Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support questions.

Wikiposts

Affidavit of support questions.

Old Jan 1st 2004, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

IndyGreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of support questions.

Hello all! I am currently waiting for an approval of an 129f petition for my fiancee (I got our first NOA from Nebraska on September the 9th) and it looks like we may have an approval in about a month or two if they keep up the pace they are going at.

This leads me to this question: I need 3 years tax returns for Thailand correct? I know all of them are different, but I seem to remember Bangkok requiring 3 years. It would be great if anyone can answer this.

The second and more important question is this: I don't know if I am going to need a co sponsor or not.

I am estimating a timeframe of about February or March for her arrival, however I don't beleive I will have the current years taxes back by that time. I can certainly file, but I dont think I will get them back in time.

I have an income of $29,000 in 2001, well over the limits, but in 2002 I only have an income of $10,000 (it was a bad year) 2003 the current tax year, my W2's are going to show that I made around $32,000, so I am good there too.

I also have a co sponsor, but I would rather do it on my own. Do you think I will be okay with just my W'2's? Or will I need an actual return? Thanks for any answers!
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:34 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Affidavit of support questions.

Hey Greg. I'm in Indiana too, while hubby's in the UK.

Anyway, they care about your current income. I would include the tax returns, as that's what they seem to ask for. But they also require 2 letters from your employer stating how much you make. That will count for a lot too, I would assume...
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Two letters? Is that a consulate specific item...this is news to me!!!

Originally posted by Simon&Vik

Anyway, they care about your current income. I would include the tax returns, as that's what they seem to ask for. But they also require 2 letters from your employer stating how much you make. That will count for a lot too, I would assume...
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:52 am
Together at last!

Simon&Vik will become famous soon enoughSimon&Vik will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by lpdiver
Two letters? Is that a consulate specific item...this is news to me!!!
In the directions for I-134, it says 2 copies of a letter from your employer, bank, and other evidence of assests...
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond reputelpdiver has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh COPIES...whew...you had me in a last minute panick for a second there. I have four originals!

In the directions for I-134, it says 2 copies of a letter from your employer, bank, and other evidence of assests...
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 10:58 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lpdiver
Ahhh COPIES...whew...you had me in a last minute panick for a second there. I have four originals!
LOL! Me too! and about eight color photocopies.......

~SG and Mr. Pink
(interview on Tuesday!)
Old Jan 2nd 2004, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Ahh yes, I understand it is the current year. But I beleive I read that it had to be a copy of a filed return, not just a W2. I hope that I get my W2's and file quickly.

Okay, so I need one letter from my employer, but two copies of it?

Also, I have my bank statements for the last six months, hopefully this works good enough. They charge $10 for replacement statments and it takes 4 to 6 weeks to get them.

Thanks for the help, but I am still a bit mystified! Have you already got you spouse here?
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 5:59 am
Together at last!

You need 2 *original* copies of the letters. (AKA not just a photocopy.)

I don't know if just the bank statements are good enough. My understanding is that they need a total of all deposits made for the year, which if you have 6 months of statements, you're not going to have that total for them.

This is something someone posted here as templates. (I saved them and used them.)

This is what my employer wrote:

To whom it may concern:
Ms. XXXXXXX has been in continuous permanent employment with XXXXXX for the past 14 years. Her current salary is XXXXX without retirement contributions and XXXXX including retirement contributions. Her position is tenured, full time, and permanent. Please feel free to contact XXXXXXX if more information is required. etc etc

and this is basically what the bank wrote:

Ms. XXXXX has both checking and savings accounts with our institution, which were opened on XXXXXX. The present balance in Ms. XXXX's checking account ( number ) is XXXX , and the present balance in the savings account (number) is XXXXXX. Total amounts deposited for the last year are as follows:
list amount checking
list amount savings
Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can be of further assistance.

And no, my husband isn't here yet. But it's getting closer!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:11 am
Forum Regular

And no, my husband isn't here yet. But it's getting closer!

Much clearer now! Thank you so much and I hope your husband gets to you quickly. Is it just me or does all this seem a tad bit too much? My god they are prying into our lives. I don't see why they need more than the filed tax returns!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:16 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Vik,

You have either mis-information or post-specific information.

Two 'original' copies of an employment letter are not universally required.

Bank statements are often fine, if required, but unless using assets in lieu of income neither bank statements nor totals (or lists) of deposits are universally required.

