Wikiposts

affidavit of support

Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

breadhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default affidavit of support

Hi all could some body craftily a statement here as I have some conflicting information

The binding agreement for and affidavit of support is for how long ?

Indefinite, 3 years dose anybody have any good websites resource the clarify thi

Thanks

Last edited by breadhead; Jul 10th 2007 at 5:26 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: affidavit of support

It's on the form.

Could be a day, could be a lifetime.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
It's on the form.

Could be a day, could be a lifetime.
Yes i can see that but question was Indefinite or 3 years and if 3 years what happends after that ?
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:53 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by breadhead
Yes i can see that but question was Indefinite or 3 years and if 3 years what happends after that ?
Very unlikely to be 3 years.

Once one of the qualfying events takes place the sponsor is of the hook.

For example if the person naturalises.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Very unlikely to be 3 years.

Once one of the qualfying events takes place the sponsor is of the hook.

For example if the person naturalises.
and if they do not naturalises , any websites outling this information
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:06 pm
Account Closed

You say you have the form?

If not its on the UCSIS web site.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

and if they do not naturalises , any websites outling this information
Just like to add this is a I-134 not a I-864
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

Just like to add this is a I-134 not a I-864
134 is not enforcable.
Old Jul 10th 2007, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

134 is not enforcable.
so we are saying 3 years then then expires
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:05 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

so we are saying 3 years then then expires
No... he's saying that it is not enforceable... which means that even though the form says it is binding for 3 years, it isn't even binding for 5 minutes. In fact... it's not binding at all.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Where is the OP getting this "3 years" from? There is no "3-year" thing involved in either one of the affidavits of support.

To the OP, basically the I-134 is NOT a binding contract, it is used for the visa process to bring you to the USA. It's the I-864 which is a binding contract between the sponsor and the US government. There is no length of contract, it's until one of the criteria has been met to end the contract.

If you are entering as a K-1, for example, the I-134 will be used to bring you to the USA, but the I-864 which is used with your AOS will be the binding contract until one of the following happens:
1. you naturalize
2. you work about 10 years of qualifying work
3. you leave the USA permanently
4. you die
5. the sponsor dies.

Rene
Old Jul 11th 2007, 3:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Where is the OP getting this "3 years" from? There is no "3-year" thing involved in either one of the affidavits of support.

To the OP, basically the I-134 is NOT a binding contract, it is used for the visa process to bring you to the USA. It's the I-864 which is a binding contract between the sponsor and the US government. There is no length of contract, it's until one of the criteria has been met to end the contract.

If you are entering as a K-1, for example, the I-134 will be used to bring you to the USA, but the I-864 which is used with your AOS will be the binding contract until one of the following happens:
1. you naturalize
2. you work about 10 years of qualifying work
3. you leave the USA permanently
4. you die
5. the sponsor dies.

Rene
Ahh so what i am reading is that a person would have to filed I-864 at the point of sending in the AOS papers correct ,.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:00 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
It is in the I-134... "I understand this affidavit will be binding upon me for a period of three (3) years after entry of the person(s) named in item 3..."

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2007, 5:09 am
Account Closed

Ahh so what i am reading is that a person would have to filed I-864 at the point of sending in the AOS papers correct ,.
If you file for AOS, then yes... the I-864 (Affidavit of Support) is the form to use... and it *is* a binding contract between the sponsor and the US government.

Ian
Old Jul 11th 2007, 10:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It is in the I-134... "I understand this affidavit will be binding upon me for a period of three (3) years after entry of the person(s) named in item 3..."

Ian
Thanks Ian, it's been so long since I did an I-134 I forgot the verbage.

Rene

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.