Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adminstrative processing 221(g)

Adminstrative processing 221(g)

Old Jan 8th 2008, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Aashish_Gonzalez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Adminstrative processing 221(g)

I went for my CR1 immigrant visa (US citizen spouse) interview in chennai yesterday. The interview was cool and the officer expressed no doubts about my relationship or application. But she did ask a lot of questions related to my aerospace defense industry experience in India and all of a sudden handed me two slips - one blue and one pink. The Blue slip said that my case is put under administrative processing and that they will contact me. The pink slip had a lot of questions related to my experience, research, projects, resume etc. and that i need to send them this information to continue processing this case. The consul officer mentioned that if i gave them the response via email, then it may around 4 weeks before they respond. I am under depression now as i dont know the reason behind this sudden turn of events.

Please tell me if this is just a routine security check or some other reason and how long this will take?

Do i need to consult an attorney?

Will they deny my visa? and for what reasons?

Please help me.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:40 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adminstrative processing 221(g)

Originally Posted by Aashish_Gonzalez
Please tell me if this is just a routine security check or some other reason and how long this will take?

Do i need to consult an attorney?

Will they deny my visa? and for what reasons?

Please help me.
Don't worry. This kind of admin processing is VERY common lately. Especially for people from countries such as India, Pakistan, Iran, etc....and especially for people with any kind of background in chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, defense industry, etc. Just give the embassy what they ask for and let them do their admin processing. Hopefully it will only take the 4 weeks they estimated. But, not to be bringing you bad news....but don't be surprised if it takes much longer.

But don't worry, it's very routine for people with your type of experience to go through additional admin processing after the interview. In all the cases I've seen like this, the visas all got approved eventually.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jan 8th 2008, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Adminstrative processing 221(g)

noorah, thanks a million. your reply just lifted my spirits high. i only hope that this process gets over quickly. i have been running door to door for this immigration. only praying to God to be with me as he has always.

thanks again. dont mind if i have further questions for you

Last edited by Aashish_Gonzalez; Jan 8th 2008 at 6:47 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:25 am
Just Joined

noorah, thanks a million. your reply just lifted my spirits high. i only hope that this process gets over quickly. i have been running door to door for this immigration. only praying to God to be with me as he has always.

thanks again. dont mind if i have further questions for you
hi all, just got my final apporved visa packet. and i am all set to fly ;-).
Thanks to all the members in this forum. you guys been a great help.

If anybody is applying for CR1 visa to the US from India, any queries can be forwarded to me as well. All in all it has taken me 5 solid months (short by comparison) and i am really grateful to the consulate at chennai (india) who are very prompt in thier email replies. My 221(g) came back as all clear within a month. I hear that this is the time it takes for most applicants.

I have one more query though. Would i need to purchase health / medical insurance for my travel to the US as is the case for B1 visa's?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:29 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have one more query though. Would i need to purchase health / medical insurance for my travel to the US as is the case for B1 visa's?
It's not required, but you can do so if you wish. Since you are married, you might want to see if you can get on your spouse's health/medical insurance (if she has it) before you fly out.

As for flight insurance, it's up to you.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Ana Armani is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't worry. This kind of admin processing is VERY common lately. Especially for people from countries such as India, Pakistan, Iran, etc....and especially for people with any kind of background in chemical engineering, aerospace engineering, defense industry, etc. Just give the embassy what they ask for and let them do their admin processing. Hopefully it will only take the 4 weeks they estimated. But, not to be bringing you bad news....but don't be surprised if it takes much longer.

But don't worry, it's very routine for people with your type of experience to go through additional admin processing after the interview. In all the cases I've seen like this, the visas all got approved eventually.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Hi, I am also very frustrated with this 221 (g) denial. My K1 Visa was approved in USA, then I had my interview where I reside, but the consul officer gave me one paper, declaring that my petition is sent back to DHS for review. I don't know what was the problem. My fiance is older than me, may be she suspended the case, but I am really dissapointed as I don't know how long should we wait again.
Please help,if you know anything connected with such kind of cases
Thanks
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ana Armani
My K1 Visa was approved in USA, then I had my interview where I reside...
Just to clarify, your K-1 visa was *not* approved. The I-129F petition was approved. Your K-1 visa will not be approved until after the administrative process has finished.