It is often best to find out what information is required for the DS-2000 (evidence to meet the public charge provisions of the law) from the particular post involved. In Bangkok, the post of interest to IndyGreg, my personal experience is that bank statements or bank letters are not required when there is evidence of sufficient income.

Regards, JEff

I don't know if just the bank statements are good enough. My understanding is that they need a total of all deposits made for the year, which if you have 6 months of statements, you're not going to have that total for them.

Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:26 am
Together at last!

Originally posted by IndyGreg
Is it just me or does all this seem a tad bit too much? My god they are prying into our lives.
It seems like a lot & a bit like prying sometimes, but they're doing it to (theoreticly) protect themselves & the taxpayers. I'm fine w/that. I'm just happy that I make enough to not need a cosponsor (barely, but still...), and that if I had needed a cosponsor, my mom & stepdad were willing to do it.

I'll jump through whatever hoops it takes, I just wish there was a hoop I could jump through to make it go faster...
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:32 am
Together at last!

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Two 'original' copies of an employment letter are not universally required.
In the directions for the I-134, part II says,
"The sponsor must submit, in duplicate, evidence of income & resources as appropriate.
B. Statement of your employer on business stationary, showing:
1. date & nature of employment
2. salary paid
3. whether position is temporary or permanent"

To me, that makes it seem like it is universally required...
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:33 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Greg,

I provided 3 years of tax returns for my ex-wife when she interviewed in Bangkok, and I plan to provide 3 years worth for my present wife when she interviews there, but I cannot confirm that this is a requirement.

When reading advice, be careful to distinguish the difference between what is required and what people said they provided. Many people, due to uncertainty about the requirements, are prepared with more than is required. I think this is a very good approach for visa (and AOS) interviews (although I disagree with it for the I-130 and I-129f petitions, where the requirements are much more straightforward and well-defined). I provide 3 years of tax returns because I have them conveniently available (I keep 10 years worth of tax records on hand should I ever be audited).

With regard to which year's returns you should provide, what do you mean when you say "I don't beleive I will have the current years taxes back by that time. I can certainly file, but I dont think I will get them back in time."? You don't need to have anything 'back' from the IRS. If you are not due a refund, you are not going to get anything 'back' from the IRS anyway (unless the IRS questions your return). You should provide a copy of the most recent tax return(s) that you've filed.

Unless you are self-employed, you are putting too much emphasis on your tax returns. More important is a letter from your employer and your most recent pay stubs to document what you are earning now (as in at the time of the interview).

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by IndyGreg
Hello all! I am currently waiting for an approval of an 129f petition for my fiancee (I got our first NOA from Nebraska on September the 9th) and it looks like we may have an approval in about a month or two if they keep up the pace they are going at.

This leads me to this question: I need 3 years tax returns for Thailand correct? I know all of them are different, but I seem to remember Bangkok requiring 3 years. It would be great if anyone can answer this.

The second and more important question is this: I don't know if I am going to need a co sponsor or not.

I am estimating a timeframe of about February or March for her arrival, however I don't beleive I will have the current years taxes back by that time. I can certainly file, but I dont think I will get them back in time.

I have an income of $29,000 in 2001, well over the limits, but in 2002 I only have an income of $10,000 (it was a bad year) 2003 the current tax year, my W2's are going to show that I made around $32,000, so I am good there too.

I also have a co sponsor, but I would rather do it on my own. Do you think I will be okay with just my W'2's? Or will I need an actual return? Thanks for any answers!
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks very much to the both of you!

Jeff, I work as a tipped employee, so my wages change week to week. I guess the nice thing is that I can claim however much I want, so before I send the document to the embassy I can adjust things to how I see fit.

I imagine the letter from my employer they would just state my average tips that I claim per week? (around $500) I also get paid $5 an hour on top of tips.

It seems maybe the AOS is where I have to start getting into the serious stuff.

Thanks again
Greg
Old Jan 3rd 2004, 6:50 am

Vik,

In my opinion you are putting the cart (the I-134) before the horse (the public charge provision of the law that must be met to get a visa). Be guided 1st by the DS-2000 as it is provided by your particular post. An affidavit of support is but 1 part of this issue.

Not all posts require an I-134, so the I-134 itself is not a universal requirement. Some posts use the I-864.

Regards, JEff

In the directions for the I-134, part II says,
"The sponsor must submit, in duplicate, evidence of income & resources as appropriate.
B. Statement of your employer on business stationary, showing:
1. date & nature of employment
2. salary paid
3. whether position is temporary or permanent"

To me, that makes it seem like it is universally required...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.