"Advance Parole"

Old Feb 5th 2006, 7:14 pm
flipperz_39

flipperz_39 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Advance Parole"

Hello Experts:

I would like to leave the US before receiving the Green card (i.e. conditional permanent resident). I have been able to find out that i need to apply for something called the 'advance parole' in order to do that. I just want to get more details on this. That is,

- how long does it take to get the 'advance parole' approved?

- Where can i find more details on how to apply for 'advance parole'?

- Can I apply for 'advance parole' at the same time we apply for I485?

- Is it even advisable to apply for 'advance parole' and to leave the US before the I485(i.e. conditional permanent residency) is approved?

Thanks for your time and attention!
Old Feb 5th 2006, 8:09 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: "Advance Parole"

Originally Posted by flipperz_39
Hello Experts:

I would like to leave the US before receiving the Green card (i.e. conditional permanent resident). I have been able to find out that i need to apply for something called the 'advance parole' in order to do that. I just want to get more details on this. That is,

- Is it even advisable to apply for 'advance parole' and to leave the US before the I485(i.e. conditional permanent residency) is approved?

1. 2 to 3 months

2. Forms are on the USCIS web site.

3. Yes, you can not apply before the I485

4. I did, technically you are paroled back into the US rather than admitted, but if you have no problems, overstays whatever should not be an issue - your call.
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Experts:

Hi:

1. Once the AP is approved, you can compute the amount of time it took.

2. Yes, it can be filed concurrently. Since you seem to be doing a Family Based petition, it is filed via the "Chicago Lockbox" on form I-131.

3. You don't give enough facts on the advisability. If you have overstayed a timed non-immigrant admission for more than 180 days, it is NOT advisable to do an advance parole. Also, if you use advance parole and something goes wrong, you are NOT entitled to any bond if you are placed in removal proceedings [don't think it can't happen].
Old Feb 5th 2006, 9:21 pm
Salinator

The whole purpose of the I-131 Advance Parole document is to allow you
to leave the country prior to your AOS being approved. That way you are
not held in the US if you need to travel for various reasons. The
document that they send you is good for a year, and should bridge the
gap until your AOS is approved. You can apply at the same time as your

I applied for mine just recently and it took approximately 60 days to
be processed and approved.

If you are travelling, it is a must otherwise if you leave the country
without it, the USCIS will consider your application 'abandoned' and
you may not be let back in the US.

Old Feb 5th 2006, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

monica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nice

I applied for the AP at he the same time with adjustment of status forms. I paid the AP fee, but I received my conditional permanent resident card before I got my AP so I lost the money spent for the AP. It took 12 months to get my green card and 13 months to have my AP approved! (with Nebraska office).
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:05 am
Just Joined

maxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nicemaxalt is just really nice

Do NOT do it, wait until you have your greencard.
That's all I have to say.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 2:46 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monica&ed
I applied for the AP at he the same time with adjustment of status forms. I paid the AP fee, but I received my conditional permanent resident card before I got my AP so I lost the money spent for the AP. It took 12 months to get my green card and 13 months to have my AP approved! (with Nebraska office).
Wow! That's the longest AP approval I've ever heard of!

To the OP - go to www.uscis.gov, click on Forms & Fees, and find Form I-131. That's the AP application.

Rene
Old Feb 6th 2006, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

BrideOfBritBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

We applied for DH's advance parole at the same time we filed his I-485 (we also applied for employment authorization at that time.) It took about 2 months to get his AP. However, that was over 2 years ago.

I would suggest applying for advance parole with your I-485, as most people here have probably done. In fact, I'm pretty sure that the bulk of I-485 applications come with the I-131 (travel document) and the I-765 (employment authorization.)

DH left the country (we went to the Bahamas) while his I-485 was being processed, and it was no problem.
Old Feb 6th 2006, 1:53 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

monica&ed,

How long ago was this?

Your experience may not be relevant these days, since you mention "Nebraska office".

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by monica&ed
Old Feb 11th 2006, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

monica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nicemonica&ed is just really nice

I filled for the AP in March 2004. I got my CPR in March 2005. I called the 1-800 nr and told them I don't need the AP anymore coz I have my CPR and requested to withdraw my AP application and have my money refunded ($130). Of course, they said No. One month later I had my AP approved!!!