Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support and missing W-2's

Affidavit of support and missing W-2's

Old Jan 29th 2006, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of
Default Affidavit of support and missing W-2's

Hello everyone,

My wife is currently fixing her affidavit of support for my immigration proceedings.

Though she comfortably meets the criteria of 125% of the poverty line, due to some unfortunate circumstances, she does not have one of her W-2's from the previous 3 years.

I have two questions really -

1) - What options do we have? Is it possible to get a copy of the missing W-2, and if so where could this document be requested?

2) - Also, does anybody have any experience with using a co-signer in these circumstances? Would this involve a great deal of interaction, as far as paperwork etc, between the co-signer and NVC or USCIS?

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support and missing W-2's

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Hello everyone,

My wife is currently fixing her affidavit of support for my immigration proceedings.

Though she comfortably meets the criteria of 125% of the poverty line, due to some unfortunate circumstances, she does not have one of her W-2's from the previous 3 years.

1) - What options do we have? Is it possible to get a copy of the missing W-2, and if so where could this document be requested?

2) - Also, does anybody have any experience with using a co-signer in these circumstances? Would this involve a great deal of interaction, as far as paperwork etc, between the co-signer and NVC or USCIS?

The Joint Sponsor issue has nothing to do with the missing W-2s. ie, having one will not fix your wife's lack of W-2s.

Employers should keep W-2s on file for X years. The cheap & cheerful way to get copies would be from the employers.

Failing that, replacement W-2s can be ordered from the IRS.

Is your case going through the NVC? If so, you might not be able to dodge the W-2s, but if your case was directly filed in, oh--say, London, you might be able to use the IRS (free) tax transcripts, or Letter 1722 which show all the tax return data in a format that is acceptable to the USCIS/Dept of State.
Old Jan 29th 2006, 11:46 pm
Nina

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:52:36 +0000, California_Bound
<member47659@british_expats.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
    >My wife is currently fixing her affidavit of support for my immigration
    >proceedings.
    >Though she comfortably meets the criteria of 125% of the poverty line,
    >due to some unfortunate circumstances, she does not have one of her W-
    >2's from the previous 3 years.
    >I have two questions really -
    >1) - What options do we have? Is it possible to get a copy of the
    > missing W-2, and if so where could this document be requested?

From the previous three years? Are you filling out the I-134? If so,
I believe (and hope!) that you only need last year's information. All
I can find (and I'm filling it out, too... ) is where it says, "last
year's tax return."

Nina

Old Jan 30th 2006, 2:23 am
Cpl Leach

My wife and I ran into this problem - easily sorted.

Call the IRS, have your wife get a copy from them and have it fxed over
or mailed. No cost (atleast there was no cost to us) but your wife has
to speak to them, you cannot do it

Just send those in and add an explaination and your good to go.

Old Jan 30th 2006, 3:08 am
BE Enthusiast

bionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to beholdbionomique is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by California_Bound
Hello everyone,

There was a recent memo issued revising the Affidavit of Support procedures. If I can recall correctly, if this is an I-864 for AOS, and is being first submitted after November 2005, only one year's tax return is now required. If she's updating the Affiidavit of support to present at an interview (replacing one previously filed), she'll need the 3 years but can request tax transcripts from the IRS.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

California_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud ofCalifornia_Bound has much to be proud of

Thanks for your help with this guys!
Old Jan 30th 2006, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

evanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura aboutevanio1978 has a spectacular aura about

my wife didn't file last year due to being in school and being in the U.K. We wrote a cover letter to explain..... We filed and as yet haven't recieved a RFE.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:32 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cpl Leach
My wife and I ran into this problem - easily sorted.

Call the IRS, have your wife get a copy from them and have it fxed over
or mailed. No cost (atleast there was no cost to us) but your wife has
to speak to them, you cannot do it

Just send those in and add an explaination and your good to go.
There is no cost for duplicate W-2s?? Or are you remembering the transcripts?
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:33 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
There is no cost for duplicate W-2s?? Or are you remembering the transcripts?
There was no cost when I requested a duplicate W-2 from my employer. Is that what you mean?

Rene
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There was no cost when I requested a duplicate W-2 from my employer. Is that what you mean?

Rene
No, quoted poster said call IRS for freebies. I think the OP is asking about missing W-2s, and everyone's responses seemed geared toward missing tax returns.
Old Jan 30th 2006, 5:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
No, quoted poster said call IRS for freebies. I think the OP is asking about missing W-2s, and everyone's responses seemed geared toward missing tax returns.
Aha. Missing W-2's can be obtained from your employer(s) at no charge. I had to do the same thing when I was missing one, at the request of the US Consulate in Ankara, Turkey.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 30th 2006, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Affidavit of support and missing W-2's

Originally Posted by Noorah101

Rene
It's my good friend Rene!

Just thought i'd add on the little bit of knowledge i have gleamed since i initially posted.

My wife shoudl be able to obtain her missing w-2's from her employers, as by law, they have to keep an archive of these. If it wasn't possible to go through her employers, she could get replacements from the IRS, though these are 39 bux each.

Hopefully this helps at least one person out.

Once again, thanks for your continuing support to everyone on the forums here. It's great to know that my wife and I aren't the only ones in the world going through this process.

See you all in California soon! (immigration permitting!) ;-)