Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

advise, urgent, effect of status through divorce, complex

Wikiposts

advise, urgent, effect of status through divorce, complex

Old Aug 12th 2002, 9:32 am
Woman

Default advise, urgent, effect of status through divorce, complex

I need to know where I stand, I am British and married to a US serviceman for just
over 2 years now, a year ago he brought infidelity to our marriage, i have tried to
live with it but dont feel the same anymore, probably as he is a control freak and
has refused to get councelling with me. We have to kids together (dual citz)and a 3rd
with the same immigration status as myself ( still conditional )as he is from a
previos relationship. I have been getting to know someone on line that is wanting to
take us on, we havent met in person yet and he also happens to be American, if I were
to file for divorce from my husband and decide I want to take my children and myself
to this other guy in the states, before divorce is finalized, what would I need to do
with the immigration situation and would he be able to stop me taking my kids? Thanks
for any and all advice.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 6:13 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: advise, urgent, effect of status through divorce, complex

woman wrote:
    > I have been getting to know someone on line that is wanting to take us on, we
    > havent met in person yet and he also happens to be American,

SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN SLOW DOWN.. You have a child by an earlier relationship 2
children by a husband you have been married to for 2 years, and now you are
considering getting a divorce and rushing into something else?? You need some time
being independent.

> if I were to file for divorce from my husband and decide I want to take my children
    > and myself to this other guy in the states, before divorce is finalized,

Is your husband not interested in the children? If he is, than why take them away
from where he is for them to live with a strange man?

what
    > would I need to do with the immigration situation and would he be able to stop me
    > taking my kids? Thanks for any and all advice.

As far as immigration goes, you can file I-751 for removal of conditions immediately
after divorce. If still married, you would have to file it jointly with your current
husband unless you can prove abuse. He can legally try to stop you from taking the
kids that are his. You didn't mention whether the oldest one was adopted by him or
not. If the child was adopted, then he would have a legal case to prevent your from
taking them away.

Personally, I can't imagine bouncing from a bad marriage into a serious commitment
with someone you haven't even met yet. I think if you want to get divorced, then get
divorced. But, don't do it with the intent on this other guy being the answer to your
life's problems.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 8:01 pm
Jonathan_atc

> As far as immigration goes, you can file I-751 for removal of conditions
    > immediately after divorce. If still married, you would have to file it jointly with
    > your current husband unless you can prove abuse. He can legally try to stop you
    > from taking the kids that are his. You didn't mention whether the oldest one was
    > adopted by him or not. If the child was adopted, then he would have a legal case to
    > prevent your from taking them away.

I don't think she's married to an American, is she?

--
Jonathan_ATC

Old Aug 14th 2002, 9:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mrtravel:
woman wrote:
    > I have been getting to know someone on line that is wanting to take us on, we havent met in person yet and he also happens to be American,

Personally, I can't imagine bouncing from a bad marriage into a serious commitment with someone you haven't even met yet. I think if you want to get divorced, then get
divorced. But, don't do it with the intent on this other guy being the answer to your life's problems.
Maybe the ADD has something to do with it.