Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Don't think so. My son got his gc at age 8 with a full 10 years on it. He had the biometrics done before the card was issued.

He will require more biometrics and a new green card. Why? Because you will not be able to tell it is him in a photo from 6 years earlier. Biometrics means more than photo; it is also fingerprinting.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:00 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keira-2007
(again, I ain't plannin' this but ya never know, and it's always worth knowing your rights) Legally we can still stay in the States but I will have no help from the US authorities, is that right? I must fully support myself and my daughter?
lol, being found out as a Nazi war criminal is one reason people have been 'de-naturalized'. I'm sure there are a very few other ways it can be taken back.

Now, about the I-864, that is a whole other can of worms. But, the short course is that divorce does not make it go away.
If your husband is completing it on yours + daughter's behalf, then HE is making a contract with the government to repay any of the particular 'means tested' benefits out there ('welfare' etc). A very few people have used it to sue the sponsor for a sort of spousal support, but if you ever divorce, I'd hope your lawyer could do better for you than 125% of the poverty guideline (which is all the I-864 promises).

There is a lot of support out there, but it's not in the same form you may be used to. As Permanent Residents, you will not be eligible for most of these means-tested benefits for your first 5 years here. After that you are eligible to naturalize.. oh lookie, there's yet another good reason to be a USC!

It's good to ask about this stuff.. better than operating in the dark anyway. I know how different the systems can be, and I think it's an excellent idea for all of you to know this sort of info. Always glad to flip a few links at you.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I'm sure there are a very few other ways it can be taken back.
IIRC, the *only* reason to strip someone of citizenship, is if they were *not* eligible to naturalize in the first place. Being a NWC certainly fits the bill... but anything that would normally not have allowed someone to naturalize can later be used against them.

Ian
Old Jul 13th 2008, 1:50 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
He will require more biometrics and a new green card. Why? Because you will not be able to tell it is him in a photo from 6 years earlier. Biometrics means more than photo; it is also fingerprinting.
Was my age (14) correct or not? Know it's somewhere round there! Also, do you have to initiate the process or do they send you something?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 6:42 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I know, he had his fingerprints taken aswell as photo as part of the process first time around.
Originally Posted by fatbrit
Was my age (14) correct or not? Know it's somewhere round there! Also, do you have to initiate the process or do they send you something?
That's something I'd like to know too. Why issue a card good for 10 years if a replacement and new biometrics will required sooner?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by keira-2007
Thanks Fatbrit. I hadn't realized we could go through the fast line! And thanks for the link to the Wiki. I don't know why, whenever I go into it, the headings are there but the content is missing?? Anyway, that was really useful. Guess the main consideration is that I had better not EVER fall out with hubbie if we stay as PR's! We are his responsibility aren't we. But if we became naturalized.... I wouldn't have to worry so much. ... Not that i;m planning on that happening you understand!

Thanks for the info ri_mischief. We have had our green card medicals, have about 450 documents to sign and send with our medical envelopes and photos and after that, i don't know. How long did it take once you'd send all the adjustment of status forms back? (And the ones signed by the employer etc?)
10 months - but I got stuck in FBI namecheck....doesn't apply anymore as there is a memo in the system USCIS that means that even if your name check isn't cleared, you can still get a greencard.

I'm going to stick my neck out and quote a website here which will allow you check the progress of others (I'm not in any way affiliated....) trackitt.com
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:23 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I
That's something I'd like to know too. Why issue a card good for 10 years if a replacement and new biometrics will required sooner?
Who Needs to Replace a Permanent Resident Card?
You will need to replace your permanent resident card if:

Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed;
Your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday;
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1____
Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:30 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Who Needs to Replace a Permanent Resident Card?
You will need to replace your permanent resident card if:

Your previous card was lost, stolen, mutilated, or destroyed;
Your card was issued to you before you were 14 and you have reached your 14th birthday;
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1____
Bugger. That means daughter's needs to be replaced next year, and we've not even had them a year yet. They could've made the expiry date the 14th birth date, so then at least you know it needs to be done.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 11:48 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Bugger. That means daughter's needs to be replaced next year, and we've not even had them a year yet. They could've made the expiry date the 14th birth date, so then at least you know it needs to be done.
Oh bugger as well. My 12 year old got her GC this January and it says it is valid until 2018.
I didn't realise it would need to be replaced and there was nothing with her card to say it would need replacing. Lawyers didn't mention anything either.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think so. My son got his gc at age 8 with a full 10 years on it. He had the biometrics done before the card was issued.
Does it have his photo on it? My daughter had to have hers redone when she was around 14...bios plus photo. It was about 10 years ago so maybe it's changed now.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:24 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
Oh bugger as well. My 12 year old got her GC this January and it says it is valid until 2018.
I didn't realise it would need to be replaced and there was nothing with her card to say it would need replacing. Lawyers didn't mention anything either.
No doubt there will be a fee involved ......
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:31 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
No doubt there will be a fee involved ......
There are very few certainties in life but that's one of them.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jumping doris
There are very few certainties in life but that's one of them.
Too true...
Old Jul 14th 2008, 12:15 pm
my arm aches

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Does it have his photo on it? My daughter had to have hers redone when she was around 14...bios plus photo. It was about 10 years ago so maybe it's changed now.

Yes, both kids have photos and a fingerprint on the card, and as JD said, there was nothing with the card or on the card to say it needs replacing at 14.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 4:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, both kids have photos and a fingerprint on the card, and as JD said, there was nothing with the card or on the card to say it needs replacing at 14.
USCIS also does not send you anything special to tell you to report changes of address, to file I-751 to remove conditions where appropriate or a reminder that your own card is about to expire.

I really get that you all would like it to be different, but there are a lot of things you are expected to keep track of on your own. The article Now That You Are a Permanent Resident is a helpful starting place at uscis.gov that covers your rights and responsibilities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.