Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support - tax forms

Wikiposts

Affidavit of Support - tax forms

Old Jun 5th 2001, 4:52 pm
Scott Williams

It is my understanding from looking at the affidavit of support forms, that if you
are self employed you need to provide tax return forms. I took this to mean if I have
all of the other info., ie, letter from employer, I would not need the forms. Can
anyone tell me if this is correct. My fiance is awaiting her interview at the
consulate in Dublin. It has been a long process, and now they are saying two months
just to schedule an interview. Quite frustrating. Thanks for the help. Scott Williams

Old Jun 6th 2001, 12:15 am
Alvena Ferreira

Scott Williams wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That is correct...in general, IF you are NOT self-employed, MOST consulates do not
ask for the tax returns.

alvena I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, this information is posted for
the purpose of discussion.

Old Jun 6th 2001, 4:06 am
Tommy

Can't hurt to get them though...I called the IRS and they had a nice automated system
that allows you to order transcripts of your filed tax returns....all the way back to
the 60s I think! Anyway, it's free and it's convinient...just don't freak out when
you get a bunch of envelopes from the IRS (like I did). It takes about 2 weeks if I
remember correctly from time I called to postal delivery of the transcripts...I went
for 3 years worth (since some people have reported this is what is needed at the
Guangzhou, China consulate).

At any rate, I say better safe than sorry. Tommy No I'm not a lawyer, just another
person trying to navigate through the INS and begin enjoying married life.

>
[usenetquote2]> > It is my understanding from looking at the affidavit of support forms, that if[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > you are self employed you need to provide tax return forms. I took this to mean[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > if I have all of the other info., ie, letter from employer, I would not need the[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > forms. Can anyone tell me if this is correct. My fiance is awaiting her interview[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > at the consulate in Dublin. It has been a long process, and now they are saying[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > two months just to schedule an interview. Quite frustrating.[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >