Wikiposts

advanced parole

Old Jun 27th 2005, 4:13 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: advanced parole

Originally Posted by Paw1
Great news. I received my AP 2 days ago. Here's what happened. I talked to the supervisor at my local office about my situation and that I had to have my AP within a week. He made that his personal mission. He talked to the NBC and made it happen within 48 hrs. He called me on a Saturday to inform me that it was approved. Wow! I am really impressed. He managed to change my openion on USCIS.

I don't want any problems when I return so here are my question. I received 2 documents (they look the same to me), do I take both of them with me? What exactly happens at the port of entry? What other documents do I have to show? Thanks
Hi:

Take both with you. If you have a multiple entry I-512, one will be returned to you at the POE. The Los Angeles District used to put a cover letter with the AP recommending that one make several extra photocopies to take with you so that if the airline or the POE want to lift one, they can do so with ease.

Additional documents? Your passport is a good idea. At the POE, you might be sent to Secondary so they can confirm that your application exists and is still pending. Don't make any tight connections for return to US [always a good idea in any case].
Old Jun 29th 2005, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

andipav is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: advanced parole

Glad you had a positive experience, there really are some helpful and friendly people who go out of their way.

To try and answer your questions

Take both papers - they are identical. (also take a photocopy to keep as a record - try not the lose the AP - I hear its not easy to replace)
Immigration on the way back into the US will take one AP and stamp the other one which you keep. They did not take mine the first time through actually but not sure if that was an error. Took it the second time i think.

My experience is that when you check in on way back airline may look your AP over. No issues there, they are just checking you have a valid entry reason. Then when you get to immigration back in US they do one of two things ( I have been through about 5 times and its not always the same but last 3 times was same)

If I am with my husband I go through the residents line, without him I go through the visitors line. Not 100% why this is but has been my experience so far.

1) They either check and stamp as you go through. They may ask a few questions. Keep answers brief and to the point. Only show your passport, customs declaration, I 94, (white form) and AP ( I always take the receipts for my AOS etc but have never shown them and keep them out of sight do not overcomplicate the issue, say nothing until asked and then answer the asked question and no more )

or
2) When you get to immigration at US on way back they look at your passport and then send you to a room where they have someone else deal with the stamping part. I think this is the new way. Its usually no problem just takes longer. They might ask what you do etc not much more. I came through today and they did not ask one question. the room will be filled with people who have a visa of some description. Don't get nervous or worry - they just want to check its all ok.

Hope that helps
Let me know if any other q's
Andi

Great news. I received my AP 2 days ago. Here's what happened. I talked to the supervisor at my local office about my situation and that I had to have my AP within a week. He made that his personal mission. He talked to the NBC and made it happen within 48 hrs. He called me on a Saturday to inform me that it was approved. Wow! I am really impressed. He managed to change my openion on USCIS.

I don't want any problems when I return so here are my question. I received 2 documents (they look the same to me), do I take both of them with me? What exactly happens at the port of entry? What other documents do I have to show? Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2005, 5:55 am
Just Joined

Butterfly8081 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Paw 1, Everyone

Did you have to provide any supporting documents for the office supervisor to take so much interest in your case? I am also in a similar situation and I have to go home in about a month and I have not recieved my AP yet. Its been more than 85 days since my notice date. In between I lost my new job b/c of an EAD delay...now I am worried if this will cause me problems to go home. Can you give me some more details about what you said to them?

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2005, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Hi

Hope it works out. Sounds like yours might also come through in time.

I went through my congressman, I made an appt to see the congressmans assistant and took all my supporting docs, ie letter from lawyer explaining his mistake and my receipts for all my applications and he took it from there.

Good luck
andi

Originally Posted by Butterfly8081
Hello Paw 1, Everyone

Did you have to provide any supporting documents for the office supervisor to take so much interest in your case? I am also in a similar situation and I have to go home in about a month and I have not recieved my AP yet. Its been more than 85 days since my notice date. In between I lost my new job b/c of an EAD delay...now I am worried if this will cause me problems to go home. Can you give me some more details about what you said to them?

