Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advice on next steps with K1

Wikiposts

Advice on next steps with K1

Old Jul 23rd 2018, 7:16 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on next steps with K1

Hi folks, thought that I would make a new thread for this question as it will confuse things in the title description of the other. And can I please apologise for the the amount of questions of late, the stress is mounting as you very well must understand.

I'll start again on the situation at hand...

Our I-129F was accepted on the 10th July and my USC fiancee has received the I-797 NOA. I have not received any paper work as of yet regards booking my medical or embassy interview, but my USC fiancee called the NVC and they gave her my LND number and Invoice ID Number over the phone, she was also told "Don't wait to receive an interview date because we are not going to do that, you need too" (which we already know).

OK... so, because we already have a LND number and a Invoice ID Number can we now go ahead and do the steps as indicated on the US Embassy website before receiving the paperwork to speed things up a little? The next steps being...

Step 1. Application Form DS-160 (Currently filled out)
Step 2. Supporting Documents. Assemble all of the documents required in support of your application, including the Affidavit of Support from your fiance(e) (Affidavit of Support received today from USC fiancee and all other documents collected or finalising)
Step 3. Medical Examination. Schedule a medical examination with the Embassy approved physician in London (I did book this today with the LND number that I was given to us over the phone from NVC)
Step 4. After you have attended your medical examination, you should then schedule your visa interview through the Visa Appointment Service.
  • Select “I have received a letter from the consular section with instructions to register or schedule a K visa appointment”;
  • Follow the onscreen instructions to register an account;
    • If you have children applying under your case number, you may “add” applicants to your account after you have added your own details.
  • You will be asked to select your delivery method for the return of your passport if your visa application is successful. Delivery to a courier depot is free. If you wish to upgrade to home/office delivery you can pay an additional fee through your account;
  • Pay the MRV application fee;
  • You will then be offered the first available interview date, but you may choose any available date. Note: You may schedule an appointment to take place after the petition expiration date, provided that you bring to your interview a signed letter from your petitioner confirming that you both remain legally free to marry and that you will marry within 90 days of your arrival in the United States.
  • Please go to “Print Instructions” in order to print your courier confirmation page. You must bring this with you on the day of the visa interview.
Also, I have heard that you need to book the embassy interview before attending the medical and not the other way around, I have seen people say they have been booking them a week apart to give the embassy time to receive the medical documents. We saw something on the CEAC website that mentioned something about 'Choose an Agent' I'm guessing that has nothing to do with a K1 Visa as it means filling out another form called DS-261 and I have not seen that mentioned anywhere to do with the K1 process.

Last edited by Trilo; Jul 23rd 2018 at 8:12 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:08 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Trilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond reputeTrilo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on next steps with K1

Additional... when going onto the CEAC website and inputting the LND Number to Visa Status Check, I can only choose Immigrant Visa (IV) where my LND will work, my USC fiancee said she since found out that this is because CEAC calls a K1 an Immigrant Visa because it will convert to one after marriage/AOS. The pop up brings up a link to the next 6 steps to take which are stated in the screen shot below. Confused is an understatement right now.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

BenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond reputeBenK91 has a reputation beyond repute

As I posted in your other thread (not sure why there are duplicates), the image you've posted above is not for a K1 visa.

A K1 is a non-immigrant visa.

Also, speak to both Knightsbridge and check to see available interview slots and work from there. You need to give yourself at least 5 business days between your medical and your interview to allow the US Embassy to receive them, but again... 5 days is still cutting it very fine and if you have any issues with your medical then your visa will be put on hold, pending the medical results being received.

Last edited by BenK91; Jul 23rd 2018 at 8:19 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Trilo,

The K-1 is actually a non-immigrant visa, but is handled by the immigrant visa unit at the embassy. The chart you posted is for an immigrant visa (like for a spouse, not a fiance) and does not apply to you. You won't be selecting an agent or paying any fees or submitting an affidavit of support to NVC. The only role NVC plays here, for you, is to send your case file to London.

Yes, you can book your medical once you have your LND number.

Yes, you can submit the visa application and schedule an interview. Make sure the interview is at least a week or more after the date of the medical.

Don't forget the visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical.

