Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit of Support - DCF London Question

Affidavit of Support - DCF London Question

Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Loversdream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Affidavit of Support - DCF London Question

We have just got the form back from my father-in-law, who is sponsoring me....
Could you please tell me.. since my hubby is here with me and we hope to go
together to the United States... does he have to fill in the form also, bearing in
mind he has no job to go to in the US? We will both be looking for employment
when we get there.

Ohhh by the way.... his father earns way over the poverty line.

Last edited by Loversdream; Aug 7th 2007 at 6:09 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:10 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit of Support - DCF London Question

Originally Posted by Loversdream
together to the United States... does he have to fill in the form also, bearing in
when we get there.

Yes. The USC husband must also fill out and submit an I-864. He is your main sponsor, so he needs to submit an I-864. His father is only a joint sponsor.

If your husband is working, he will also need to submit a letter from his employer and pay stubs, even though he doesn't meet the income requirements.

If he is not working, his income on the I-864 will show zero.

Your husband will also need to submit the most recent 3 years of tax returns along with the I-864. If he didn't file tax returns, he needs to contact the IRS department of the London embassy and get direction on that.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:11 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

when we get there.

Also, hopefully your father in law also submitted all relevant backup documents to the I-864:

3 years of tax returns and W-2s
letter from employer and current paystub, or if he's retired, some statements showing how he gets his income.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Loversdream is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you very much Rene
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:16 pm

Just make sure the father in law earns way over the poverty line for his own household plus the immigrant. Not for just you and your husband.

For example, if your father in law has a wife and 2 children, he would want to look at the poverty line for a household of 5.

If your father in law is alone in the household, then his poverty line would be for a household of 2. Himself plus the immigrant.

Rene
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:17 pm

Thank you very much Rene
You're quite welcome.