Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Adjustment of Status and lost F1 visa

Adjustment of Status and lost F1 visa

Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:01 pm
Manchester born and bred

jsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond repute
Default Adjustment of Status and lost F1 visa

I've asked plenty of questions on here before and the feedback I have received has been extremely helpful.

So, here's one more...or two.

I'm currently in the process of AoS from F1 to Permanent Resident. While I have been over here as a student I lost my passport with my F1 visa inside. I have photocopies of both and have all my other documentation (I-20, etc..). I also have a new passport.

Here's my question. When applying for AoS I know that I have to send in photocopies of my F1 visa. The problem is am I going to have to present proof of my physical visa at any potential interview? There will obviously be records of my F1 status here, but will this be a problem?

Also, when entering my passport number on the AoS form, should I put the my old/lost one (the one I last entered the country on), or my new one?

I'm just a little worried that this could cause a problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by jsav; Apr 10th 2016 at 9:18 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adjustment of Status and lost F1 visa

Did you obtain the F-1 within the last year? If not then you only need to provide proof of lawful entry (e.g. Copy of I-94 or passport stamp). I would provide your old passport number since that is the one associated with your F-1 admission. You can explain about the old one getting lost at the interview or include an explanation with your AOS package.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:45 pm
Manchester born and bred

jsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond reputejsav has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerni
Did you obtain the F-1 within the last year? If not then you only need to provide proof of lawful entry (e.g. Copy of I-94 or passport stamp). I would provide your old passport number since that is the one associated with your F-1 admission. You can explain about the old one getting lost at the interview or include an explanation with your AOS package.
No, I obtained it in 2012. I've been here for almost 4 years now.

Well that all sounds very logical and reasonable. I just didn't want to send all the paperwork off without asking first.

Thank you very much.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 12:02 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, when filling out the AOS forms, wherever it asks for a passport number, I would provide your current one, because that's the current information. You can explain the list passport at the AOS interview, if asked.

Rene
Old Apr 11th 2016, 12:58 am
Manchester born and bred

Hmmm. Would the old passport number not be the one linked to my visa and my I-94 though? Or does that not matter?
Old Apr 11th 2016, 1:59 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsav
Or does that not matter?
It doesn't matter - they both link to you. I agree with Rene - use the new passport number for your AOS.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:00 am
Manchester born and bred

Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate the help.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Jerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond reputeJerni has a reputation beyond repute

If you use the new passport number on the AOS paperwork, I would definately include a letter explaining the old one was lost hence the different passport number associated with the proof of entry. Easy to do and covers all bases.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:13 am
Manchester born and bred

Originally Posted by Jerni
If you use the new passport number on the AOS paperwork, I would definately include a letter explaining the old one was lost hence the different passport number associated with the proof of entry. Easy to do and covers all bases.
That's definitely my plan.

So you don't think losing it is actually going to really affect anything then?
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

I don't think it will be an issue. My passport was expired for several years when I did my AOS. The key is having the proof of lawful admission.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:19 am
Manchester born and bred

I have plenty of that, so that makes me feel better. Thank you.
Old Apr 11th 2016, 2:52 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jsav
That's definitely my plan.

So you don't think losing it is actually going to really affect anything then?
No, it won't affect anything. You have photocopies of the visa and I-94, that's all that matters.

Rene
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:16 am
Manchester born and bred

Thank you.

I have another question though. I'm currently filling out form I-131. What do I check for application type?

Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:27 am

1d

Rene
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:30 am
Manchester born and bred

That's what I thought. Just wanted to double check.

Thanks again. You guys are the best!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.