Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

advise please concerning son .

Wikiposts

advise please concerning son .

Old Mar 12th 2005, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all
Default advise please concerning son .

this isnt really about moving back but i was wondering if any of u could give me some advice . we have been here 18 months on a pm visa, now our 18 yr old son wants to go off with his aussie mates travelling euorpe & a visit back to uk . i was wondering if he is able to do this & would be ok getting back in to oz , think he wants to go for a yr , do u think its wise ? we dont really want him to go but u know how head strong boys can be , & would rather him to had his citizenship , would appreciate any advice & opinions on this ,
many thanks debs x
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advise please concerning son .

Originally Posted by debreeve
this isnt really about moving back but i was wondering if any of u could give me some advice . we have been here 18 months on a pm visa, now our 18 yr old son wants to go off with his aussie mates travelling euorpe & a visit back to uk . i was wondering if he is able to do this & would be ok getting back in to oz , think he wants to go for a yr , do u think its wise ? we dont really want him to go but u know how head strong boys can be , & would rather him to had his citizenship , would appreciate any advice & opinions on this ,
many thanks debs x
Read form 968i about how Australian permanent residents can return to Australia:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

The initial visa is ok for 5 years - but if he stayed longer in Europe he could well have problems coming back. A lot of young adults go to the UK or Europe 'for a year' and end up staying longer than planned - and then can't come back to Australia.

Also look at http://www.citizenship.gov.au as staying away for a year will partially break the continuity of residence for citizenship purposes and he could well have to serve out another year or more to get citizenship when (or if) he returns.

Jeremy
Jeremy
Old Mar 12th 2005, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Read form 968i about how Australian permanent residents can return to Australia:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/968i.pdf

The initial visa is ok for 5 years - but if he stayed longer in Europe he could well have problems coming back. A lot of young adults go to the UK or Europe 'for a year' and end up staying longer than planned - and then can't come back to Australia.

Also look at http://www.citizenship.gov.au as staying away for a year will partially break the continuity of residence for citizenship purposes and he could well have to serve out another year or more to get citizenship when (or if) he returns.

Jeremy
Jeremy
thanks very much for that will check out those sites , have now looked at his passport & say he has to return b4 sep 08, also just seen that passport will need renewing nxt march 06.
thanks once again .
debs
Old Mar 12th 2005, 4:39 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debreeve
many thanks debs x
Jeremy beat me to it. he's on the ball that guy Yeh your son just needs the RRV (Residents Return Visa)
Old Mar 13th 2005, 7:01 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Jeremy beat me to it. he's on the ball that guy Yeh your son just needs the RRV (Residents Return Visa)
He doesn't need an RRV within the 5 year validity of the re-entry facility on the migrant visa.

However after that he will need and RRV and if he's still living overseas he may not get one (lots of young adult PRs of Australia without citizenship find this out the hard way each year).

Jeremy