Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Advance I-751 [Removal of Conditions] and N-400 [Naturalisation] Question...

Wikiposts

Advance I-751 [Removal of Conditions] and N-400 [Naturalisation] Question...

Old Jan 2nd 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advance I-751 [Removal of Conditions] and N-400 [Naturalisation] Question...

Hi All,

To provide some context; my wife is a US Citizen residing here with me in the UK (London) on a spousal visa. We have been married for less than two years but decided we wanted to move to America permanently to build a life there together.

I know this question will seem premature given that I'm still in UK and only in the process of securing my CR-1 visa, but it occurred to me recently and so I thought I'd ask...

As part of the visa application process, we have to demonstrate financial stability [Form I-864] and plan to do that using bank statements showing cash assets.

The question is; when it comes to the I-751 [Removal of Conditions] process and the N-400 [Naturalisation] process, do we still need to show cash assets, steady income, etc? If we pour our savings into buying a house when we get to America for example, could we end up landing ourselves in difficulty when it comes to the removal of conditions, or even my naturalisation?

I appreciate this could be a total non-issue, but thought it better to check as I try to understand that various stages in the journey toward citizenship.

Many Thanks!

Rich.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 12:04 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance I-751 [Removal of Conditions] and N-400 [Naturalisation] Question...

Originally Posted by richbogle84
The question is; when it comes to the I-751 [Removal of Conditions] process and the N-400 [Naturalisation] process, do we still need to show cash assets, steady income, etc?
No.

Ian
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 1:38 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advance I-751 [Removal of Conditions] and N-400 [Naturalisation] Question...

It seems that you haven't even bothered to read the few pages of instructions for those applications.

Regards, JEff

The question is; when it comes to the I-751 [Removal of Conditions] process and the N-400 [Naturalisation] process, do we still need to show cash assets, steady income, etc?
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:21 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Rene
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

richbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond reputerichbogle84 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ian, Thanks JEff, Thanks Rene

For clarity JEff, I had in fact read up on both processes.

Although the provision of financial records showing joint ownership of assets are mentioned, this seems to primarily serve as evidence of relationship, and exact amounts go unspecified.

Since financial stability is such a 'big deal' in the visa application process, with exact amounts, sponsors, poverty levels, forms, etc, I thought it strange they weren't highlighted in the other stages. For that reason, I simply figured it would be best to double check with folks on this forum who may have already gone through those stages.

Anyways, I'm glad to hear that the exact amount of savings is a non-issue for the I-751 [Removal of Conditions] process and the N-400 [Naturalisation] process!

Many Thanks!

Rich.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 2:42 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. So, you already had the answer to your questions.
For clarity JEff, I had in fact read up on both processes.

Although the provision of financial records showing joint ownership of assets are mentioned, this seems to primarily serve as evidence of relationship, and exact amounts go unspecified.
The issue was definitively settled during the visa application process (or for some during the adjustment of status process). Do you remember the I-864? Do you understand what the I-864 is? Do you remember the term of the I-864 - how long it remains in effect?
Since financial stability is such a 'big deal' in the visa application process, with exact amounts, sponsors, poverty levels, forms, etc, I thought it strange they weren't highlighted in the other stages.
Regards, JEff
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Do you remember the I-864? Do you understand what the I-864 is? Do you remember the term of the I-864 - how long it remains in effect?
Hi JEff

Yep, I'm aware of the I-864 Affidavit of Support Form. I haven't used it yet but I've drafted one in anticipation of an interview date here in London if all goes to plan From what I understand, the obligations under I-864 only end if the I become a USC, have worked 10 years, lose permanent resident status, or die.

Given that my wife and I are using cash assets to demonstrate that I will not become a public charge (rather than the income of a sponsor) it wouldn't have surprised me if they wanted to check sufficient assets are still in place at the Removal of Conditions stage or even the Naturalisation stage.

Like I said though, I'm just glad to hear that the exact amount of savings is a non-issue for the I-751 and N-400 processes! Phew!

Thanks Again!

Rich.
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Given that my wife and I are using cash assets to demonstrate that I will not become a public charge (rather than the income of a sponsor) it wouldn't have surprised me if they wanted to check sufficient assets are still in place at the Removal of Conditions stage or even the Naturalisation stage.
I understand your logic, but since the I-864 will still be in effect at the time you remove conditions and later naturalize, the sponsor is still on the hook financially. So there's no need to review the financial part of things...whether the finances are there in place or not, the sponsor is still under obligation.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 3rd 2013 at 3:29 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 3rd 2013, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I understand your logic, but since the I-864 will still be in effect at the time you remove conditions and later naturalize, the sponsor is still on the hook financially. So there's no need to review the fnancial part of things...whether the finances are there in place or not, the sponsor is still under obligation.

Rene
Ahh that makes sense, thanks Rene Good to know all of this, and try to understand what's ahead so hopefully there are as few surprises as possible!

Thanks Ian and JEff for your input on all this too

Rich.