Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Admin Review 221(g) - how long???

Wikiposts

Admin Review 221(g) - how long???

Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:00 am
Just Joined

SunnyM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Admin Review 221(g) - how long???

Hi all, our fiancee visa interview was held in May. The consular requested more evidence to prove our bona fide relationship since my fiancee is related to my ex-wife. I got a immigration lawyer who submitted affidavits from me, my ex-wife etc. It cost a fortune to hire a high quality AILA lawyer who understood what was required by the consular. Now I am just waiting for the consular's response. Originally it said 'Admin review, need more evidence'. Do anyone of you have any idea how long it may take for the consular to response? Please share if you have had any related experience in your case. Waiting for the love one is very painful and talking on the phone everyday does not ease that.

-Sunny.

Last edited by SunnyM; Jul 21st 2004 at 9:08 am.
Old Jul 20th 2004, 10:18 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Admin Review 221(g) - how long???

Sunny,

It may vary from consulate to consulate. It may also depend on what the issue is and what evidence was requested and provided.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by SunnyM
Hi all,

Our application is under admin review for further documentary evidence which I just submitted early last week at the embassy. I would like to know how long does it take for the embassy to get back to me. We had our k-1 interview on May 10th. Does it vary from embassy to embassy. Is it ok if I email the consular every now and then to check on the status of my application?

Thanks in advance.

-Sunny.
Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:14 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by jeffreyhy
Sunny,

It may vary from consulate to consulate. It may also depend on what the issue is and what evidence was requested and provided.

Regards, JEff
I think we provided the required documentary evidence to show how we started and currently keeping our bona fide relationship. I am thinking about showing up at the consular again in the near future if he doesn't give visa yet. That will show my third trip to my fiancee's country. What else can we do to prove that our love is for real? Any idea? Thanks...
Old Jul 21st 2004, 9:24 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I think we provided the required documentary evidence to show how we started and currently keeping our bona fide relationship. I am thinking about showing up at the consular again in the near future if he doesn't give visa yet. That will show my third trip to my fiancee's country. What else can we do to prove that our love is for real? Any idea? Thanks...
What does your high-quality AILA lawyer suggest you send as further evidence? Surely he/she must have some ideas. Did the consulate give you any other indications of what they are looking for? Another trip to your fiancee's country might show good intent, true. But I'm not sure you can just "show up" and ask to speak to the ConOff who is working on your case.

Try extra photographs, proof of wedding plans, more affidavits from friends/family, congratulatory cards/letters from friends/family after announcing your engagement, more correspondence between you and your fiancee....hard to know what else to tell you without knowing what you've already submitted as evidence. What consulate is it?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:00 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny,

Was the information about the nature of the 221(g) added by your edit? I don't recall seeing that when I first read your post...

Anyway, this looks like an interesting problem. I think I can understand the consular official's concern about the case, and I doubt that you are likely to get any reliable answers to your latest question below from an internet newsgroup. I would do as you did - get an attorney to handle this.

I seem to recall hearing about a situation like this - engaged to a relative of the ex - in Thailand not too long ago. If that's the country you are dealing with I can recommend a US immigration attorney with an office in Bangkok. His experience with that consulate may be worthwhile to you. Perhaps just a consultation to get a feel for how the consulate in general and individual officers in particular are to deal with, since you already have an attorney to handle the case itself.

Regards, JEff

Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:10 am

Hi Rene,

I can imagine that Sunny is in a difficult position. My guess is that the consular officer is concerned that Sunny is importing the family, 1 female at a time. How do any of these items address that concern? Take photos, write letters, make trips - indicates nothing about whether what's going on inside the mind is honest or devious.

I may sound cold-hearted, but that's what the consular officers are. It's their job to be that way, and that's the mind-set that must be dealt with.

I too would love to know what the lawyer suggested in the way of additional evidence.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Noorah101
What does your high-quality AILA lawyer suggest you send as further evidence? Surely he/she must have some ideas. Did the consulate give you any other indications of what they are looking for? Another trip to your fiancee's country might show good intent, true. But I'm not sure you can just "show up" and ask to speak to the ConOff who is working on your case.

