Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Affadavit of Support!!!!!????????? HELP!!!!

Wikiposts

Affadavit of Support!!!!!????????? HELP!!!!

Old May 2nd 2009, 9:54 am
Just Joined

cat623 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Affadavit of Support!!!!!????????? HELP!!!!

Can anyone help please!!!!!!
My wife and I live in the Uk and want to go to live in LA. We've submitted the first part of the visa to the US Embassy in the UK which has been accepted! So we've been asked to submit the Affadavit of Support (i864)! Ok, heres the hard part.......does anyone know or can anyone translate the process because if they can.....go work at the US Embassy in London, cos they can never answer anything!!!!
Living in the UK does my wife have to have a job in the US first?
Would it be acceptable for our savings to be 125% above the poverty line and not have a job till we get out there? (As in, we have savings which will reach the 125% thing but do we need a job aswell?)
Does my wife need to have filed income tax returns in the US even though shes living here???
Old May 2nd 2009, 10:06 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Affadavit of Support!!!!!????????? HELP!!!!

Originally Posted by cat623
Living in the UK does my wife have to have a job in the US first?
If she does not meet the I-864 requirements right now, you have a few options. She can move to the USA ahead of you and get a job, you guys can use assets if you have enough, or you can use a Joint Sponsor.

Would it be acceptable for our savings to be 125% above the poverty line and not have a job till we get out there? (As in, we have savings which will reach the 125% thing but do we need a job aswell?)
The 125% figure only applies to income. If you want to use savings, you'll have to multiply that figure by 3, and have that amount in assets (savings, property, etc.)

Does my wife need to have filed income tax returns in the US even though shes living here???
Yes. She should have been filing a yearly income tax return. If she hasn't been, it is recommended for her to file at least the most recent 3 years and have proof of that by the time your interview comes around (another few months). US Embassy in London has an IRS Dept especially for people in your wife's situation, and I've heard they are a big help.

Rene