Advice needed

Old Oct 1st 2019, 6:44 am
Just Joined

AdamH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed

Hi everyone,

Any advice on the following would be very much appreciated.

I am a UK citizen an dmy girlfriend is American. We want to marry and live in the States.

This is where it gets complicated, she is currently working in Qatar planning on returning to the states next year. She wants me to be able to join her when she returns preferably with no more time apart (we've had enough of that already).

I've read that it's possible to apply for a fiance visa while not actually based in the States, we know that she will need a confirmed job for her return to the states in order to sponsor me and that this would need to be in place before I would attend my interview at the embassy here in the UK.

Can anyone advise how long it will take between applying for the visa and being called for interview? If it helps her family are happy to receive documents to their address in the US and forward them via courier.

Any advice on this or anything that we should be aware of would be great.

Thank you in advance.

Adam
Old Oct 1st 2019, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Wirksworth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed

Hi Adam,
We:
Filed our I- 129F in Early Sept 2018
The I 797 arrived in April
I organised the Medical in June
I had the London USA embassy interview in July - Passport with Visa returned in 7 days
Flew over in late August
Married in September
Filled AOS, EAD and Advance Parole Sept 19

We did all the forms ourselves - there are lots, with the grateful help of this forum -
Happy to answer any questions on the process.
Things I learned:
Getting the process clear is important
There are plenty of Youtube videos on the individual forms - just google the form number
Booking the Medical was a pain as it took hrs to get to talk to them but this was a timing issue I think as they were busy
When you have the interview at the Embassy - go to the head of the long visa queue and you get priority.
The USA entry process is straightforward
The process is well covered here - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1_

Last edited by Wirksworth; Oct 1st 2019 at 12:25 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2019, 1:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If her income/job is an issue, one of her parents (or any other USC or LPR living in the USA) can complete the I-134 Affidavit of Support.

Rene
Old Oct 1st 2019, 2:09 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The USC being aboard does not especially complicate things as long as they have intent to domicile, nor are the financial requirements for the K1 as stringent as they will be for the AOS when you are in country.