Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advance parole question: does the applicant have to stay in the US until she gets it?

Wikiposts

Advance parole question: does the applicant have to stay in the US until she gets it?

Old Aug 24th 2003, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Libbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advance parole question: does the applicant have to stay in the US until she gets it?

Hello,

I would be very grateful if you could clarify the following issue for me.

Does a K1 beneficiary have to stay in the US and wait until she gets the advance parole (after she gets married and applies for the status adjustment and advance parole)? Or can she leave the US (soon after marriage and applying for status adjustment and advance parole), without getting the advance parole before she leaves, and have the advance parole mailed to her abroad?

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 24th 2003, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

You need to have it before you leave. You will have an entry stamp on your passport in the country you are traveling to prior to the date of issuance of the Advance Parole if you leave before getting it. The BCIS considers it an abandonment of your petition if you leave the country prior to obtaining the advance parole. Another thing to consider..............many local BCIS offices require you to pick up you AP in person.

Cheers,

Leslie
Old Aug 24th 2003, 3:21 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advance parole question: does the applicant have to stay in the US until she gets

Originally posted by Libbee
Hello,

I would be very grateful if you could clarify the following issue for me.

Does a K1 beneficiary have to stay in the US and wait until she gets the advance parole (after she gets married and applies for the status adjustment and advance parole)? Or can she leave the US (soon after marriage and applying for status adjustment and advance parole), without getting the advance parole before she leaves, and have the advance parole mailed to her abroad?

Thank you for your help!
Hi:

Your question is a little incomplete. It depends upuon if the person wants to use the advance parole to return to the United States.

If they don't care that the advance parole will be useless and they are willing to start all over again while remaining outside of the United States, the above scenario is just fine.

However, if the intention is to get the advance parole to enable them to return to the US ASAP, then you have to wait.
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:21 am
Just Joined

Libbee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advance parole question: does the applicant have to stay in the US until she gets

Thank you very much for your responses!

To complete my question, yes, the K1 beneficiary in question (who is myself) intends to return to the US after a trip abroad. The circumstances are such that it appears that I would need to leave the US for a short period soon after entering it with the K1 visa. I do not want to start the process from the very beginning, so it appears from your responses that I would need to wait in the US for an advance parole.

Does anybody have any suggestions if it is possible to speed up the process of obtaining an advance parole once I apply for it?

Many thanks for your help!