Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support Question I-134

Wikiposts

Affidavit of Support Question I-134

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:22 am
Just Joined

jorge 1969 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of Support Question I-134

My fiancee (K-1) received her Packet 3 in chile and I am preparing the Affidavit of Support (I-134).

My question is that if one is not self-employed then you don't have to submit a tax return, right?

Per I-134 instructions:

B. "Statement of your employer on business stationery, showing:

1. date and nature of employment
2. salary paid
3. whether position is temporary or permanent

Per section C, a tax return is only needed if one is self-employed.

Is this correct?

I guess I just had the preconceived notion that I would have to provide previous 3 years of tax returns, but I don't see that anywhere in the instructions for I-134.

The email received from the US consulate in Chile says:

Please remember that as the petitioner, you must submit proof that your fiancée would not become a public charge after her entry to the U.S. For this purpose you must fill out form I-134, notarize it and attach documentation that certifies your income such as, income taxes and employment letters.

So, maybe I will include my income taxes to be sure.

Thanks!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:30 am
GiveMeStrength

Default Re: Affidavit of Support Question I-134

Originally posted by jorge 1969
My fiancee (K-1) received her Packet 3 in chile and I am preparing the Affidavit of Support (I-134).

My question is that if one is not self-employed then you don't have to submit a tax return, right?

Per I-134 instructions:

2. salary paid

Is this correct?

I guess I just had the preconceived notion that I would have to provide previous 3 years of tax returns, but I don't see that anywhere in the instructions for I-134.

Please remember that as the petitioner, you must submit proof that your fiancée would not become a public charge after her entry to the U.S. For this purpose you must fill out form I-134, notarize it and attach documentation that certifies your income such as, income taxes and employment letters.

Thanks!
I also had the preconceived notion that tax returns were required for the I-134, but apparently it depends on the country on whether or not they require them. I went ahead and included them as additional documentation, along with a letter from my bank, a letter from from my employer and 2 months worth of paycheck stubs.

So, although it appears that Chile doesn't require them, I think its additional proof that couldn't hurt to include.

Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by GiveMeStrength
I also had the preconceived notion that tax returns were required for the I-134, but apparently it depends on the country on whether or not they require them. I went ahead and included them as additional documentation, along with a letter from my bank, a letter from from my employer and 2 months worth of paycheck stubs.

So, although it appears that Chile doesn't require them, I think its additional proof that couldn't hurt to include.

Thanks GMS, will do.
I have a letter from my employer and my bank(s).
Tax returns should do the trick, thanks.

George
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:37 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

jorge,

You need to look also at the instructions on DS-2000 that was in you fiancee's Packet #3.

One of the requirements to be approved for the visa is to prove that your fiancee will not become a public charge after she enters the US. The DS-2000 tells her what is required to prove this. One of the things is an affidavit of support, which may be the I-134 or at some consulates it is the I-864. Some consulates may have other forms of their own that they want included.

Anyway, the DS-2000 forms that I have seen ask for supporting information to accompany the affidavit. Pick 2 or more of 4 listed items. One of the 4 listed items is tax returns.

Long way of saying that the consulate may require you to submit 1 or 3 years of tax returns even though the I-134 itself does not list the tax returns as a requirement.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by jorge 1969

Per I-134 instructions:

2. salary paid

Is this correct?

Thanks!
Old Dec 18th 2003, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
jorge,

You need to look also at the instructions on DS-2000 that was in you fiancee's Packet #3.

One of the requirements to be approved for the visa is to prove that your fiancee will not become a public charge after she enters the US. The DS-2000 tells her what is required to prove this. One of the things is an affidavit of support, which may be the I-134 or at some consulates it is the I-864. Some consulates may have other forms of their own that they want included.

Anyway, the DS-2000 forms that I have seen ask for supporting information to accompany the affidavit. Pick 2 or more of 4 listed items. One of the 4 listed items is tax returns.

Long way of saying that the consulate may require you to submit 1 or 3 years of tax returns even though the I-134 itself does not list the tax returns as a requirement.

Regards, JEff

Jeff, thanks.

I had spoken with my fiancee and they want I-134, so at least consulate email to me and her packet are consistent. I will check with her later to see if any specific documents (2 of 4) are listed in her packet.

Thanks again.
Jorge