Advance Parole

Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Advance Parole

Hello everyone.....

Hope everyone who is already in the US (like me) is getting ready for Thanksgiving!!!!!

I have a quick, probably silly, paranoid question - but you know what we're all like, about Advance Parol (I-131).

I applied and was approved for an Advance Parole last year (Sep) when I applied for my AOS. The AP was valid for one year.

My question is......as I now have my Green Card (a Conditional one as I came in on a K1 visa) do I need to reapply for an AP in case I need to travel outside the US before the restrictions are removed in October 2012? I'm hoping I'm right and that I don't, as I really would prefer not to pay $360 for the privilege of permission to return to the US if I don't actually end up needing it. We have no plans to visit the UK until spring 2013 so would only be needing an AP to allow re-entry to the US in the unfortunate event of an emergency arising with my elderly Mother or son who still live in the UK.

As I said, I'm probably being paranoid....but then again maybe not....would appreciate your input.

Cheers

Tina

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:28 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance Parole

Originally Posted by jimandtina2008
My question is......as I now have my Green Card (a Conditional one as I came in on a K1 visa) do I need to reapply for an AP in case I need to travel outside the US before the restrictions are removed in October 2012?
No. Now that you have your Green Card, you no longer need AP to travel.

If you plan to travel around the time your current 2-year Green Card will expire, make sure you have the 1-year extension letter that USCIS will send you after you file the I-751 to remove conditions. You will need that extension letter to travel at that time, if your 2-year green card has expired.

Rene
Old Nov 16th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.....

Hope everyone who is already in the US (like me) is getting ready for Thanksgiving!!!!!

I have a quick, probably silly, paranoid question - but you know what we're all like, about Advance Parol (I-131).

I applied and was approved for an Advance Parole last year (Sep) when I applied for my AOS. The AP was valid for one year.

My question is......as I now have my Green Card (a Conditional one as I came in on a K1 visa) do I need to reapply for an AP in case I need to travel outside the US before the restrictions are removed in October 2012? I'm hoping I'm right and that I don't, as I really would prefer not to pay $360 for the privilege of permission to return to the US if I don't actually end up needing it. We have no plans to visit the UK until spring 2013 so would only be needing an AP to allow re-entry to the US in the unfortunate event of an emergency arising with my elderly Mother or son who still live in the UK.

As I said, I'm probably being paranoid....but then again maybe not....would appreciate your input.

Cheers

Tina

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!
Nope, Advance Parole allows you to travel while waiting for the Green Card. Once you have the Green Card that's all you need (plus your passport to get in and out of non-US countries of course!)
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

jimandtina2008 will become famous soon enough

Thank you very much - that puts my mind at rest :-)
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:25 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You are a Permanent Resident of the USA, you do not need advance parole to return to the USA from a trip abroad.

Regards, JEff

My question is......as I now have my Green Card (a Conditional one as I came in on a K1 visa) do I need to reapply for an AP in case I need to travel outside the US before the restrictions are removed in October 2012?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

I received my AP in June - travelled on it to UK
Received Green Card - travelled to UK in Sept on it plus passport and its all you now need (mine is same as yours 2 year conditional)

Immigration officer looked at it in San Fran and said Welcome Back!
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

abbygayle is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
I received my AP in June - travelled on it to UK
Received Green Card - travelled to UK in Sept on it plus passport and its all you now need (mine is same as yours 2 year conditional)

Immigration officer looked at it in San Fran and said Welcome Back!
How long does 'Advance Parole' typically take to come through when submitted with AOS? I am trying to establish how long approximately a person may have to remain in the US while waiting for an application for Advance Parole to be considered.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:17 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbygayle
How long does 'Advance Parole' typically take to come through when submitted with AOS? I am trying to establish how long approximately a person may have to remain in the US while waiting for an application for Advance Parole to be considered.
about 90 days

be careful with its use
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 7:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbygayle
It takes about 90 days to get AP in hand after filing AOS. Not everyone qualifies to use AP, though, so since we don't know anything about the person who wants to use it, we can't recommend anything.

Rene