Thanks
Old Jun 30th 2005, 8:50 am
Just Joined

Unhappy Re: advanced parole

Originally Posted by andipav
Hi

Hope it works out. Sounds like yours might also come through in time.

I went through my congressman, I made an appt to see the congressmans assistant and took all my supporting docs, ie letter from lawyer explaining his mistake and my receipts for all my applications and he took it from there.

Good luck
andi
Andi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You mentioned about some letter from your lawyer regarding his mistake. What is that? Also the main reason for us going is because our parents have arranged a religious ceremony of our wedding in my home country. Our tickets have been booked. The invitation has been sent and the banquet hall has been booked. Lots of our relatives from other countries are also attending and they have all booked their tickets. Do you think this is a valid reason to get an emergency AP???? And what supporting documents can i take in this situation if i want to approach the congressman? I am very confused about this whole thing.

Butterfly
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:50 am
Just Joined

Hi

We were in a very similar situation, 200 guests at a full greek wedding in London! My understanding as explained to me at my center is that technically emergency means a death or someone dying in the family ( and you need to prove this somehow ) - the threads show there is more than one way to get your case expedited but this is the only one I know from experience myself. (also different centers act in different ways and this was also a year ago)

The good news is that the congressman just wants to help so all you need are your receipts from the USCIS that show your status and applications etc. perhaps an invitation for the wedding as proof would be helpful and then just make an appointment and go and explain. They are there to "serve" and help in these situations and i found the assistant amazingly helpful and friendly. ( assuming that your spouse is an American Citizen and you filed in the state in which the congressman serves. ) I am sure that the congressman will tell you if there is anything else s/he needs.

As an aside that did not really matter to the congressman really anyway, our additional problem with the lawyer was that he asked us to write the check and it got returned as he asked us to write it to the wrong agency and by the time it was returned, a new one sent and then a new receipt sent then we had lost a lot of valuable time. He also lost photo's before that delaying the original application. Anyway it all worked out and we have a new lawyer now! I am also personally a lot better informed on all matters regarding my paperwork and that helps relieve my stress now. I find these message boards full of useful, practical and accurate advise.

Good luck with it all
sincerely
andi

Andi,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You mentioned about some letter from your lawyer regarding his mistake. What is that? Also the main reason for us going is because our parents have arranged a religious ceremony of our wedding in my home country. Our tickets have been booked. The invitation has been sent and the banquet hall has been booked. Lots of our relatives from other countries are also attending and they have all booked their tickets. Do you think this is a valid reason to get an emergency AP???? And what supporting documents can i take in this situation if i want to approach the congressman? I am very confused about this whole thing.

Butterfly
Old Jul 1st 2005, 11:55 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bekieu
Anyone out there got the advanced parole? Can you please tell me how
long did it?
Thanks
Applied for it in Jan, dated received Feb, got it in August after phoning our senator, don't hold your breath.......
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Andi,

Thanks for the reply. Your experience is very helpful to me. My case status will be approaching 90 days in about 4 more days. So I think I will try to setup an appointment with the Congressmans office if I dont get the approval by the 90th day. We do have our invitation as proof. Also our parents had booked the church and the banquet hall for the reception a very long time ago. I will try to get the reciepts for that also. Anyway, once again, thanks a lot for your help. I will keep you posted about my status.

Butterfly

Originally Posted by andipav
Hi

We were in a very similar situation, 200 guests at a full greek wedding in London! My understanding as explained to me at my center is that technically emergency means a death or someone dying in the family ( and you need to prove this somehow ) - the threads show there is more than one way to get your case expedited but this is the only one I know from experience myself. (also different centers act in different ways and this was also a year ago)

The good news is that the congressman just wants to help so all you need are your receipts from the USCIS that show your status and applications etc. perhaps an invitation for the wedding as proof would be helpful and then just make an appointment and go and explain. They are there to "serve" and help in these situations and i found the assistant amazingly helpful and friendly. ( assuming that your spouse is an American Citizen and you filed in the state in which the congressman serves. ) I am sure that the congressman will tell you if there is anything else s/he needs.

