Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affidavit questions/uncertainties

Wikiposts

Affidavit questions/uncertainties

Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:15 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affidavit questions/uncertainties

Originally Posted by Mattflax
hmmm, interesting. wonder where we could confirm this for sure.

Also, to the floor - just to make sure. My parents live in the US and father is on a work visa, planning to live in the us for a few years. They definitely have to be USC's yeah? Sorry if this is obvious. just want to get rid of the low hanging fruit
I don't think you will find that codified anywhere; there might be a couple of other things mixed in with what Duncan said.
BUT, he's on the right track in that loaned or gifted money may be questioned (and rejected) by the CO as not conforming to the root of the i-864, which is to make sure your immigrant does not become a public charge. Understand that it's not a concern that you can feed yourselves, but a protection so that I (and other US taxpayers) do not have to feed you.

JEff posted the details of the portion of the 9FAM which discuss this. That, and the I-864 links from the article in my signature should be helpful.

A Sponsor or Joint Sponsor for the I-864 must be a US citizen or Permanent Resident, domiciled in the US. If you have not yet read the I-864 + instructions to see that for yourself, the conversation will be pretty limited from here.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:43 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mattflax
hmmm, interesting. wonder where we could confirm this for sure.

Also, to the floor - just to make sure. My parents live in the US and father is on a work visa, planning to live in the us for a few years. They definitely have to be USC's yeah? Sorry if this is obvious. just want to get rid of the low hanging fruit
They have to be either USC's or LPR's. If they are just there on a work visa, then they cannot be joint sponsors.

Rene
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:47 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

9 FAM 40.41 Notes, in particular N5 and N6, and 9 FAM 40.41 Procedural Notes are recommeded reading.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by meauxna
JEff posted the details of the portion of the 9FAM which discuss this. That, and the I-864 links from the article in my signature should be helpful.