Try extra photographs, proof of wedding plans, more affidavits from friends/family, congratulatory cards/letters from friends/family after announcing your engagement, more correspondence between you and your fiancee....hard to know what else to tell you without knowing what you've already submitted as evidence. What consulate is it?

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:10 am
Just Joined

Sunny,

Was the information about the nature of the 221(g) added by your edit? I don't recall seeing that when I first read your post...

Anyway, this looks like an interesting problem. I think I can understand the consular official's concern about the case, and I doubt that you are likely to get any reliable answers to your latest question below from an internet newsgroup. I would do as you did - get an attorney to handle this.

I seem to recall hearing about a situation like this - engaged to a relative of the ex - in Thailand not too long ago. If that's the country you are dealing with I can recommend a US immigration attorney with an office in Bangkok. His experience with that consulate may be worthwhile to you. Perhaps just a consultation to get a feel for how the consulate in general and individual officers in particular are to deal with, since you already have an attorney to handle the case itself.

Regards, JEff
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I am dealing with US Embassy in Laos, and I would like to know how to get an immigration lawyer in that country to deal with a case like mine. I tried to search on the internet but came up empty. An US Immigration lawyer in Laos would be the best choice to work on my case and now the question is how to find one. Thanks again...
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Hi Rene,

I can imagine that Sunny is in a difficult position. My guess is that the consular officer is concerned that Sunny is importing the family, 1 female at a time. How do any of these items address that concern? Take photos, write letters, make trips - indicates nothing about whether what's going on inside the mind is honest or devious.

I may sound cold-hearted, but that's what the consular officers are. It's their job to be that way, and that's the mind-set that must be dealt with.

I too would love to know what the lawyer suggested in the way of additional evidence.

Regards, JEff

This is first time I am trying to marry an woman from abroad. My ex-wife was already a legal us citizen when I married her. Thanks...
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:17 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,

Regards, JEff
That's true, JEff....I was just trying to help with the question of "what else can we do to prove our love is real?" part of the post. All they asked was "need more evidence". You're right, though....the items I sugggested do not address the concern you mentioned.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:18 am

This is first time I am trying to marry an woman from abroad. My ex-wife was already a legal us citizen when I married her. Thanks...
But she's still related to your ex-wife, which is an unusual situation and might make the ConOff probe deeper.

Rene
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Noorah101
But she's still related to your ex-wife, which is an unusual situation and might make the ConOff probe deeper.

Rene
The Unusual situation is the challenge I am facing right now. Since I am not from that country, my connection to my fiancee is through my ex-wife's extended family members. Thanks...
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:24 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

The Unusual situation is the challenge I am facing right now. Since I am not from that country, my connection to my fiancee is through my ex-wife's extended family members. Thanks...

Hey Sunny

I am sorry to hear your case is under admin review, I wish you nothing but the very best!!
Take care and keep us updated!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:32 am

Sunny,

Interesting new piece of information, but it doesn't change the basic concern much. You can get the woman into the country as your spouse many years sooner than your ex-wife can get her here as her sibling. So it's still a valid question - are you and the woman marrying for love or to get you ex-wifes relative into the USA?

Regards, JEff

Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:36 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny,

Interesting new piece of information, but it doesn't change the basic concern much. You can get the woman into the country as your spouse many years sooner than your ex-wife can get her here as her sibling. So it's still a valid question - are you and the woman marrying for love or to get you ex-wifes relative into the USA?

Regards, JEff

That question sounds mean.. but unfortunately that's what the conof might think
I wish things were easier sunny!!
Old Jul 21st 2004, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Sunny,

Regards, JEff
Thanks for saying it loud jeffreyhy.

I think the ConOff has the same question.

Last edited by SunnyM; Jul 22nd 2004 at 4:36 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.