Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of support I-864? I-134?

Wikiposts

Affidavit of support I-864? I-134?

Old Oct 14th 2003, 7:58 am
Madelon

Default Affidavit of support I-864? I-134?

What is the basic difference between the two forms of "Affidavidt of
Support"

The I-864 is a long form and the I-134 is a short form.

Our cosponsor is retired and does not have much annual income but he does
have a lot of assets.

The I-864 does not seem to apply to his situation and our cosponsor does not
want to fill it out.

Is it necessary to fill out the I-864?

Madelon

Old Oct 14th 2003, 8:53 am
Queen of the Obvious

KimJ is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it depends on which forms you are filing...

I filed the i-864 Affidavit of support with the i-130 paperwork.

The i-134 will get sent to my husband when he has his interview for the k3 visa (i-129)

Anyone?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:22 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of support I-864? I-134?

Madelon,

The I-864 is a binding agreement between the sponsor and the US Government. Either the government or the sponsored alien can sue the sponsor, at the sponsor's expense, to ensure that the alien receives the minimum level of support.

The I-134 is not binding. It simply documents that the sponsor has adequate resources to provide a minimum level of support to the alien.

Sooner or later, if the alien is going to become an immigrant, the alien's spouse is going to provide an I-864. And if the spouse does not have adequate resources, some co-sponsor, possibly the alien themself, is also going to sign.

If your co-sponsor is retired and does not have much income (s)he is being very sensible to balk at signing an I-864 - (s)he, and you, could potentially be financially responsible for your ex-spouse long after the marriage has dissolved. You may be willing to accept that risk, but is it reaqlly fair to ask someone else to accept it also? Especially someone who is in the circumstances that you describe?

Originally posted by Madelon
What is the basic difference between the two forms of "Affidavidt of
Support"

The I-864 is a long form and the I-134 is a short form.

Our cosponsor is retired and does not have much annual income but he does
have a lot of assets.

The I-864 does not seem to apply to his situation and our cosponsor does not
want to fill it out.

Is it necessary to fill out the I-864?

Madelon
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:26 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Personally my husband and I filed the I-134 with the K1 visa and then the I-864 with the AOS, because those are the forms they sent us along with the packages when we requested them. We were sort of annoyed having to file a second affidavit of support and didn't quite understand why we needed to since they already had all that info...or why they couldn't go ahead and get all the detailed information the first time around so that you don't have to give them the same info twice. But hey, I guess that's the government...they make you file all the paperwork twice so that they have double the work for their employees.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 9:31 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Steffi,

Did you read that I-864 before Patrick signed and sent it? The government is not just asking for information on that form, they're obligating Patrick to put his money where his heart is.

Originally posted by Steffi
Personally my husband and I filed the I-134 with the K1 visa and then the I-864 with the AOS, because those are the forms they sent us along with the packages when we requested them. We were sort of annoyed having to file a second affidavit of support and didn't quite understand why we needed to since they already had all that info...or why they couldn't go ahead and get all the detailed information the first time around so that you don't have to give them the same info twice. But hey, I guess that's the government...they make you file all the paperwork twice so that they have double the work for their employees.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Oct 14th 2003 at 9:34 am.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 10:01 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Jeffrey, yes we read it. Patrick will be responsible for me until I can get naturalization...and he could even get fined $10,000 (I think) if he doesn't report having moved within 30 days. We realize it's a great responsibility.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 11:42 am

Steffi,

Excellent :-) So then you do realize that there is a very significant difference between the I-864 and the I-134 - it's not just more of the same as your previous post seemed to indicate.

Originally posted by Steffi
Jeffrey, yes we read it. Patrick will be responsible for me until I can get naturalization...and he could even get fined $10,000 (I think) if he doesn't report having moved within 30 days. We realize it's a great responsibility.