Reload this Page >

Advice needed moving back for a year

Wikiposts

Advice needed moving back for a year

Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:47 am
Just Joined

englexas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed moving back for a year

I was born and raised in England but haven't lived in the UK for 10 years, am married to an American and have a permanent resident card here.

We are wanting to move back to the UK for about a year and am needing some advice.

I know that my hubby can stay there for 6 months without a Visa but is the process to extend to one year difficult/expensive. If it's a lot of work we may just stick to 6 months! We are even considering my husband studying over there - he has been wanting to get his business degree.

Also, I was planning on getting UK passports for each of my kids before we leave and heard that it's $275 each - would it be easier/cheaper to wait until we are actually in the UK and get their passports there? And does anyone have the link for the online forms to get the UK passports in the states - I can't seem to find it anywhere!

I know it's a lot, as you can tell it's still early days, lots for us to figure out! Thanks for you're help!

Last edited by englexas; Jan 12th 2012 at 8:40 am. Reason: added that I am a UK citizen
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:24 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed moving back for a year

Are you a UK citizen? you don't say.
For longer than 6 months you should probably get a Visa for your Dh, I'd get the kids UK passports before leaving for the UK.
Rules are changing April 1st so you may just want to get a move on before it gets tougher to take a foreign spouse to live in UK.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:40 am
Just Joined

englexas is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about that I was born and raised in England so yes, I'm a citizen
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

paulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of lightpaulpur is a glorious beacon of light

i dont believe you can extend the 6month tourist visa so you would probably need to get a visa for your husband, besides that, i doubt that he'd be able to study on the tourist visa which would put his plans to study up the creek

as far as the passports for your kids, it would be cheaper to get them in the UK when you are here, however, ive no idea what sort of stick you would get at the POE with them being UK citizens and not having UK passports , but i dare saylegally, they are allowed to enter on their US passports but i assume they would be landed as visitors, ive no idea how it would work with their status when you get their passports....perhaps someone who has had any sort of experience with that could help on that point

here is the link to get the UK passports in the US in case thats what you decide to do. http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/
Old Jan 12th 2012, 11:40 pm
Banned

Mikemilter is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont have much experience regarding this issue...:-(
Old Jan 13th 2012, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulpur
i dont believe you can extend the 6month tourist visa so you would probably need to get a visa for your husband, besides that, i doubt that he'd be able to study on the tourist visa which would put his plans to study up the creek

as far as the passports for your kids, it would be cheaper to get them in the UK when you are here, however, ive no idea what sort of stick you would get at the POE with them being UK citizens and not having UK passports , but i dare saylegally, they are allowed to enter on their US passports but i assume they would be landed as visitors, ive no idea how it would work with their status when you get their passports....perhaps someone who has had any sort of experience with that could help on that point

here is the link to get the UK passports in the US in case thats what you decide to do. http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/
Brits can enter the UK using foreign passports without any hassle from the Immigration Officer...but as you say they will be admitted as visitors. It is possible to have their status changed at a later date...but I have no idea how much work is involved.