Hopefully your USC fiancee has completed an I-134 affidavit of support (not the I-864 which is for an immigrant visa).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jul 23rd 2018 at 8:39 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:38 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

After doing some digging it seems that a K1 is now classed as an Immigrant Visa...

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

Sorry for the duplicate question also, many apologies.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:41 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Trilo,

The K-1 is actually a non-immigrant visa, but is handled by the immigrant visa unit at the embassy. The chart you posted is for an immigrant visa (like for a spouse, not a fiance) and does not apply to you. You won't be selecting an agent or paying any fees or submitting an affidavit of support to NVC. The only role NVC plays here, for you, is to send your case file to London.

Yes, you can book your medical once you have your LND number.

Yes, you can submit the visa application and schedule an interview. Make sure the interview is at least a week or more after the date of the medical.

Don't forget the visa will be valid for 6 months from the date of the medical.

Hopefully your USC fiancee has completed an I-134 affidavit of support (not the I-864 which is for an immigrant visa).

Rene
Thank you Rene, and sorry for the stressful posts, it's been a long day of sorting out paperwork etc.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trilo
After doing some digging it seems that a K1 is now classed as an Immigrant Visa...

https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/

Sorry for the duplicate question also, many apologies.
It isn't immigrant. You just can have immigrant intent.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 10:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

If the I-129F was on accepted on July 10th what are you rushing for? You have months yet before you can even anticipate an approval.

BTW the K-1 does not convert to an immigration VISA after marriage. Visas are issued outside of the US by the US Consulate/Embassy. After marriage you will be filing for adjustment of status while inside of the US and will not be leaving to go back to the UK for a Visa.

As others have pointed out, you will not be doing what your posted screen shot outlined.

Last edited by Rete; Jul 23rd 2018 at 10:09 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 10:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Rete, since the OP now has an LND case number from NVC, he probably means the I-129F was approved (not accepted).

Rene
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 10:32 am
Ongoing K1 Visa

Originally Posted by Rete
If the I-129F was on accepted on July 10th what are you rushing for? You have months yet before you can even anticipate an approval.

BTW the K-1 does not convert to an immigration VISA after marriage. Visas are issued outside of the US by the US Consulate/Embassy. After marriage you will be filing for adjustment of status while inside of the US and will not be leaving to go back to the UK for a Visa.

As others have pointed out, you will not be doing what your posted screen shot outlined.
Sorry, I meant the I-129F was approved on the 10th July, we filed last December and my USC fiancee has received the I-797 NOA . I have not received any paper work as of yet regards booking my medical or embassy interview, but my USC fiancee called the NVC and they gave her my LND number and Invoice ID Number over the phone, she was also told "Don't wait to receive an interview date because we are not going to do that, you need too" (which we already knew).

On the CEAC website my LND number will only work on the Immigrant Visa (IV) and not the Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV), and when the pop up box appears there is a link that takes me to a page where I grabbed the screen shot from, it also says int he pop up box...

IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
At NVC

On looking on the London Embassy website it classes K1 Fiance(e) as an Immigrant Visa hence why I believe the LND Number only works on Immigrant Visa (IV)? I understand that the route it shows on the screen shot is not the entire process we should be doing, hence why it was flagging concerns.

Last edited by Trilo; Jul 23rd 2018 at 10:43 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2018, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trilo
Sorry, I meant the I-129F was approved on the 10th July, we filed last December and my USC fiancee has received the I-797 NOA . I have not received any paper work as of yet regards booking my medical or embassy interview, but my USC fiancee called the NVC and they gave her my LND number and Invoice ID Number over the phone, she was also told "Don't wait to receive an interview date because we are not going to do that, you need too" (which we already knew).

On the CEAC website my LND number will only work on the Immigrant Visa (IV) and not the Non-Immigrant Visa (NIV), and when the pop up box appears there is a link that takes me to a page where I grabbed the screen shot from, it also says int he pop up box...

IMMIGRANT VISA APPLICATION
At NVC

On looking on the London Embassy website it classes K1 Fiance(e) as an Immigrant Visa hence why I believe the LND Number only works on Immigrant Visa (IV)? I understand that the route it shows on the screen shot is not the entire process we should be doing, hence why it was flagging concerns.
Just stick to the instructions for K-1 on the London embassy website from now on until you have your visa.