Affidavit of Support for K1 Interview

Wikiposts

Affidavit of Support for K1 Interview

Old Sep 9th 2018, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

01morrissonj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of Support for K1 Interview

Good morning/afternoon all,

Some of you may have seen my timeline thread through the K1 fiancée visa process,
So far the USCIS has had our I-129F for a little over 5 months now and we are getting things together in readiness for "the next stage".

Looking at the website for the US Embassy in London, one of the required documents listed is an Affidavit of Support (the site suggests using form I-134).
Now, because my fiancée doesn't currently earn enough, her father is my financial sponsor/benefactor and as part of the I-129F paperwork the Lawyer submitted some financial documents as evidence of his income.
When I asked my Lawyer if I would need similar documentation as part of the Affidavit of Support I take to my K1 interview he swiftly dismissed the idea stating:

"You do not need an affidavit of support, who ever told you this was lying, you don't need one for the interview."

So now I am a little confused, the US Embassy website says I need an affidavit and I have seen write ups on here where people have taken an affidavit to their interview at the London Embassy.
I know the easiest thing is to wait until I get the letter from the Embassy with the next set of instructions in it, but I am visiting my fiancée in the states in a few weeks time, which would be a perfect opportunity to take copies of any financial documents I need as part of the Affidavit of Support.

Can anyone cast a little light on this?
Is an Affidavit of Support required as part of my interview?

Thanks very much,
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:28 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Support for K1 Interview

K1 doesn't require an I-864 for approval, but it does require the I-134. The I-864 will be needed when you AOS after marriage.
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why financial information was submitted with the I-129F either.

Have the person fill out an I-134 and provide supporting evidence like 3 years of tax transcripts if using income to prove ability.

Has the lawyer experience of London's process? Or any experience at all...?
Old Sep 9th 2018, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Not sure why financial information was submitted with the I-129F either.

Have the person fill out an I-134 and provide supporting evidence like 3 years of tax transcripts if using income to prove ability.

Has the lawyer experience of London's process? Or any experience at all...?

Thanks for the feedback,
The additional financial information was added at the lawyers recommendation as proof of income alongside tax transcripts. He said it was something to do with the amount he earns??

Anyway, I believe I will need the I-134, the US Embassy webpage says I will need the I-134, and I have read other people needing them,
I just wanted to ask the question myself and see what people recommend.

As for the lawyer, I don't have much confidence in him...

Cheers
Old Sep 10th 2018, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 01morrissonj
Thanks for the feedback,
The additional financial information was added at the lawyers recommendation as proof of income alongside tax transcripts. He said it was something to do with the amount he earns??

Anyway, I believe I will need the I-134, the US Embassy webpage says I will need the I-134, and I have read other people needing them,
I just wanted to ask the question myself and see what people recommend.

As for the lawyer, I don't have much confidence in him...

Cheers
The London US embassy website accurately describes the process for K-1 at London
Old Sep 10th 2018, 12:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

My apologies to all the good immigrations out there but it seems that when posters to these forums use immigration attorneys for marriage/fiancée visas, the ones they choose to retain are inexperienced and lack knowledge of the process. This causes so many life problems and anxiety to their clients that it gives the entire profession a bad reputation.

Sorry your fiancée hired one who is not up to par, morrisson, and so glad that experienced posters have been able to assist you so that you don't get further delayed by referrals for evidence at the time of your interview.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
My apologies to all the good immigrations out there but it seems that when posters to these forums use immigration attorneys for marriage/fiancée visas, the ones they choose to retain are inexperienced and lack knowledge of the process. This causes so many life problems and anxiety to their clients that it gives the entire profession a bad reputation.

Sorry your fiancée hired one who is not up to par, morrisson, and so glad that experienced posters have been able to assist you so that you don't get further delayed by referrals for evidence at the time of your interview.

Undoubtedly this forum has been a fountain of knowledge, either from confirming what I'm already thinking, or finding something entirely new.

The choice of Lawyer was not my own, he's actually a relative of my future mother-in-law which is really why we went with him (not a good reason, I know, but that's whats happened).
I got the impression that he was only telling us what he thought we wanted to hear.
I did my own research before we met and so far all the info I found from here has been more accurate that what he told us.....

Certainly, I will not be using him in the future.
Old Sep 10th 2018, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Muna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond reputeMuna_93 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete

This is so true. An unreal amount of posts I've read (both here on this forum and others) where there have been delays due to incorrect filing are cases where a lawyer has been used. It's insane that people get paid for this job and can't do simple research on their cases. It makes me sad for those of us that use them thinking it'll make the process easier/faster.

Anyway, good luck and all the very best OP!