Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affadavit of Support Question.

Wikiposts

Affadavit of Support Question.

Old Feb 18th 2002, 1:46 pm
Mahesh Sharma

Default Affadavit of Support Question.

I have just received packet 3 for my wife. My problem is my income for the last 3
year's is below the proverty level, However i do have some money in the bank that
when added to my income is about about $1000.00 above the proverty level.

My lawyer advised me not to send AOS papers with my current income and asked me to
find a co-sponser. I do not have any relatives in this country and my friends are not
willing to be a co-sponser.

Is there any other way AOS can be done.

Any advise is sincerly appreciated.

Old Feb 18th 2002, 2:25 pm
Deepti Kunjeer

Default Re: Affadavit of Support Question.

Namaste again Mr Sharma,

I had this same problem, or at least very similar. However, the lawyer is probably
right. My situation was that I currently meet the guidelines, but I did not work in
1999 and I only worked for part of 2000. I spoke to a lawyer and was advised that you
don't have to meet the guidelines for all three years, just you have to show that you
are currently meeting them. Also, other assets could be used like your car and
house.. is there anything you might have forgotten to include? Also, they will look
at your complete situation, perhaps you were a college student and just got a new
job, that is something to be considered. The only real rule I think, is that you have
to show you can reasonably support her above the poverty line - how that is acheived,
they don't care. Also you might try contacting your local district INS office and ask
if they might review your income information and give you some clues.

Does this hopefully help at all?

regards,

D. Kunjeer

Mahesh Sharma wrote in message ...
    >I have just received packet 3 for my wife. My problem is my income for the last 3
    >year's is below the proverty level, However i do have some money in the bank that
    >when added to my income is about about $1000.00 above the proverty level.
    >
    >My lawyer advised me not to send AOS papers with my current income and asked me to
    >find a co-sponser. I do not have any relatives in this country and my friends are
    >not willing to be a co-sponser.
    >
    >Is there any other way AOS can be done.
    >
    >Any advise is sincerly appreciated.