Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support question.......

Wikiposts

Affidavit of support question.......

Old Jul 24th 2002, 12:20 pm
The Mallrat

Default Affidavit of support question.......

Hi there, I am currently in the process of obtaining a K-1 fiancee visa, and I have a
question about the affidavit of support:

Because my fiancee has only just graduated college, her Mom has filled in the
affidavit and had it notarised. I will be living with my fiancee at her parents'
house to start off with. Will this be ok, or does it HAVE to be my fiancee that fills
in the affidavit even though she has only just started work out of college?

Kind regards, Richard.

Old Jul 24th 2002, 12:57 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support question.......

She has to complete one regardless of her income or lack thereof. Her mother has to complete one as well and show that she can support you and her and anyone else dependent on her living in the household at 125% of the poverty guidelines.

Rete
Old Jul 24th 2002, 1:20 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

The Mallrat wrote:

> I am currently in the process of obtaining a K-1 fiancee visa, and I have a
    > question about the affidavit of support:
    >
    > Because my fiancee has only just graduated college, her Mom has filled in the
    > affidavit and had it notarised. I will be living with my fiancee at her parents'
    > house to start off with. Will this be ok, or does it HAVE to be my fiancee that
    > fills in the affidavit even though she has only just started work out of college?

It is *mandatory* that the petitioner execute an I-864 in a family-based immigration
case. This would be true if the petitioner did not have a penny and could not earn a
penny. In your case, the petitioner is your fiancee. She has to fill out the I-864
and sign it in front of a notary.

If the income and assets demonstrated in that I-864 are insufficient, then a joint
sponsor may execute a separate I-864. And in your case that would be your fiancee's
mother's I-864.

Old Jul 24th 2002, 2:20 pm
Sylvia Ottemoel

Sylvia Ottemoeller wrote:

> The Mallrat wrote:

>> I am currently in the process of obtaining a K-1 fiancee visa, and I have a
    >> question about the affidavit of support:
    >>
    >> Because my fiancee has only just graduated college, her Mom has filled in the
    >> affidavit and had it notarised. I will be living with my fiancee at her parents'
    >> house to start off with. Will this be ok, or does it HAVE to be my fiancee that
    >> fills in the affidavit even though she has only just started work out of college?
    >
    >
    > It is *mandatory* that the petitioner execute an I-864 in a family-based
    > immigration case. This would be true if the petitioner did not have a penny and
    > could not earn a penny. In your case, the petitioner is your fiancee. She has to
    > fill out the I-864 and sign it in front of a notary.
    >
    > If the income and assets demonstrated in that I-864 are insufficient, then a joint
    > sponsor may execute a separate I-864. And in your case that would be your fiancee's
    > mother's I-864.

Oops, I don't think this applies to the K-1 interview. It will apply at the time of
filing your I-485 later on. I'd better let others answer. Actually, I don't think
your fiancee has to fill out the I-134.