavit of support vs work guarantee

Hi all,

With regard to our filing for DCF at the Brussels US Embassy, I have a question. I read the OF something number which stated that you have to proof you have to prove that you will not become a public charge to the US. It said that you can do this in a number of ways

1) have enough assets available to you in the US
2) have a work guarantee from an employer
3) have a sponsor
4) a combination of the above

Now my fiancee doesn't meet the requirements on the affidavit of support (which form should we file for that if necessary I-134 or I-864?). From the above I gather that it is not necessary to have an affidavit of support as long as I have a work offer guaranteed. Is that correct or do you need to meet the requirements on the affidavit of support anyways?

One last question, does anyone know where to get your military records in Belgium?

Thanks for all the help, you've all taught me a lot!!!!

Bart Stes,
madly in love with a US citizen
Old Jan 12th 2003, 11:22 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: affidavit of support vs work guarantee

You will need an affidavit of support (Form I-864). If your wife does not have the salary and/or assets to be your sole financial supporter, she can try to get a co-sponsor for you. Having a guaranteed employer for yourself is good but in today's economic climate in the US where more and more people are losing jobs, it will be difficult for you to find an employer while you are still outside of the country unless you have a very specialized career.

The only information on Belgium that the forum has on record is at:

http://www.kamya.com/misc/polcert.html#bel

If you were in the military service, I'm sure you must know the name of the government department that handles military records. If you never served, there are no records to obtain.

Rete

Originally posted by bstes
Hi all,

With regard to our filing for DCF at the Brussels US Embassy, I have a question. I read the OF something number which stated that you have to proof you have to prove that you will not become a public charge to the US. It said that you can do this in a number of ways

1) have enough assets available to you in the US
2) have a work guarantee from an employer
3) have a sponsor
4) a combination of the above

Now my fiancee doesn't meet the requirements on the affidavit of support (which form should we file for that if necessary I-134 or I-864?). From the above I gather that it is not necessary to have an affidavit of support as long as I have a work offer guaranteed. Is that correct or do you need to meet the requirements on the affidavit of support anyways?

One last question, does anyone know where to get your military records in Belgium?

Thanks for all the help, you've all taught me a lot!!!!

Bart Stes,
madly in love with a US citizen
Old Jan 13th 2003, 12:56 am
Ticket To Us

Default Re: affidavit of support vs work guarantee

In article ,
bstes wrote:

> With regard to our filing for DCF at the Brussels US Embassy, I have a
    > question. I read the OF something number which stated that you have to
    > proof you have to prove that you will not become a public charge to the
    > US. It said that you can do this in a number of ways
    >
    > 1) have enough assets available to you in the US
    > 2) have a work guarantee from an employer
    > 3) have a sponsor
    > 4) a combination of the above
    >
    > Now my fiancee doesn't meet the requirements on the affidavit of support
    > (which form should we file for that if necessary I-134 or I-864?). From
    > the above I gather that it is not necessary to have an affidavit of
    > support as long as I have a work offer guaranteed. Is that correct or do
    > you need to meet the requirements on the affidavit of support anyways?

The US spouse has to file form I-864--->No exceptions, AFAIK.
Whether or not the consulate would accept a guarantee of work in lieu of
full income requirements would be up to the consulate, in all
likelihood. I don't think the chances are good that they would do this,
however.
--
US Ticket

Old Jan 13th 2003, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Jo Brayne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I-864

The immigrant's income (past, present or future) can't be taken into account. It has to be the US income/assets of the US citizen only according to the US Embassy in London.

THe Petition is to show that the USC can support the person being petitioned so the onus is on the USC.

I am US Cit. and have been living and working in the UK for the last 7 years, and they wont take *any* of my UK income into account. BAH!