affidavit of support: a question and quandary

Wikiposts

affidavit of support: a question and quandary

Old Jun 9th 2002, 7:20 am
Doug

Default affidavit of support: a question and quandary

Hi,

I'm a U.S. citizen, my wife is European, and we married in May of 2001 for love
(i.e., no intent to circumvent immigration laws). Now things are not going so well
between us, and our AOS interview comes up in July 2002. It's the Los Angeles office,
so there's a long wait between application and the interview.

Since there was no fraud involved in the marriage, I expect that it will not matter
to the INS if our future together is uncertain. Am I right about this?

We are still together, but could be separated in a few months. At any rate, we plan
to answer all questions honestly, and don't even know if they ask questions about if
we plan to stay together. (Will they??)

Now here is my quandary, and it concerns the affidavit of support, and the worse case
scenario of a medical emergency through accident or illness. If something happened
and she wasn't covered by insurance, the State would then come to me for
reimbursement. She would return to her country for treatment if possible, but if it
were something really disastrous involving intensive care for weeks she wouldn't be
able to get on a plane, and then I'll be bankrupt.

I know that my financial responsibility does not end with divorce. She wants to live
in the U.S. (she likes the southern Calif. climate). If we divorce, she will want to
stay. Medical insurance is so expensive that I realize she may not be able to
maintain it at all times. Perhaps I will need to try to find a policy for her which
covers medical emergencies only--it might not be as expensive as more comprehensive
medical insurance.

So the quandary is I'd like her to stay if she wants to, but at the same time I worry
about the slight possibility of incurring massive medical bills (in a worse case
scenario).

I hope some of you can offer some suggestions or insight into this for
me. I want her to be well and cared for no matter what she does, but if she's not
living with me, I'm not eager for the financial responsibility.

Thanks. Doug

Old Jun 9th 2002, 7:20 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: affidavit of support: a question and quandary

> medical bills (in a worse case scenario).
    >
    > I hope some of you can offer some suggestions or insight into this for
    > me. I want her to be well and cared for no matter what she does, but if she's not
    > living with me, I'm not eager for the financial responsibility.

I honestly don't know what you want from this newsgroup

If the AOS is successful, you will be financially responsible. If not, then she will
have to leave and you will not be financially responsible.