Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

adjustment of status...answer is taking a bit too long is that normal?

Wikiposts

adjustment of status...answer is taking a bit too long is that normal?

Old Oct 8th 2001, 3:46 am
Baker

I came to the usa under k1 visa, I married my fiancee during the 90 days, I sent (by
mail) the adjustment of status application ( I-485 )on June 20th ( with the
Application for Employment Authorization), it's been about 4 months and I haven't
received any answer from the INS (not even the employment authorization) would it
take normally that long? what should i do? and does it affect my application that i
am arabic ( because of the attacks?) Thanks for any help

Old Oct 8th 2001, 4:00 am
K

it depends on what city you live in. in big cities like chicago, ny, etc it can take
up to 3 months to get the 1 year EAD and 2-3 years to get your adjustment of status
(greencard approved). in smaller cities you can get the EAD in 1 day to a few weeks.

however, you have a right to demand a 3 month temporary EAD if it takes the INS
longer than 90 days to process your 1 year EAD. this seems to be your case. so, you
might want to contact the INS to demand the temporary EAD.

good luck.

baker wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Oct 8th 2001, 4:11 am
Alvena Ferreira

baker wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Presuming that you sent this by some kind of verified delivery and know for sure that
they have it, I would go to the office and ask for an EAD. By the law, you are
entitled to it if it has been over 90 days since you filed. There are no guarantees,
but you have nothing to lose except a day at the INS office. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://k1.exit.com
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================

Old Oct 8th 2001, 5:54 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Baker,

You say that you haven't received "any answer". Do you mean no 'approved / not approved' answer, or do you mean no response to indicate that you applications have been received?

My wife received a notice that her AOS and EAD applications had been received about 2 weeks after mailing them in to the District Office. But, after 9 months there was no further action on either application. So she visited the office in person and she had the EAD within 30 minutes of showing the notice. The office had a file set up for the EAD application, but had never notified her to come in for processing.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Baker
I came to the usa under k1 visa, I married my fiancee during the 90 days, I sent (by
mail) the adjustment of status application ( I-485 )on June 20th ( with the
Application for Employment Authorization), it's been about 4 months and I haven't
received any answer from the INS (not even the employment authorization) would it
take normally that long? what should i do? and does it affect my application that i
am arabic ( because of the attacks?) Thanks for any help
Old Oct 10th 2001, 4:45 am
Baker

thanks for the help my wife sent the aos package but she didn't send it by any
kind of verified delivery ( she should have!) and I haven't received any response to
indicate that the applications have been received. Is there a problem or was the
package lost?

thanks

Old Oct 10th 2001, 5:45 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Baker,

I think you should take a trip to visit the District Office where the package was sent. Or to the Sub-district Office that serves you if the applications would have been forwarded to such sub-office by the District Office (which was my wife's situation). Take your copy of the package your wife sent, as it may be helpful to the staff in locating your file.

Regards, JEff

Originally posted by Baker
thanks for the help my wife sent the aos package but she didn't send it by any
kind of verified delivery ( she should have!) and I haven't received any response to
indicate that the applications have been received. Is there a problem or was the
package lost?

thanks