Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support questions.

Wikiposts

Affidavit of support questions.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:59 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support questions.

Greg,

There are some IRS requirements or guidelines for people whose income is affected by tips, are there not? (And employers are even permitted to pay less than minimum wage by documenting a level of tipping that puts an employee's total wages plus tips above the minimum wage level?)

In any event, this situation dictates that your employment letter should be different from the average person's. Your letter should include the policy about tip income that your employer follows, and it should be consistent with what they and you report to the IRS. And if there is a written tip policy that is part of your employer's HR documentation include a copy of that with your DS-2000 package.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by IndyGreg
Thanks very much to the both of you!

Jeff, I work as a tipped employee, so my wages change week to week. I guess the nice thing is that I can claim however much I want, so before I send the document to the embassy I can adjust things to how I see fit.

I imagine the letter from my employer they would just state my average tips that I claim per week? (around $500) I also get paid $5 an hour on top of tips.

It seems maybe the AOS is where I have to start getting into the serious stuff.

Thanks again
Greg
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Bad idea amigo...They are not idiots and probably will bust you for falsifying documents. Not something you want on your immigrations records my friend!

Thanks very much to the both of you!

Jeff, I work as a tipped employee, so my wages change week to week. I guess the nice thing is that I can claim however much I want, so before I send the document to the embassy I can adjust things to how I see fit.

I imagine the letter from my employer they would just state my average tips that I claim per week? (around $500) I also get paid $5 an hour on top of tips.

It seems maybe the AOS is where I have to start getting into the serious stuff.

Thanks again
Greg
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

IndyGreg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lpdiver
Bad idea amigo...They are not idiots and probably will bust you for falsifying documents. Not something you want on your immigrations records my friend!
Well, since my income varies fairly wildly, I really don't know what to do then. I do average around $500 in tips a week which I report and then I make a paycheck of around $100 or so. I claim what I make, so this puts me about 50% over what the minimum is for 2 people. I hope there is not a problem with any of this =( My W2's for this year will reflect a salary of $32,000 so I should be okay I would think.

Also, I say on average becasue there are times that I make $300 and there are times I make $800. Really how would they know the difference? If I put down that is what I made, and I am paying legitmate taxes on that amount, then I am fine.

I honestly don't think the government is going to be mad because I paid them another few $100 in taxes even if I didnt make that much. Just my opinion I guess.

Last edited by IndyGreg; Jan 3rd 2004 at 7:53 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Greg,

There are some IRS requirements or guidelines for people whose income is affected by tips, are there not? (And employers are even permitted to pay less than minimum wage by documenting a level of tipping that puts an employee's total wages plus tips above the minimum wage level?)

In any event, this situation dictates that your employment letter should be different from the average person's. Your letter should include the policy about tip income that your employer follows, and it should be consistent with what they and you report to the IRS. And if there is a written tip policy that is part of your employer's HR documentation include a copy of that with your DS-2000 package.

Regards, JEff
This is where it gets funny for me. I am not a waiter or bartender, so I make above minimum wage. The manor in which most tipped people claim is based upon their sales.

I work as a DJ so I dont have sales to declare. I get tipped for playing music people want to hear. Sounds silly, but it can be farily lucrative.

All the IRS rules are set up so that the employer has to report the sales that each server makes. I don't have to abide by such rules because I am in a grey area.

Fortunately I claim what I make so I can have decent things (cars, stuff like that) and I don't find the thought of getting in trouble with the IRS too fun =P

I think I can come up with something sufficient in regards to an employment letter.

Last edited by IndyGreg; Jan 3rd 2004 at 8:56 am.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 8:55 am
Victor

What do you mean (2) letters from employer?

"Simon&Vik" <member15563@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hey Greg. I'm in Indiana too, while hubby's in the UK.
    > Anyway, they care about your current income. I would include the tax
    > returns, as that's what they seem to ask for. But they also require 2
    > letters from your employer stating how much you make. That will count
    > for a lot too, I would assume...
    > --
    > ~ Simon &amp; Vik ~
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 10:39 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Simon&Vik
You need 2 *original* copies of the letters. (AKA not just a photocopy.)

I don't know if just the bank statements are good enough. My understanding is that they need a total of all deposits made for the year, which if you have 6 months of statements, you're not going to have that total for them.

This is something someone posted here as templates. (I saved them and used them.)

This is what my employer wrote:

To whom it may concern:
Ms. XXXXXXX has been in continuous permanent employment with XXXXXX for the past 14 years. Her current salary is XXXXX without retirement contributions and XXXXX including retirement contributions. Her position is tenured, full time, and permanent. Please feel free to contact XXXXXXX if more information is required. etc etc

and this is basically what the bank wrote:

Ms. XXXXX has both checking and savings accounts with our institution, which were opened on XXXXXX. The present balance in Ms. XXXX's checking account ( number ) is XXXX , and the present balance in the savings account (number) is XXXXXX. Total amounts deposited for the last year are as follows:
list amount checking
list amount savings
Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

And no, my husband isn't here yet. But it's getting closer!
Hi Vik,
I was the "someone" who posted those, and hopefully it will be fine. We'll find out on Tuesday at the interview.

As far as how many copies you need of everything, individual consulates have individual requirements. Also, consular officers can request more copies of something if they so choose, or not ask for certain things at all if they so choose. Best bet is to have ready all the items on the interview checklist and be prepared with extra copies of all of it just in case.

~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
(Interview in London Jan. 6th)
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Tell them the truth. What you made last year and this year to date. The surely won't question anything in line with these facts. But i wouldn't just tell them "whatrever I want in order to meet the guidlines"

You will be fine.

Well, since my income varies fairly wildly, I really don't know what to do then. I do average around $500 in tips a week which I report and then I make a paycheck of around $100 or so. I claim what I make, so this puts me about 50% over what the minimum is for 2 people. I hope there is not a problem with any of this =( My W2's for this year will reflect a salary of $32,000 so I should be okay I would think.

Also, I say on average becasue there are times that I make $300 and there are times I make $800. Really how would they know the difference? If I put down that is what I made, and I am paying legitmate taxes on that amount, then I am fine.

I honestly don't think the government is going to be mad because I paid them another few $100 in taxes even if I didnt make that much. Just my opinion I guess.
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by lpdiver
Tell them the truth. What you made last year and this year to date. The surely won't question anything in line with these facts. But i wouldn't just tell them "whatrever I want in order to meet the guidlines"

You will be fine.
Yeah, I think I will be just fine. Thanks for the words of concern however =) This really is the best immigration board on the net. Not only for info, but for some sound words of advice.