Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support question

Wikiposts

Affidavit of Support question

Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Affidavit of Support question

Okay, well we're going to have a co-sponser on our updated I-864 that we have to bring with us to the interview anyway, but the plan is to only use the co-sponser if we need to.

Now, my husband makes enough money currently but its not reflected on his last tax return (just his paychecks and letter from his employer), so we're not sure how that's going to go over.

But, above and beyond that, we've got about $30,000 that my parents had put away for me when I was young that is basically intended as a downpayment for a house in the future. The thing is, the account that money is in, is in my fathers name. Would a statement or bank letter stating the balance, and a notorized letter from my father stating that money is intended for my husband and I count as an asset? Or is the fact that its not currently in our name going to make it something that the adjudicating officer doesn't even want to see?
Old Aug 30th 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

andrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond reputeandrea874 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Support question

Anyone?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrea874
Anyone?
Why don't you have the 30k transferred into your name? Your father doesn't think you'll use it for a downpayment? He is going to give it to you anyway so why not give it to you now and make your life easier with USCIS?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
Why don't you have the 30k transferred into your name? Your father doesn't think you'll use it for a downpayment? He is going to give it to you anyway so why not give it to you now and make your life easier with USCIS?

I asked him about that. He said something about wanting to keep it in his name for as long as he can, something to do with his company and taxes. The main reason though, is that hes a very stubborn man, and doesn't think it would be "fair" to do that for me, when he didnt put my older brother and sisters $ in their names until they bought a house. Dumb reason, yes, I am well aware. I would rather get a joint sponser, than have to have a big fight with my parents about whether they're going to put money that they are choosing to generously give me in my name before they want to or not... I'm just curious as to whether a letter stating its intended for our use is something that the USCIS will even care about...
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to beholdsphyrapicus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by andrea874
I asked him about that. He said something about wanting to keep it in his name for as long as he can, something to do with his company and taxes. The main reason though, is that hes a very stubborn man, and doesn't think it would be "fair" to do that for me, when he didnt put my older brother and sisters $ in their names until they bought a house. Dumb reason, yes, I am well aware. I would rather get a joint sponser, than have to have a big fight with my parents about whether they're going to put money that they are choosing to generously give me in my name before they want to or not... I'm just curious as to whether a letter stating its intended for our use is something that the USCIS will even care about...
I don't think you can consider something an asset relevant to the I-864 if it is not in your, your husband's, or your joint sponsor's name.

By the way, is the 30k in CDN funds or USD?
Old Aug 31st 2004, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sphyrapicus
I don't think you can consider something an asset relevant to the I-864 if it is not in your, your husband's, or your joint sponsor's name.

By the way, is the 30k in CDN funds or USD?
Canadian, so its more like 20K here...

And, thanks for the answer