My fiance is older than me, may be she suspended the case...
Your profile shows that *you* are female. You mean *he* don't you? Did you ask him?

I don't know how long should we wait again.
Approval may take a few weeks, a few months, or a few years. There is really no way to know for sure.

It would help if we knew which country you lived in.

Ian
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:27 am

Hi, I am also very frustrated with this 221 (g) denial. My K1 Visa was approved in USA, then I had my interview where I reside, but the consul officer gave me one paper, declaring that my petition is sent back to DHS for review. I don't know what was the problem. My fiance is older than me, may be she suspended the case, but I am really dissapointed as I don't know how long should we wait again.
Please help,if you know anything connected with such kind of cases
Thanks
Hi Ana,

Your K-1 isn't approved yet. The I-129F petition was approved. Your K-1 will be approved when the admin processing is over. I am guessing from your name you're from the Middle East, and unfortunately no one knows how long admin processing will take. Just hang in there, you should get approved eventually.

Ian, I'm guessing from her name she might be Iranian. Farsi doesn't make a distinction between "he" and "she" and this is a common mistake in their English, to mix up the two words.

Rene
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Ana,

Your K-1 isn't approved yet. The I-129F petition was approved. Your K-1 will be approved when the admin processing is over. I am guessing from your name you're from the Middle East, and unfortunately no one knows how long admin processing will take. Just hang in there, you should get approved eventually.

Ian, I'm guessing from her name she might be Iranian. Farsi doesn't make a distinction between "he" and "she" and this is a common mistake in their English, to mix up the two words.

Rene
I am Georgian. It is between Europe and Asia. My fiance filed the application in September. It was approved in February, then sent to NVC and then here in Geogia. I had my interview in April. Everything was ok. I satisfied all the requests but I don't know why the case became suspended.
I don't understand why it was necessary to send my file back to USCIS, if they approved it there.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:13 am
Forum Regular

I am Georgian. It is between Europe and Asia. My fiance filed the application in September. It was approved in February, then sent to NVC and then here in Geogia. I had my interview in April. Everything was ok. I satisfied all the requests but I don't know why the case became suspended.
I don't understand why it was necessary to send my file back to USCIS, if they approved it there.
P.S. While stating "she", I meant the consul officer not my fiance.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:23 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

When did all this happen? Has your petition been returned yet?

This is very serious, Ana. Once the petition is sent back to the US, it becomes much more difficult to deal with and your fiance should strongly consider finding an attorney who deals with this types of case returns.
It's very important to note that until you figure out what problem the Consul saw, simply getting married and applying for a new visa will not help you. In fact it can make things worse.

I recommend that you and your fiance read this article Returning Petitions/Applications Under Section 221(g) of the INA, and the 2 articles linked at the bottom of the page titled
* Clash Of The Titan Bureaucracies? The Battle Between DHS And US Consulates
* Denials Of Family-Based Immigrant Visas At Consulates And DHS Petition Revocations
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna

This is very serious, Ana. Once the petition is sent back to the US, it becomes much more difficult to deal with and your fiance should strongly consider finding an attorney who deals with this types of case returns.
It's very important to note that until you figure out what problem the Consul saw, simply getting married and applying for a new visa will not help you. In fact it can make things worse.

I recommend that you and your fiance read this article Returning Petitions/Applications Under Section 221(g) of the INA, and the 2 articles linked at the bottom of the page titled
* Denials Of Family-Based Immigrant Visas At Consulates And DHS Petition Revocations
It happened on April 1. He has got an immigration attorney, but they didn't recieve anything yet. I really don't know what problem appeared,as I have everything in order, like police certificate, medical examination, proof of financial supprot and so on. I think she(consul) thinks age difference is a problem
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to clarify, your K-1 visa was *not* approved. The I-129F petition was approved. Your K-1 visa will not be approved until after the administrative process has finished.

Your profile shows that *you* are female. You mean *he* don't you? Did you ask him?

Approval may take a few weeks, a few months, or a few years. There is really no way to know for sure.

It would help if we knew which country you lived in.

Ian
While saying she I meant the consul officer,to whom I had the interview.
I live in Georgia. It is between Europe and Asia.
I thought after interview I would be given a visa.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna

Thanks very much. The information was very interesting and helpful.