As an aside that did not really matter to the congressman really anyway, our additional problem with the lawyer was that he asked us to write the check and it got returned as he asked us to write it to the wrong agency and by the time it was returned, a new one sent and then a new receipt sent then we had lost a lot of valuable time. He also lost photo's before that delaying the original application. Anyway it all worked out and we have a new lawyer now! I am also personally a lot better informed on all matters regarding my paperwork and that helps relieve my stress now. I find these message boards full of useful, practical and accurate advise.

Good luck with it all
sincerely
andi
Old Jul 4th 2005, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Andi,

Thanks for the reply. Your experience is very helpful to me. My case status will be approaching 90 days in about 4 more days. So I think I will try to setup an appointment with the Congressmans office if I dont get the approval by the 90th day. We do have our invitation as proof. Also our parents had booked the church and the banquet hall for the reception a very long time ago. I will try to get the reciepts for that also. Anyway, once again, thanks a lot for your help. I will keep you posted about my status.

Butterfly
Don't wait for 90 days, that doesn't mean anything for AP applications only for EAD. If I were you I'd make an Infopass appointment with your local office and explain to them the situation. Take copies of your travel itinerary and a cover letter explaining that it would be a great financial loss if you wern't able to go. I think that's also grounds for a speedy AP. What we did was, we told the lady at the counter that we needed to talk to her supervisor. We told him the situation and asked him to call the NBC for us. It's easier for them to convince the NBC that this is urgent. Give the supervisor your phone number and let him know that you'll be waiting for his call no matter how it goes. If the Local office is close to you, show up again in 2 days and ask for an update. The guy we talked to was really nice... hope it works out for you. Also make an appointment with your congress rep. Try it both ways. Good luck.
Old Jul 4th 2005, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Thanks Paw1. I do have an infopass appointment setup for this week. Although I selected EAD as the reason for appointment, I will also be inquiringabout my AP. I am planning to talk to the supervisor because from my experience (from prior visits last week to the USCIS office) the people at the counter are not very friendly. I have an appointment this week so I hope I can get everything worked out by this week itself. I will keep everyone posted on my case.

Also does anyone know whether I need to take new photos for AP when I go to the local office??

Butterfly

Don't wait for 90 days, that doesn't mean anything for AP applications only for EAD. If I were you I'd make an Infopass appointment with your local office and explain to them the situation. Take copies of your travel itinerary and a cover letter explaining that it would be a great financial loss if you wern't able to go. I think that's also grounds for a speedy AP. What we did was, we told the lady at the counter that we needed to talk to her supervisor. We told him the situation and asked him to call the NBC for us. It's easier for them to convince the NBC that this is urgent. Give the supervisor your phone number and let him know that you'll be waiting for his call no matter how it goes. If the Local office is close to you, show up again in 2 days and ask for an update. The guy we talked to was really nice... hope it works out for you. Also make an appointment with your congress rep. Try it both ways. Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Paw1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Paw1. I do have an infopass appointment setup for this week. Although I selected EAD as the reason for appointment, I will also be inquiringabout my AP. I am planning to talk to the supervisor because from my experience (from prior visits last week to the USCIS office) the people at the counter are not very friendly. I have an appointment this week so I hope I can get everything worked out by this week itself. I will keep everyone posted on my case.

Also does anyone know whether I need to take new photos for AP when I go to the local office??

Butterfly
Photos are required if you are applying for AP, you've already applied so I don't think you need to take photos with you again. I was fortunate to have very friendly people at the counter. In a way they felt responsible for my situation because a few months earlier they had adviced me to apply there instead of mailing it to Chicago. But when I got there with my AP application, the rules had changed. I mailed it to Chicago but I was running out of time. I let them know that it was partly their doing. Anyway, hope things work out for you at the local office this time.